[ROM] StreakDroid GingerStreak 2.4 Beta

Guest Stephen Hyde

dj_steve -- is swap enabled for this rom.. i believe the kernel does not support that in streakdroid 2.3... pls enable that in the new rom as well.. thanks/rajpa

Guest aLpHa K7

Stellar ROM DJ_Steve and fards!

My SMS and gmail notification seems to not allow vibration function for some reason - I havne't quite pinned it down yet since vibration is set to 'Allow' for both, GOSMS and Gmail... who knows.blink.gif

Guest Azurren

dj_steve -- is swap enabled for this rom.. i believe the kernel does not support that in streakdroid 2.3... pls enable that in the new rom as well.. thanks/rajpa

Does the streak really need SWAP?

Swap kills speed in exchange for much needed ram.. On devices which don't have 512mb chips

Guest aLpHa K7

So reading a few pages back, is there anything in particular that's causing the reboots?

For instance... I'll use the browser for an unknown amount of time (sometimes long other times short) and then I'll get the LEDs flash twice and the phone reboots. I've noticed this happens particularly when using GPS in the Maps. Worst thing about this is that it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes there's one reboot and everything settles. Other times, there's 3-4 in a row before the Streak calms down. I had to have flashed the AMSS and DSP1 correctly as I do not have the random flashing LEDs at any other time, but maybe I'm missing something?

Guest Technomenon81

Had a strange problem with facebook, i would start the app, it would sit there, with the blue bar across the top, no text anywhere, and just the circular loading icon centre of screen.

I removed the app via titanium backup, then reinstalled it from the market, still had same problem, i also cleared data, and uninstalled any updates.

still same problem?

any ideas?

I'm having the same issue. Also, the last couple times that I've tried to open the app, the in-app screen flashes once for less than half a second to the desktop view as if I were in the browser.

Guest Spencershaun

Hi i have never had reboots on mine and i got it of dj before he posted it on modaco have u tried to flash it again and did u do a dell factory reset b4 it loads up (just trying to help)

rolleyes.gif

So reading a few pages back, is there anything in particular that's causing the reboots?

For instance... I'll use the browser for an unknown amount of time (sometimes long other times short) and then I'll get the LEDs flash twice and the phone reboots. I've noticed this happens particularly when using GPS in the Maps. Worst thing about this is that it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes there's one reboot and everything settles. Other times, there's 3-4 in a row before the Streak calms down. I had to have flashed the AMSS and DSP1 correctly as I do not have the random flashing LEDs at any other time, but maybe I'm missing something?

Guest Azurren

Please please please if you are having any problems apart from the following:

• Battery Drain
  • Wifi re-connection / sleep issues
  • Android process force close at the start / after toggling flight mode
  • The odd crash / freeze / restart (Although I haven't really had any)

Recommended procedure:

1. Flash the Stock recovery for your version
  2. Flash the latest PKG
    360 - For retail
  3. Allow the device to boot once
  4. Flash StreakMod recovery
  5. Flash AMS and DSP1 from the OP
    Note: These are different from previous 2.3 builds
  6. Flash GingerStreak 2.4 beta
  7. Wipe Data / Cache
  8. Wipe Dalvik Cache
    Under advanced
  9. Perform a Dell Factory reset
    Option 1 in recovery BEFORE entering StreakMod
  10. Allow the device to boot

You shouldn't be getting any reboot :)

Guest Lloydie

To the gentleman that sent an email....it was accidently deleted in a tidy up moment.

You must have WINRAR installed.

Make a folder on your desktop named SD 2.0....make another one named SD 2.4

Copy SD 2 ZIP into SD 2 folder

Copy SD 2.4 ZIP into SD 2.4 folder

right click on SD 2...."open with" WINRAR

Open "System....App".....find "Phone.apk"....right click...extract to desktop....on desktop you'll see System folder, open system/app....copy phone.apk to SD 2.4 folder.

