How to Build a ROM

Guest Markiv

Hi All,

Most here look forward to newer ROMs in our blade... We all have our own tastes... But why dont we just go ahead and Build a New Rom ourselves.

Would anyone take their time to create a learning thread for all those aspiring ROM builders - One thread to give the basics about building & editing ROMs.

Thanks in Advance.

Guest JimJam707

Well, no offence to anyone on the forums, but most of the ROMs here aren't really 'built'. They're mostly just stock ROMs unzipped with stuff chucked in, then zipped.

CyanogenMod 7 is built from source, so has more modifications done on it, but this is harder.

I don't think we really need anymore of the first type of ROM.

Guest targetbsp

I think such a guide would be interesting to those that want to play but I really don't think we need even more themed GSF/ZTE leaks with burstlams kernel and a different selection of pre-installed apps posted back up here do we? We'll end up needing a sub forum just for that. :D

Guest deksman2

I agree that most 'new ROMS' are just same old with minor modifications.

In my personal experience, no gingerbread ROM approached level of 'smoothness' as Modaco's r12 ROM achieved (I'm referring to scrolling in UI, maps, pinch, zoom, even the browser - performance is practically flawless, as if the UI and all 2D related aspects were actually accelerated via GPU).

All Gingerbread ROMS suffer from severe stuttering every once in a while... most notably in the Internet browser.

But I would have considered GPU accelerated UI and browser (in short, everything 2d related) to be something 'new' or 'innovative' to say the least.

As of yet, no one seems to have managed to do it.

This is stupid, So many ROM's based of one source.

That's a disagreeable thing - Google AOSP forked off by:

1. Different Manufacturers - such as Samsung, Sony Ericsson, HTC etc
  2. CyanogenMod

Hence its not "stupid", and yes, many ROM's equates to choice which is what its all about, but the real concern is some are unzipping an existing rom, putting in their own bits and re-zipping and passing it off as a "ROM" when in fact its not ....

To truly build your own ROM with extras, go back to the source of where it come from, hack it up, munge it up to do something funky, speed increase etc... and recompile the entire thing from scratch...

:)

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest Sami Beck

That's a disagreeable thing - Google AOSP forked off by:

1. Different Manufacturers - such as Samsung, Sony Ericsson, HTC etc
  2. CyanogenMod

Hence its not "stupid", and yes, many ROM's equates to choice which is what its all about, but the real concern is some are unzipping an existing rom, putting in their own bits and re-zipping and passing it off as a "ROM" when in fact its not ....

To truly build your own ROM with extras, go back to the source of where it come from, hack it up, munge it up to do something funky, speed increase etc... and recompile the entire thing from scratch...

:)

Exactly why I've stopped work on mine. I need to build from source.

Exactly why I've stopped work on mine. I need to build from source.

Yes and you are going up the ladder. But most out there are just watch in awe and install these ROMs... they never get to know the hard work going into creating them.

Would be great to have a tutorial for these USERS to learn bit about developing...

I cannot stand to see the court battles raging against android... Only if more people know how to develop, would androids base be strong....

So , who would put their time and effort to create the basics of building a ROM... (building may be too big a word , am using it cuz it sums up everything)... beginners guide and people can add upto it...

If everyone developed, who would use the ROM's

well here's the thing:

there's a kernel developer

there's a gen1 developer

there's a gen2 developer

there's a gen3 developer

there's a user who still has a gen1 2.1 san francisco and has never heard of modaco

well here's the thing:

there's a kernel developer

there's a gen1 developer

there's a gen2 developer

there's a gen3 developer

there's a user who still has a gen1 2.1 san francisco and has never heard of modaco

Gen 3.... - when will that happen?

I would love to learn how to build a ROM but I spend way too long looking at/downloading existing ROMs and fiddling with my SF according to my OH as it is.

There is no way I could do such a good job as the existing developers on here. I would hate to de-value what they do and it allows me to keep a bit of magic alive in my SF wondering what will arrive next laugh.gif

i think I'll leave it to the experts cool.gif

Guest Mushroom_Lord

Yes, in my eyes, truly building a ROM involves digging about in code, and changing .so files etc.

And, I for one, along with the rest of this community, are just too lazy to make anything more.

But REALLY. What is wrong with Cyanogenmod...

It has everything you would ever need and more, has a -----HUGE---- community, and it WORKS. Its also faster than most ROMs and lots of people like to use Cyanogenmod source. You can customize it a rediculous amount aswell.

