Iphone 4S....

Guest Adam:)

So, im you've alll heard the news about the new iphone 4S.

what do u guys think? Will it affect the Galaxys sales?

I for one am a tad disappointed with apple, as i think they may have gone from innovating to now just simply keeping up with everything other companies (android especially) have to offer.

What do you think? :)

Guest Androidlover287

I think apple have disappointed us as consumers, they add a 8MP camera and extra battery life, everything else is the same. (They sell these for £500 - £600) What a rip off

EDIT: I saw the keynote, i just didn't think those were the only thing of note for me :)

Edit 2:

• World phone - Yeah OK whatever
  • UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz) - I don't care, it will work around the world, big woop
  • CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)4
  • 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only) - Only 2.4Ghz on wifi N could atleast work on 5 aswell.
  • Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology - WOW i am actually interested to see the Incomparability with other phones (It only works with Headsets)
  • Video recording, HD (1080p) up to 30 frames per second with audio - Apple are making it sound like it's new in a phone.

Edited by Androidlover287

Guest WearTheFoxHat

In my mind, the new iPhone is not innovative at all, it's simply a catch-up. It will still sell millions, due to those who are bought-in to the apple lifestyle. I found it hard when I moved across to Android, in terms of having to re-purchase key apps, and the fact that there are no-where near the number of accessories available.

Me personally, I'm glad I'm out of the apple loop now. But I still use my macbook as my primary computing device and don't think Windows will steal me back anytime soon.

Guest glossywhite

A solid, reliable platform. High quality hardware, a stable OS, 1080p recording, a camera that doesn't force close all the time, video editing (yes, Android STILL hasn't achieved this... why?...), a uniform and consistent experience; use one iOS device, you know how to use all the other iOS devices, it is highly unlikely to turn into a hand warmer (unlike lots of Galaxy S2 units)...

I don't side with any platform... but let's be realistic here; what is NOT to like?! (unless you're really going to be predictably fanboyish, and defend X, Y or Z platform/handset, like a child)

I thought they would have made the screen larger, and *slightly* changed the body, even if it was a subtle curve or bevelled edge, in order to distinguish the 4S from the 4... but that doesn't detract from the amazing technology and usability, all the same. I cannot possibly say that the same retina display and size, is any sort of disadvantage, I just had it in my head, like a lot of other people, that they'd probably have up-sized it somewhat.

The camera upgrade looks incredible! Maybe people are slowly learning that more megapixels don't make better photos. I'm sure the "average" user is not terrible at photography, but then again, I doubt they're aware of the skills and tricks you need to remember to make the most of a camera, to take amazing shots, not just "okay" shots.

Then again, I've not tried one yet, neither has...

I think apple have disappointed us as consumers, they add a 8MP camera and extra battery life, everything else is the same. (They sell these for $500 - $600) What a rip off

You surely don't expect that comment to be taken seriously (seriously?). Maybe you could go and watch the Keynote, read the specs properly, and then revise your opinion...

Yes, the price is too much. I agree on that.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Androidlover287

A solid, reliable platform. High quality hardware, a stable OS, 1080p recording, a camera that doesn't force close all the time, video editing (yes, Android STILL hasn't achieved this... why?...), a uniform and consistent experience; use one iOS device, you know how to use all the other iOS devices, it is highly unlikely to turn into a hand warmer (unlike lots of Galaxy S2 units)...

I don't side with any platform... but let's be realistic here; what is NOT to like?! (unless you're really going to be predictably fanboyish, and defend X, Y or Z platform/handset, like a child)

I thought they would have made the screen larger, and *slightly* changed the body, even if it was a subtle curve or bevelled edge, in order to distinguish the 4S from the 4... but that doesn't detract from the amazing technology and usability, all the same. I cannot possibly say that the same retina display and size, is any sort of disadvantage, I just had it in my head, like a lot of other people, that they'd probably have up-sized it somewhat.

The camera upgrade looks incredible! Maybe people are slowly learning that more megapixels don't make better photos. I'm sure the "average" user is not terrible at photography, but then again, I doubt they're aware of the skills and tricks you need to remember to make the most of a camera, to take amazing shots, not just "okay" shots.

You surely don't expect that comment to be taken seriously (seriously?). Maybe you could go and watch the Keynote, read the specs properly, and then revise your opinion...

I editied my post, i don't take sides, i just don't want to pay for a phone that has so little customizability out of the box (Unless you jailbreak)

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Some excellent points.

I haven't seen the keynote yet, as I normally watch them as soon as they are available. However I've had a busy week.

I think spec wise both handsets are similar ... the Galaxy S II and the iPhone 4S. I would say that I've got equal amounts invested in both Android and Apple apps now, and also own a work blackberry, so try my best to be objective.

What I think the iPhone offers is a uniform slick interface that is persistent throughout many of its apps. What the GalaxySII offers to a certain extent is freedom, if you don't like a certain email or calendar app, fine change it for another email or calendar app. If you want lots of widgets on screen, fine install them.

The downside I found for the iPhone was that I needed to jailbreak to get some of what I felt to be core functionality. I wanted a view of my calendar which was present every time I looked at the phone, so edited the lockscreen. On Android I have a page one swipe to the left with all my calendar.

The android handsets have very little in terms of accessories compared to the iPhone, but that is because the iPhone is one form factor and companies can easily churn out millions of docks/cases/cradles in the knowledge that they will cover their costs. This won't happen with the GalaxyS2, as by the time they've got a few cradles out the door, Samsung will have dropped the next handset into the market. For instance I have an Onkyo AV Amp, that I bought a fibre-optic cradle for ... it fits my iPod classic, my partners iPod touch, my iPhone 3GS and I bet will also work with the iPhone 4S.

iCloud looks good to synchronise all music/apps/docs ... nothing android is quite close enough, not even dropbox.

