Will not go into recovery after 3.2 Build 8

Guest Vansphone

Guest Vansphone

I wanted to wipe my data so I used ROM Manager to boot to recovery. The Vega closed down but did not reboot.

Pressing the power button just gets the backlight on for a few seconds.

Using Back - Power - Back buttons just gets the backlight on for a few second.

It is connected to a PC using a USB cable but it is not recognized by the PC

Do I just have to keep trying with the back and power button till it goes into recovery?

Thanks

Edited by Vansphone

I wanted to wipe my data so I used ROM Manager to boot to recovery. The Vega closed down but did not reboot.

Pressing the power button just gets the backlight on for a few seconds.

It is connected to a PC using a USB cable but it is not recognized by the PC

Do I just have to keep trying with the back and power button till it goes into recovery?

Thanks

In a word - yes!

The backlight does not come on in recovery. If it does, you've missed it. Power off and try again.

Guest Quipeace

In a word - yes!

The backlight does not come on in recovery. If it does, you've missed it. Power off and try again.

That's not the recovery he's talking about, as far as I can see he's talking about CWM, not nvflash.

I'm having exactly the same problem, and reflashed the whole thing a couple of times (nvflash -> vegacomb). I've never been able to get it to work. I can get to recovery from the moddedStock, but as soon as I flash vegacomb I can't get to CWM. I have followed the instructions posted in the OP:

On rebooting to recovery, the tablet will "hang" on a stale boot. Hold down the power button until the screen goes completely off, and then power back on to get to CWM.

My POV just powers off, holding the power button simply turns it back on instead of turning the screen "completely off". I have posted this on both the main and bug thread, but never got a reply.

Thanks

That's what would happen if your battery is flat. You're not able to check the battery status at the moment, so charge it up until the blue light below the back button stops flashing, then try again.

Guest Vansphone

Thanks for all the replies.

I know the battery is not flat because it was fully charged before I started this process (when it was in Honeycomb). Also I have left is charging for most of today. I have also tried to go into recovery while it is plugged into the charger. However, thanks for taking the time to to reply.

"On rebooting to recovery, the tablet will "hang" on a stale boot. Hold down the power button until the screen goes completely off, and then power back on to get to CWM."

Sorry to sound dumb, but how can I tell if the tablet is "hanging"? Is something displayed on the screen?

Perhaps I am not using the correct word by saying "recovery"? Currently it looks very much like a brick. Pressing the power button just brings the backlight on for a few seconds then it turns itself off again.

I am trying to get the Vega into any state where it can communicate with my PC again. I guessed that if I could get it into recovery I would then at the very least be able to reflash it to the original Advent ROM and start again?

Edited by Vansphone

Thanks for all the replies.

I know the battery is not flat because it was fully charged before I started this process (when it was in Honeycomb). Also I have left is charging for most of today. I have also tried to go into recovery while it is plugged into the charger. However, thanks for taking the time to to reply.

"On rebooting to recovery, the tablet will "hang" on a stale boot. Hold down the power button until the screen goes completely off, and then power back on to get to CWM."

Sorry to sound dumb, but how can I tell if the tablet is "hanging"? Is something displayed on the screen?

Perhaps I am not using the correct word by saying "recovery"? Currently it looks very much like a brick. Pressing the power button just brings the backlight on for a few seconds then it turns itself off again.

I am trying to get the Vega into any state where it can communicate with my PC again. I guessed that if I could get it into recovery I would then at the very least be able to reflash it to the original Advent ROM and start again?

Your Vega isn't hanging, it's not powering up. That's normally due to a flat battery, but if you're sure the battery is OK the only other thing I can think of is the USB connection is shorting out. If you disconnect it, and the battery is OK, but you can't get the screen to stay lit up, the only thing I can suggest is taking it back to PCW.

Guest Vansphone

Your Vega isn't hanging, it's not powering up. That's normally due to a flat battery, but if you're sure the battery is OK the only other thing I can think of is the USB connection is shorting out. If you disconnect it, and the battery is OK, but you can't get the screen to stay lit up, the only thing I can suggest is taking it back to PCW.

The battery has not been lasting very well over the last couple of weeks. I have charge it fully overnight then not use it for two days and then is is flat (3.2B8).

However, when I have been trying to get it into recovery I have alternated between trying to do this when attached to the charger and just using the battery. The blue light stays on so I guess it must be fully charged. I have now been trying for three hours.

If I just try to turn it on (with or without the USB). The screen light up for a couple of second and then goes off. It does this when I am using just the battery or connected to the charger.

When I turn it on, should the screen stay lit?

Lots of confusion between CWM and recovery. Although CWM is called "recovery" it is not. On the Vega, recovery is the mode that you can use to flash stock ROM (or modded stock ROM) and can ONLY be entered by holding back for 2 seconds, then back+power for 2 seconds etc. In recovery, your Vega will appear to be powered off. The only way to know if you are in recovery is the presence of the recovery device in Device Manager (I'm assuming Windows).

The recovery app should more accurately be called "boot into Clockworkmod). The bug in Vegacomb is that on booting to recovery, the Vega freezes. Powering off, then back on should boot into CWM. It does for me. If yours is failing, follow the instructions in the Vegacomb installation thread and try modded Stock ROM v1 instead of v2.

TIP. Don't use ROM Manager on the Vega. I've seen many tears because of it. There is nothing ROM Manager can do that you can't easily do yourself.

Vansphone. Can you confirm exactly what you're trying to achieve, in as much detail as possible. If all you are trying to do is wipe data, then clockwork mod is indeed all that you need. If it's not working from the recovery app (again, don't use ROM Manager), then try reinstalling CWM using the "CWM Easy Installer".

Guest Vansphone

I have sorted the problem (I think)

Eveytime I tried to go into recovery, the Vega was connected to the PC by the USB cable (I tried two USB cables). It did not work.

In desperation I tried going into recovery when I was not connected. Then I plugged it in and the PC recognised the Vega immediately. I have now installed the Stock ROM

Thanks to everybody who replied. It is good to have support and reassurance.