Open SD 2.4 ZIP the same way...in system/app....find phone.apk....right click...delete file....delete!

Find a space on right side of window....right click....add file.....browse....it should open up in the SD 2.4 folder....click on "phone.apk"

Exit winrar and copy the Zip to your SD card and flash as to Azzurens instruction....let me know if it works for you.

You can do the same thing with the stock keyboard by removing "stk.apk" and replacing with "keyboard.apk" from SD 2.3 Ginger's Sister.

Try to do it all at once as I do not think that the Zip likes to be opened too many times.:unsure:

Guest (InsertNameHere)

I don't know if that reply is for me, i did ask how it could be done... but in the meantime I tried overwriting the phone.apk which works, i believe the rom zip file has to be resigned after editing, so i signed and flashed. It works, but dialer gets a process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly and USSD does not work.

I will just use a 3rd party dialer for the time being

Thanks for the reply

Edited by (InsertNameHere)

Guest aLpHa K7

Hi i have never had reboots on mine and i got it of dj before he posted it on modaco have u tried to flash it again and did u do a dell factory reset b4 it loads up (just trying to help)

rolleyes.gif

Ah..... from this last time - I just jumped from fards' GingerStreak to this one on Modaco - cleared the Dalvik cache, flashed AMSS + DSP1, installed the ROM via StreakMod and let her boot up. I'll try the factory reset and flash everything and see if that clears it up. Luckily the reboots don't happen often or during phonecalls - on my device it seems that trying to lock the GPS triggers more often than anything else

I do appreciate the hard work that fards and DJ_Steve have done!!

EDIT - Thanks Azurren - went ALL THE WAY back from the beginning and she runs pretty very nice now... no random reboots after downloading market items. We're good!!!

Edited by aLpHa K7

Guest coronet

Steve, Fards, I just want to take this time to say thank you very much for this build. OK so the WiFi times out here and there and the start-up time isn't the best... but really these are tiny nit-picks for the best damn build on the Streak yet! You've managed to fix the issues of Streakdroid 1.9.x, bring us Gingerbread, and do so in a solid, stable, and very complete build. I realize the Streak is "dated" and there is no reason for you guys to have built this for a device which no longer sells new in stores. But you did anyways, and you've done a stellar job! I realize threads like these simply invite the bug reports, but I hope you find this through the sea of them to find something that is rarely said: you've done way more than a fantastic job. You've done the best job yet, and I thank you for giving the Dell Streak the build of Gingerbread it properly deserves (and which Dell promised, but petered out on). I hope whatever phones you guys end up developing for next I find my way to being a part of that community. You've shown that even with just a few heads put together you could make a complete build with very little to complain about. Thank you again, and thank you for giving the Streak another gust of wind in it's sails for us still using them.

Guest alert_bri

Very well said coronet, fully agree this makes the Dell Streak perform as it should - where is Michael Dell? He should be chasing Stephen down the street with a job invite!

Cheers

Brian

Guest Azurren

EDIT - Thanks Azurren - went ALL THE WAY back from the beginning and she runs pretty very nice now... no random reboots after downloading market items. We're good!!!

Wish everyone would give the whole thing a try when they have problems, 99% of the time it works so long as you don't skip the parts that sound trivial :D

The 1% being that poor guy and his phantom tethering menu :(

Anyone have problem with Flash Player 11 in this rom?When i tried to play youtube video on any browser it crashes and exit instantly.Solution?

Nope, try the above (Few posts above). You could also try removing flash (from system/apps with a root explorer if it is pre-installed) then installing it fresh from the market. Also try clearing the apps cache / user data

No I havn't :o

Cheers for sharing, although it doesn't mean much to me it could be helpful to someone ;)

Unless they are already using something similar :rolleyes:

Edited by Azurren

Does the streak really need SWAP?

