Atrix or Samsung Galaxy S2 ??

Guest MaxiP

I was going to buy an atrix as is ticked all my requirements but ended up getting a SGS2 (darn you eBay). The SGS2 is a lovely phone to use BUT one of the reasons I was looking at the Atrix is that I don't need a 4.3" screen - having used the SGS2 for a couple of weeks, I'm starting to regret not getting an Atrix (or other 4" device).

Has anyone played / used both devices and can give me any real reason why I should stick with the SGS2 ?

TIA

I'm the opposite, I wish i got he S2 instead of the Atrix! Don't get me wrong it is an excellent phone but the support from Moto is terrible! Us Atrix users are still stuck on 2.2 froyo when our American colleagues have had Gingerbread from July. Apparently to make the most of the phones capabilities Gingerbread is a must. I would happily swap you!

Edited by alfe

I'm the opposite, I wish i got he S2 instead of the Atrix! Don't get me wrong it is an excellent phone but the support from Moto is terrible! Us Atrix users are still stuck on 2.2 froyo when our American colleagues have had Gingerbread from July. Apparently to make the most of the phones capabilities Gingerbread is a must. I would happily swap you!

I'm guessing that you haven't rooted your Atrix then ? Can you give me age / condition / location / etc as I would consider a swap

Edited by MaxiP

No root. Excellent condition. Back sticker and front screen protector on since new. Location belfast.

Grrr :angry: - wish I had seen this post earlier as I sold the S2 on Gumtree yesterday. I'll be in Belfast for the weekend anyway.

If you are looking to change for a cash sale, PM me a price

Guest Maringer

Note: It is now pretty easy to unlock the bootloader on the Atrix. This means you can install other ROMs, including a very good CM7 beta. Of course, unlocking the bootloader will void your warranty (though I think there may be ways to hide the fact the bootloader has been unlocked if you need to send it back).

The SGS2 is a truly beautiful phone but I reckon the 4.3" screen is just too big. Fine if you can put it in a jacket pocket, but too big for a trouser pocket.

Note: It is now pretty easy to unlock the bootloader on the Atrix. This means you can install other ROMs, including a very good CM7 beta. Of course, unlocking the bootloader will void your warranty (though I think there may be ways to hide the fact the bootloader has been unlocked if you need to send it back).

The SGS2 is a truly beautiful phone but I reckon the 4.3" screen is just too big. Fine if you can put it in a jacket pocket, but too big for a trouser pocket.

Completely agree - loved the screen quality of SGS2 but it was just too big (physically); more than happy with my new Atrix. Bootloader unlocked & now deciding what ROM to install. Only slightly confused at the different kernel versions and which one id best for UK phone but I'll get there.

Edited by MaxiP

Guest Maringer

Completely agree - loved the screen quality of SGS2 but it was just too big (physically); more than happy with my new Atrix. Bootloader unlocked & now deciding what ROM to install. Only slightly confused at the different kernel versions and which one id best for UK phone but I'll get there.

The CM7 beta is extremely stable - I've not had a single reboot or any problems with it yet. Very impressive.

I've installed faux's 0.2.0 non-OC kernel which (for me) provides much better battery life than the stock CM7 kernel. I've not started trying to undervolt yet, but I'm hoping for further improvement on battery life.

Reports are that faux's 1.3 GHz kernel is apparently very good, too. Not quite sure exactly why you would need to overclock a 1GHz dual-core Cortex-A9, however! Performance seems good enough as it is - performance when browsing the web seems as good as my (admittedly crappy) netbook. Hugely faster than my previous phones, even though the Defy wasn't half bad either.

I don't currently play any games on the phone, so perhaps some of those could do with more processing power making the overclock worthwhile?

• 5 months later...
Guest styrisvps

I currently own a Samsung captivate, and i have a bad taste in my mouth from the faulty Gps and the lack of software uppdating. both devices sound great and i would love to have the atrix for the simple fact to try another manufacturer to see if their components are better. The tegra 2 is a fast little processor. I have been watching this chip for some time now and it is finally being put to use, if the gps is fixed on the galaxy s2 then yes it will be a good choice