My Archos 80 G9 arrived...

Guest DiscoFred78

Guest DiscoFred78

Well mine arrived last night and I must say I am very happy with it. I have a Vega at the minute running VegaComb and the difference is mind blowing for me. The Vega will be on ebay shortly!!

The highlights for me are the screen, which is much better than the vega. The 4:3 aspect ratio is excellent for reading pdf's and books. This was my main reason for getting one, I don't think the widescreen ratio is correct for a tablet, but that is just my opinion :) The viewing angles are good. No battery issues so far - like the vega.

Usb HDD is running fine over the rear usb - I will not be updating the FW as they left it out of the newer FW, but it is going to be put back in future releases.

Anyway, overall an excellent bit of kit for £200!!

Guest sionyboy

Well mine arrived last night and I must say I am very happy with it. I have a Vega at the minute running VegaComb and the difference is mind blowing for me. The Vega will be on ebay shortly!!

The highlights for me are the screen, which is much better than the vega. The 4:3 aspect ratio is excellent for reading pdf's and books. This was my main reason for getting one, I don't think the widescreen ratio is correct for a tablet, but that is just my opinion :) The viewing angles are good. No battery issues so far - like the vega.

Usb HDD is running fine over the rear usb - I will not be updating the FW as they left it out of the newer FW, but it is going to be put back in future releases.

Anyway, overall an excellent bit of kit for £200!!

I'm guessing you ordered direct from Archos, how long did you have to wait?

Guest DiscoFred78

I'm guessing you ordered direct from Archos, how long did you have to wait?

Yep came from Archos. Took about 24 hours to accept and process the order and then two days delivery. :)

Guest todoleo

Yep came from Archos. Took about 24 hours to accept and process the order and then two days delivery. :)

That's good! I ordered mine yesterday morning and need it before Tuesday evening because I'm going away on a business trip. I hope it arrives in time. Have you used GTalk for video calls yet? If so, what was the quality of the webcam like?

Guest sionyboy

Any chance you can take a look at how much memory is available? Something like advanced task killer should tell you how much is free on the system.

Guest DiscoFred78

That's good! I ordered mine yesterday morning and need it before Tuesday evening because I'm going away on a business trip. I hope it arrives in time. Have you used GTalk for video calls yet? If so, what was the quality of the webcam like?

I have only used the camera bit so far and seems fine. You will need to update the FW before the camera will work correctly and google talk is installed - this was missed out of the original FW, so you will not have it by default. You can download the update from the archos site. You dump it onto the root of the internal memory and detects it straight away. Only takes about 5-10mins. :)

Any chance you can take a look at how much memory is available? Something like advanced task killer should tell you how much is free on the system.

I had about 10 apps running at work playing around with it and showing it off and it was only using about 170MB RAM. They was about 320MB free which we were very impressed with. We had the browser running, angry birds, music, contacts, market and a few other things open at the time.

I think there is about 6+GB free on the internal flash - just off the top of my head. :)

Edited by DiscoFred78

Guest Woshmistro

I got my 80 G9 yesterday, there is a design flaw, where the 3G dongle goes, the chassis puts pressure on the screen, but I hold it in a way that it doesn't happen allot.

I do have some little problems but I'll put it on a new thread.

Guest fromWinland

If you mean this: http://forum.archosf...=57231&start=60

http://www.archoslounge.net/Probleme-d- ... A80G9.html

It's in french ; they say Archos is aware of it and has already fix the problem for the next productions to come. Archos says also that this problem doesn't affect the performances or the longevity of the device. And just a part of the actual tablets have this problem.

Edited by fromWinland

Guest todoleo

I have only used the camera bit so far and seems fine. You will need to update the FW before the camera will work correctly and google talk is installed - this was missed out of the original FW, so you will not have it by default. You can download the update from the archos site. You dump it onto the root of the internal memory and detects it straight away. Only takes about 5-10mins. :)

I had about 10 apps running at work playing around with it and showing it off and it was only using about 170MB RAM. They was about 320MB free which we were very impressed with. We had the browser running, angry birds, music, contacts, market and a few other things open at the time.

I think there is about 6+GB free on the internal flash - just off the top of my head. :)

Cheers for the info!