32 Bit Patch, 16 Bit Patch and 8 Bit Patch.

Guest Manos Aristeidopoulos

What patch are you talking about?

Does not make sense.... :huh:

Edit:

Am not even aware that the ROM's have that kind of graphics as I thought they were all 32bit anyway... its an illusion to think that 8bit graphics will run 4 times as fast as 32bit graphics... at the expense of quality of viewing that is...

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest targetbsp

Hi again!

Is there any possibility to flash this patch to try out different bit colours ?

sorry if its stupid question.

I assume you're referring to the colour depth change to 16 bit to make CM7 faster? It's a compile time flag so I'm guessing probably not, just swap between the 2 rom versions to test (N179 and P7).

And 8 bit would look utterly dreadful! That's only 256 colours across the whole screen you realise? It probably also wouldn't help any because IIRC the boost comes from 16bit being hardware accelerated and 32 isn't. So 8 bit won't be any better, whilst looking MUCH worse. I'm guessing you're too young to even remember 8 bit colour by you even asking for it. It's really, REALLY bad. Have I mentioned that yet? :D And 8 bit colour is a luxury compared to what I grew up with. :P

Edited by targetbsp

I assume you're referring to the colour depth change to 16 bit to make CM7 faster? It's a compile time flag so I'm guessing probably not, just swap between the 2 rom versions to test (N179 and P7).

And 8 bit would look utterly dreadful! That's only 256 colours across the whole screen you realise? It probably also wouldn't help any because IIRC the boost comes from 16bit being hardware accelerated and 32 isn't. So 8 bit won't be any better, whilst looking MUCH worse. I'm guessing you're too young to even remember 8 bit colour by you even asking for it. It's really, REALLY bad. Have I mentioned that yet? :D

Ahhh!!!!! 8bit pixelated graphics.... at the time was like "woooooaocccchhhhhh, that's ultra cool...." now its more like "What's the blocky 8bit supposed to be..." :lol:

Guest dirlan2001

Ahhh!!!!! 8bit pixelated graphics.... at the time was like "woooooaocccchhhhhh, that's ultra cool...." now its more like "What's the blocky 8bit supposed to be..." :lol:

8-bit grayscale :D should also be good for the battery

Dirk

What patch are you talking about?

Does not make sense.... :huh:

Edit:

Am not even aware that the ROM's have that kind of graphics as I thought they were all 32bit anyway... its an illusion to think that 8bit graphics will run 4 times as fast as 32bit graphics... at the expense of quality of viewing that is...

I think it's just the textures. From what I understand, the adreno 200 gpu only has a 16bit per pixel pipeline, it can't do 3d acceleration properly for 32bit textures, this is the reason that the ui has been slower in cm7 than in zte gingerbread leak based roms, it isn't gpu accelerated properly because it's using 24/32bit textures. The 16bit texture patch should fix that.

The screen can probably only display 18bit colour anyway, most lcds can't display the full 24bit & use dithering. 16bit messes up the overscroll glow on the gingerbread leak, other than that I can't notice the lack of colour, it is faster because it can use more hardware gpu acceleration.

Edited by wbaw

I think it's just the textures. From what I understand, the adreno 200 gpu only has a 16bit per pixel pipeline, it can't do 3d acceleration properly for 32bit textures, this is the reason that the ui has been slower in cm7 than in zte gingerbread leak based roms, it isn't gpu accelerated properly because it's using 24/32bit textures. The 16bit texture patch should fix that.

The screen can probably only display 18bit colour anyway, most lcds can't display the full 24bit & use dithering. 16bit messes up the overscroll glow on the gingerbread leak, other than that I can't notice the lack of colour, it is faster because it can use more hardware gpu acceleration.

Oh that's interesting, thanks for that info wbaw.

Any idea where's that 16bit texture patch is? :)

It's already set in CM7 from patchset 3

TARGET_USES_16BPPSURFACE_FOR_OPAQUE := true in BoardConfig.mkhttp://review.cyanogenmod.com/#patch,sidebyside,7852,3,BoardConfig.mk

Interesting but I see no reference to the above macro used anywhere in that changeset, its used in BoardConfig.mk, but no other reference elsewhere.... am I missing something?

Edit: Never mind, just did a global grep on the entire CM7 source and its used in one spot as I can see - frameworks/base/services/surfaceflinger/Android.mk :)

Edited by t0mm13b