Installing a subset of Google apps?

Guest myxal

Hi everyone,

I apologise if this was answered before, but my efforts to find an answer drowned me in noise but no relevant info. Here goes:

I'm using CM7.1 nightly and haven't installed the g-apps package yet. Is there a way to install only some of the apps (where 'some' excludes the Market app, which a disturbing number of apps simply assumes is present, and FCs when it's not), namely Maps and Youtube, maybe Gmail?

My only experience with g-apps is from the stock 2.2 ROM that came with my Blade and from what I've seen, much of the package is redundant, non-working, considerable privacy concern or simply of no interest to me. I've made up my mind on the above, plus Talk (no point in an IM that isn't at least OTR-aware and spews garbage during its handshake on the PC), Navigation (not available in my area), Market, Latitude (get off my lawn :P ), Goggles (no thanks), Buzz (see above), Calendar (redundant), is there anything else should look at and consider putting on the phone?

Guest plegdroid

could try extracting the apps you want from the gapps zip, install them from within system apps file, there's a free app on market called system app back upper, basically let's you backup and restore system apps in batch, can install this after a flashing with package installer, just batch back the gapps you want,may not be beautiful but it is a work around:)

another way if got a pc with windows vista or above is to remove the apk you don't want from the gapps zip with winzip/ winrar , so when install complete, just the one's you want are installed

Edited by plegdroid

• 1 month later...

could try extracting the apps you want from the gapps zip, install them from within system apps file, there's a free app on market called system app back upper, basically let's you backup and restore system apps in batch, can install this after a flashing with package installer, just batch back the gapps you want,may not be beautiful but it is a work around:)

another way if got a pc with windows vista or above is to remove the apk you don't want from the gapps zip with winzip/ winrar , so when install complete, just the one's you want are installed

Thanks for the hints. I ended up installing vanilla gapps.zip, then removing the unwanted apps using Ti Backup.The Google apps seem to work fine without market, though it turns out Navigation and Latitude are part of Maps and can't be removed separately. Oh well, at least I got to ditch the Market and Talk apps.