My Archos 80 G9 8GB arrived! Any questions?

Guest PaulOBrien

BBC iPlayer and TVCatchup, what quality streams does it support?

How much space is left on the device to install apps to internal, not including that partition SD trick Samsung do?

Does it handle divx/xvid to a good quality?

Can it play any mkvs?

Ok simple but broad ques:

Archos or Vega (or hannspad or other) as the ideal sub £200 tablet?

Seems to me just reading the specs and views that the archos is the one? (Until the amazon tab tomorrow perhaps?)

BBC iPlayer and TVCatchup, what quality streams does it support?

How much space is left on the device to install apps to internal, not including that partition SD trick Samsung do?

Does it handle divx/xvid to a good quality?

Can it play any mkvs?

Not tried iPlayer yet, but surprisingly, the Archos can play High Quality TVCatchup streams smooth as silk!

P

Is it possible to use iPlayer HD on mobile?

P

If the UA is a desktop you should be able to get to the website, never thought about trying it on my GS2, maybe a test tonight.

Guest leetron1

Hi Paul...thanks for this archos section...thinking of taking the plunge on one of these.

Just a quick one...have you had an screen probs....

(sorry its in German). Also here on archos forum.

Seems even slight pressure on back or sides causes screen distortion...any probs your end please?

Edited by leetron1

Hi Paul...thanks for this archos section...thinking of taking the plunge on one of these.

Just a quick one...have you had an screen probs....

(sorry its in German). Also here on archos forum.

Seems even slight pressure on back or sides causes screen distortion...any probs your end please?

If you press on the back, yeah, you can make the LCD 'spread'. Not a huge issue tho? It's just a side effect of thin plastic shell... ;)

P

Guest leetron1

If you press on the back, yeah, you can make the LCD 'spread'. Not a huge issue tho? It's just a side effect of thin plastic shell... ;)

P

Thanks Paul..would you recommend the G9 then...if so, any reservations?

Paul,

Which would you recommend - G9 or a good used Galaxy Tab P1000?

Also, if you have the 3G dongle for the G9, is it SIM locked?

Thanks, and looking forward to your full review.

I don't have the 3G dongle.

The Tab definitely has the better quality screen, but the G9 has Honeycomb which is handy!

P

Thanks for the quick reply Paul.

Is the G9 display quality better than the Vega?

The G9 seems almost too good to be true so far - as long as there's no 'nasties' hiding in there, and it can be rooted etc., I think I may need to take the plunge.

Guest DiscoFred78

Have you seen any problems with the screen? Such as ghosting when holding the device? I have seen a couple of people complain about the battery pressing up against the back of the screen and causing distortion.

Thanks Neil :)

Thanks for the quick reply Paul.

Is the G9 display quality better than the Vega?

The G9 seems almost too good to be true so far - as long as there's no 'nasties' hiding in there, and it can be rooted etc., I think I may need to take the plunge.

Yeah, I think so, it has better viewing angles at least. No root yet...

P

Yeah, I think so, it has better viewing angles at least. No root yet...

P

I won't be getting one for a couple of weeks - I have every confidence in you getting root before then :)

Thanks for your replies.

S

Guest Zarch1972

I too am wondering about how well BBC iPlayer will work, especially the HD feeds.

I have a crazy notion of using the tablet as a media centre and hooking it upto my Plasma via the HDMI connector, especially as it has samba sharing right out of the box..... hopefully can get to my NAS device and stream from there. :blink: (obviously, minus the surround sound feed..... but something has to give eh?)

Can you turn the display off on the tablet whilst connected to a TV via HDMI I wonder?

And just to clarify your tweet from earlier, you can plug in any old USB flash memory and it will come up as usable? ie stream from it? So a nice cheap 16gb stick for £12.99 for example? Although with MicroSD the same price, you might be better with one of those in the available slot?

Looking forward to the review Paul.

Edited by Zarch1972

Guest sionyboy

Paul: An update for the G9 80 /101 has been released;

http://www.arctablet...-update-3-2-46/

Fix List:

Google applications: Google talk is now part of the firmware

Audio/applications: improved volume control (better volume range, less glitches on notifications) leading to faster gaming experience on some 3rd party applications

Wi-Fi: fix low throughput on some access points when using WPA2/AES encryption

Camera: improve camera quality in high and low light condition

Flash: added acceleration support

Archos applications: many enhancements and fixes on Videoplayer, MediaCenter and Mediascrapper

Media center: new elastic and overshoot effect on cover roll edges

File Browser: better action support on multiple selections

Media Scrapper: better handling and cleaning of data base in case of file removal

Photo Frame: Floating Image 3.1.9 is integrated with fixed Picasa support, better background rendering and better memory management

Music player: better protection of music player to avoid to get it killed under low memory condition

Display: better quality SD video upscaling (e.g. on 1080p display)

Video: improve SMI subtitle support

Internationalization: Arabic and Hebrew translations have been integrated and a new specific “Archos keyboard” application has been included for supporting Hebrew and Arabic

Network shares: shortcuts can be created by long press on a remote video folder in Archos media center

Network shares: more robust streaming in case of IP renewal

Memory: smaller memory footprint

3G key: updated APN list

Power off: make sure to clear all alarms when powering off

Hard drive based unit: enhanced power management

Security: apply security fixes from google about DigiNotar CA certificate

Might be worth checking out, seems to fix a few issues, though nothing that sounds like a game changer (unless it has GTalk Video Chat option)

Looking forward to your upcoming review, have you had a chance to check out the useable/free memory available on your G9 80 yet?

Edited by sionyboy

Guest Zarch1972

I see that the 1.0ghz model is £199, whilst the 1.5ghz model due soon is just £30 dearer.

http://www.themp3company.co.uk/product/archos-archos-80-g9-15ghz-android-tablet-16gb-501860.php

Is the CPU in the £199 model actually the 1.5ghz underclocked or is it really a 1.0ghz CPU?

I'm wondering if there will be any clever things that could be done when you get the thing rooted Paul if it is underclocked?

Surely a no brainer though to pay the £30 extra if they are separate chips for a decent CPU boost.

Guest sionyboy

The 1.5ghz has been delayed, the 'turbo' model will be 1.2ghz, last minute change by archos that hasn't been reflected on retail sites yet.

1. 5ghz has been slated for new year, although it will be a die shrunk chip and not just an overclock. (if it comes at all!)

Guest Zarch1972

Thanks Siony for clearing that up.

Well as long as the 1.0ghz does everything you'd want it to (video/flash etc), then it should be fine. Plus, whatever Paul & Co can get out of it once rooted. ;)

Guest Zarch1972

Paul,

Another question, how does the Archos screen compare to the HP TouchPad?

Wondering if to hold out for the CM TouchPad port or go with the Archos?

Screen same res, but a) HP is IPS, so better? and B) does the 1.7 inches extra make a big difference?