Granted Apple have changed the way handset subsidies work now, and it's not really for the best interest of the consumer. If I wasn't totally happy with the Galaxy S2, and that it serves all my needs, I'd probably go out and buy an iPhone 4S (sim free) and use it until the next one appeared, and then sell it to the level below "bleeding edge" consumers. But I've got my GalaxyS2, it interfaces with everything I need it to, and more. I can tether when needed, without additional price plan to my telco. I've also got a Moto Xoom, which is fantastic and I use so often that my Macbook hardly gets turned on.

Guest Androidlover287

Some excellent points.

I haven't seen the keynote yet, as I normally watch them as soon as they are available. However I've had a busy week.

I think spec wise both handsets are similar ... the Galaxy S II and the iPhone 4S. I would say that I've got equal amounts invested in both Android and Apple apps now, and also own a work blackberry, so try my best to be objective.

What I think the iPhone offers is a uniform slick interface that is persistent throughout many of its apps. What the GalaxySII offers to a certain extent is freedom, if you don't like a certain email or calendar app, fine change it for another email or calendar app. If you want lots of widgets on screen, fine install them.

The downside I found for the iPhone was that I needed to jailbreak to get some of what I felt to be core functionality. I wanted a view of my calendar which was present every time I looked at the phone, so edited the lockscreen. On Android I have a page one swipe to the left with all my calendar.

The android handsets have very little in terms of accessories compared to the iPhone, but that is because the iPhone is one form factor and companies can easily churn out millions of docks/cases/cradles in the knowledge that they will cover their costs. This won't happen with the GalaxyS2, as by the time they've got a few cradles out the door, Samsung will have dropped the next handset into the market. For instance I have an Onkyo AV Amp, that I bought a fibre-optic cradle for ... it fits my iPod classic, my partners iPod touch, my iPhone 3GS and I bet will also work with the iPhone 4S.

iCloud looks good to synchronise all music/apps/docs ... nothing android is quite close enough, not even dropbox.

Granted Apple have changed the way handset subsidies work now, and it's not really for the best interest of the consumer. If I wasn't totally happy with the Galaxy S2, and that it serves all my needs, I'd probably go out and buy an iPhone 4S (sim free) and use it until the next one appeared, and then sell it to the level below "bleeding edge" consumers. But I've got my GalaxyS2, it interfaces with everything I need it to, and more. I can tether when needed, without additional price plan to my telco. I've also got a Moto Xoom, which is fantastic and I use so often that my Macbook hardly gets turned on.

Some great points of note in there, well done in not taking sides, i don't take sides either as i have my Galaxy s2 and a Ipod touch 32GB 3rd generation, there both great devices, but as you said to unlock core functionality in my ipod touch i needed to jailbreak it.

Guest thanh_nha0706

I just think the iPhone 4s is amazing. Apple has published it at the right time. Who wants their phone to be out-of-date just in 1 year using? For the iPhone 4 users, they don't have to buy a new phone to enjoy the latest functions in iOS 5. For the consumers, who want to buy a new phone, iPhone 4s is worth for buying with a high specification. Also I don't know why the phone screen is just bigger and bigger over time? 4" is enough for me.

Sr for my bad English!

Guest WearTheFoxHat

As a slight aside, I'd been planning to sell my iPhone 3GS ... but in the meantime, I've just installed iOS5, and it's rather nice. Typical Apple iOS, but some nice additions. Although the notification center is pretty much a rip from android!

I'm waiting to see how well it can sync via wifi etc.

My biggest issue is:

On the same contract I bought my GalaxySII on, the iPhone 4S is still £270.

Actually let me change that ...

GSII is 16GB (but I've put in a 32GB SD card) ... so 48GB in total.

On SAME contract, the iPhone 4S 16GB is £99, 32GB is £220, 64GB is £270 ... and the GalaxyS II was FREE.

I'll keep the money ta!

i like apple and think they make great products, i hav a ipod and macbk myself, but i honestly dont see how people wuld choose the 4s over the s2 wen the latter has arguebly better stats and is cheaper. bearing in mind the person buying isnt a fan boy of either, and Is merely looking for a new phone :L

Edited by Adam:)

Guest glossywhite

i like apple and think they make great products, i hav a ipod and macbk myself, but i honestly dont see how people wuld choose the 4s over the s2 wen the latter has arguebly better stats and is cheaper. bearing in mind the person buying isnt a fan boy of either, and Is merely looking for a new phone :L

Better hardware specs, mean nothing on their own, without ubiquitous, rock-solid apps & a reliable OS.

Edited by glossywhite

Better hardware specs, mean nothing on their own, without ubiquitous, rock-solid apps & a reliable OS.

yeh i understand better hardware, but i know loads of friends who have smashed their iphones after dropping them once :L in my eyes the market is just as gd ad the app store we hav all the same ones iod users hav. android is just as reliable now. my s2 never crashes.

Guest dj9928

For me anyway its not all about hardware, iOS is beautiful. I own a SGS2 and while the hardware's great its let down by software. I sat the other night putting my apps into folders, the same thing you can do on iOS the difference being its attractive on iOS, It looks horrible on the SGS2, you can put launcher pro and the rest on but at the core of it android is far from eye pleasing. I regret moving from old 3gs, i've been trying to sell my SGS2 but the resale value is horrible about £200 down, its in the same bracket as a 3GS which is 2 years old

Guest marc1974

IPhones are great if you like a pretty ui that your grandfather could navigate his way around, except he might not be able to read the display properly because it's so small. In my opinion the only real thing the iPhone 4 has on the galaxy s2 is resale value.

• 3 weeks later...