If everyone just contributed to Cyanogenmod, it would become even better than it is.

Really, the only advantage all these other Gingerbread ROMs have is scrolling speed.

Guest rockstarszzzz

Markiv,

First of all, congrats for your curiosity mate!

I'm sorry to see how your question has been bounced back and forth with no solid answer to it. Reminds me of the historical cavemen amongst whom there were shooters, there were hunters, there were defenders and there were attackers. The replies seem to have given you the same sort of image here.

It's really sad how android being so open sourced, has so limited enthusiasm in 'teaching' things. On the other hand, developers up against the legacy OS like Windows have taught so much to with endless guides for newbies. I appreciate the fact that has been repeated all along that, it's so hard to "build" a ROM but in response to your curious question, I hope atleast one of the people who claim to "build" ROMs will show where the "how-to" lies.

It's good to know that developers can make so much contribution, but learning should be for everyone. It's worthless pondering if someone will be able to learn or not. The 14-15 year old kids on this forum if knew about such tutorials, they won't be just unzipping and themeing a ROM, but building it from scratch. Since there is lack of one, those who want to learn something, do it the wrong way and gain the pleasure and satisfaction. I don't think that is waste of time either. It's all in a good spirit.

Guest plegdroid

I would not let anyone put you off learning about building rom. if you really want to learn something, do it, don't let the negative comments put you off. like most communitys you've got givers and takers. if you decide to be a giver and make your own roms good on you, just don't let the "I don't understand how to do something brigade, so you won't either " put you off!!! :)

Markiv,

First of all, congrats for your curiosity mate!

I'm sorry to see how your question has been bounced back and forth with no solid answer to it. Reminds me of the historical cavemen amongst whom there were shooters, there were hunters, there were defenders and there were attackers. The replies seem to have given you the same sort of image here.

It's really sad how android being so open sourced, has so limited enthusiasm in 'teaching' things. On the other hand, developers up against the legacy OS like Windows have taught so much to with endless guides for newbies. I appreciate the fact that has been repeated all along that, it's so hard to "build" a ROM but in response to your curious question, I hope atleast one of the people who claim to "build" ROMs will show where the "how-to" lies.

It's good to know that developers can make so much contribution, but learning should be for everyone. It's worthless pondering if someone will be able to learn or not. The 14-15 year old kids on this forum if knew about such tutorials, they won't be just unzipping and themeing a ROM, but building it from scratch. Since there is lack of one, those who want to learn something, do it the wrong way and gain the pleasure and satisfaction. I don't think that is waste of time either. It's all in a good spirit.

rockstarszzzz , may be my curiosity might have gone down a bit seeing the "not so positive" responses, but people who would have read ur comment would definitely be motivated to share some of their knowledge and in the long run can result in the creation of the ultimate thread - How to build a ROM. THANK YOU.

If you wanna learn dm me.

Thank you, Yes samibeck, i do want to, and not just for my personal benefits, but to create a thread for all who visit modaco..

I really dont know what is "DM", so......

For starters, can u share a few links...

I would love to learn how to build a ROM but I spend way too long looking at/downloading existing ROMs and fiddling with my SF according to my OH as it is.

There is no way I could do such a good job as the existing developers on here. I would hate to de-value what they do and it allows me to keep a bit of magic alive in my SF wondering what will arrive next laugh.gif

i think I'll leave it to the experts cool.gif

This is not about producing a great rom. it is about learning and knowing how much effort goes into development. once u know a bit, more than the magic, u would learn to respect someones work and truly acknowledge his involvement.

Once u know the technical aspects at this level, u will be in a better position to identify the differences between each and every rom. we would no longer talk on the level of visual-stability-features....

experts would continue to develop, we would be providing more content to them for better releases. its all for the good.

Hi All,

Can anyone mention the difference between update script and updater script. tried googling a bit.. heading nowhere.

update-script is amend scripting and was used by older ClockWorkMods (prior to version 3).

updater-script is edify scripting and is used by current ClockWorkMod version (version 3 and above). There is a good tutorial to edify scripting here.

update-script is amend scripting and was used by older ClockWorkMods (prior to version 3).

updater-script is edify scripting and is used by current ClockWorkMod version (version 3 and above). There is a good tutorial to edify scripting here.

Thanks a lot. as u had mentioned in the post, the name of the thread could have been a bit more effective... difficult to find...

Am now trying my hand at dsixda's kitchen... and i am just beginning. Is it possible to modify ANY rom with burstlam's kernel.