Samsung Galaxy W (I8150) or HTC Desire S?

Guest Apnomis

Guest Apnomis

I upgraded my PAYG phone to an Orange San Francisco when it came out (I got one of the first generation ones with the AMOLED screen). However now I have well and truly caught the Android bug I'm finding it very limited - it's slow, crashes a lot, has stupidly low space available for app storage, is full of Orange junk, and most importantly the 100MB data cap on the Orange plan is very limiting, oh and the Orange signal is pretty poor where I have moved to.

With the help of this site I briefly considered rooting the phone and installing an unofficial version of Android 2.2 or 2.3. However, I have now decided to move networks to Virgin Mobile as I am a Virgin Media customer and their exclusive tariff seems like really good value and suits my usage - £15.99 for 100 minutes, 500 texts, 500MB Data, and 3000 minutes to other Virgin Mobiles, oh and calls from Virgin Media landlines to it are free also. Amazing value considering I'm paying at least £10 a month (sometimes more) on a PAYG contract that doesn't offer much at all.

So let me get to the point of this topic - Virgin Mobile can offer me the HTC Desire S or the new Samsung Galaxy W for free, question is which is the better phone?

The Desire S seems to be a more premium phone, but is getting old in smartphone terms, whereas the Galaxy W is a mid-range phone by today's standards but is brand new - so does a brand new mid range phone beat a 6 month old premium phone?

The specs seem pretty similar on paper, although the Galaxy W has a 1.4Ghz processor vs the Desire's 1Ghz, but then the Desire has 50% more RAM, but the Galaxy has double the ROM. Other than that the specs seems pretty similar, apart from the Galaxy having a newer version of Bluetooth but I've not idea what difference that makes.

I guess the thing I'm concerned about the most is the screen - I'm currently using an AMOLED one and it's gorgeous, however both the Desire S and Galaxy W have a LCD screen, but these are quoted at 16M colours rather than the 256k colours on the SF. The resolution seems to be the same on all of them...

So what would you do in my situation?