Swap kills speed in exchange for much needed ram.. On devices which don't have 512mb chips

hi Azurren.. Using the launcher SPB3D takes up a lot of RAM... I felt it would have been good to have some swap for the backgroud apps.. also it feels good to play with some swapspace :) thanks/rajpa

Edited by rajpa

Guest mrmrmrmr

has any one have any idea about the new source on opensource.Dell.com ?

could it be Gingerbread sources ?

It says 4.05 which could mean Honeycomb but I don't believe Dell would release that for Streak 5 as it's a phone and is not supported by Honeycomb.

Could it be ICS ? (I guess no)

Guest Azurren

hi Azurren.. Using the launcher SPB3D takes up a lot of RAM... I felt it would have been good to have some swap for the backgroud apps.. also it feels good to play with some swapspace :) thanks/rajpa

At the cost of EVERYTHING lagging noticeably ;)

I can remember us having a discussion about enabling SWAP for the Pulse.. But that phone needed it! (As in every app you opened force closed everything, including the launcher, text message service etc.)

Enabling swap would most likely ruin your SPB3D experience

Edited by Azurren

Guest MiloTheGreat

Loving this ROM, no force closes. Rock solid.

• Only issue I see is the browser is defaulting to mobile (XAstring??) and always says there is no internet connection although works fine.

Two thumbs good.

Guest MiloTheGreat

This is a problem with the facebook application I believe - I have exactly the same issue. If you uninstall the updates then it works fine.

There are various bad reviews on the facebook application from users all experiencing the same. Don't think its a streak issue at all!

Same here, however if you switch off the GPS (from power gadget) its fine, with the busy whirly-gig, you swipe down as if to move to the top of the list, and you'll see the FaceBook menu, then click on the top left (3 bar icon), then you get the new facebook sidebar menu. The whirly-gig never goes away, but its usable and nothing to do with the OS build, more likely a FB app issue.

Guest bek1977

I was having the same problem with my Facebook app messing up and not loading.

I replaced the framework-res.apk as mentioned previously to fix view in the browser. After I did that my Facebook app worked. That is the only thing I did differently. So I assume that fixed it.

Guest angel008

No I havn't

Cheers for sharing, although it doesn't mean much to me it could be helpful to someone

Unless they are already using something similar

I'm curious about that "someone" and "something similar"....:-)

has any one have any idea about the new source on opensource.Dell.com ?

could it be Gingerbread sources ?

It says 4.05 which could mean Honeycomb but I don't believe Dell would release that for Streak 5 as it's a phone and is not supported by Honeycomb.

Could it be ICS ? (I guess no)

looks like it is 2.3.5r1 .. search for this string in the HOW-TO-BUILD.txt ...

(is this the secret kernel steve is working on ;) we will soon find out ...! )

cheers/rajpa

Edited by rajpa

### ROM FEEDBACK - GingerStreak 2.4 ###

Hi,

My streak was bought new Dell unlocked and operator free. Running this for 16 hrs, no probs, no FC, no wifi issues. Followed Azurrens post #97, tremSr post #145 and Virtu300 post #147 (without the sighs ;)).

Battery seems better (did not calibrate it) and its smoother and faster then stock 2.2.2/354 or 191. Root is fine with SU 2.3.6.1 binary 2.2.2-efgh and so far no flashing button lights. Haven't tried flight mode yet - some issues were mentioned on some posts.

I haven't pushed it much so far: only a couple calls with BT, some GPS navigation with Ndrive, and market updates. I too have the issue with the Dolphin browser not going into mobile mode: the pages load like on a PC now - slower and more resource hungry. I don't use tethering, so I can't say, but the menu options for wifi and usb are there and I did turn them on without crashing.

I have two questions, more akin to my bad memory rather than bugs or flaws:

1) on my lockscreen in 191 the batery percentage showed up; it doesn't now. Was that a SD191 feature or something I installed and can't recall?

2) The icons on the top notification bar were different, in color. I thought it was a Go Launcher pro feature, but not. again, was that a SD191 feature or something I installed and can't recall?

The following week I'll keep this on and test daily usage, but first impressions are very good.

Thanks Devs.