Best option for watching UK TV on Vega from abroad?

Guest 67Mustang

Guest 67Mustang

I'm trying to find a reliable way of watching the Rugby World Cup on my Vega while I'm on holiday in Canada and the US in a couple of weeks.

I tried the TeamViewer remote desktop app to access my home PC that has a TV tuner, and while it could access my PC desktop easily enough, I could not get a picture from the TV tuner even using my home WiFi, so have no confidence that it will work overseas. I also noted the previous post on the Splashtop app, but again I'm not convinced that it will be reliable.

Another option is a Slingbox, now that they have brought out an Android app to access it (has anyone tried this successfully on their Vega?), but it's a pretty expensive option for something that I may not use after watching a few Rugby World Cup matches (even on eBay they sell for a fair amount of money).

I'm thinking that using a proxy server to access a website like TV Catchup may actually be the best solution, so it would be helpful if anyone could let me know if they have managed to get this working on their Vega outside of the UK and if so, which of the many proxy servers available have worked. The VPN option seems a little too complicated (and I'm fairly IT savvy) and difficult to get working on the Vega.

As a Scotsman, I'm not overly confident that we'll even make the Quarter Finals after a shaky start against the 'mighty' Romania and Georgia, but my wife is South African and will kill me if we miss the Boks playing in the Quarters or Semis (I'll deal with figuring out the time difference between New Zealand and the west coast of the US when I get there)!

Thanks

Guest 67Mustang

Thanks for confirming that this is likely to be the best option, but it would also be useful to know if anyone has got a specific proxy server to work successfully outside of the UK to access websites that would normally prevent access from overseas (e.g. BBC iPlayer, ITV etc.). I won't be able to test it of course until I'm in the US, so it's useful to know if someone has a tried and tested solution.

I saw the Orbot app in the Android Market, so will give that a try just to check that I can get it working in the first place (obviously still no guarantee that it will work outside the UK).

Set up a free UK proxy account (just Google, there are plenty) and then view ITV online via the UK proxy.