Q: Swap in System Partition

Guest styjp

Maybe this is a silly question but is there a way to create a swap file in the system partition within the phones own memory and use it as swap instead of using an SD card?

Guest Ma7moud

Maybe this is a silly question but is there a way to create a swap file in the system partition within the phones own memory and use it as swap instead of using an SD card?

it can be done in the cache partition on the phone's own memory, but it is said that it shortens the life of the phone memory

it can be done in the cache partition on the phone's own memory, but it is said that it shortens the life of the phone memory

Isnt comp cache just compression of a certain percentage of memory? I've got it enabled already. What I am looking for is using a swap file like the ones created using swapper stored in the system partition . Thnx!

Guest Ma7moud

Isnt comp cache just compression of a certain percentage of memory? I've got it enabled already. What I am looking for is using a swap file like the ones created using swapper stored in the system partition . Thnx!

not comp cache, real swap on the cache partition of the internal memory

see this link

not comp cache, real swap on the cache partition of the internal memory

see this link

I see.. Is this enabled by default? because i see some cached and swap cached in set cpu memory status. Im a bit of a rookie, im sorry! Whats the best way to maximize the performance of the cache partition? Im using A1 with only 256mb of ram as you can imagine

Guest Ma7moud

I see.. Is this enabled by default? because i see some cached and swap cached in set cpu memory status. Im a bit of a rookie, im sorry! Whats the best way to maximize the performance of the cache partition? Im using A1 with only 256mb of ram as you can imagine

i don't think its enabled by default, and i don't know if it should be there in set cpu memory status, its always there for me because i have a swap partition on the sd card, and i use swap to increase the ram performance, i have the same phone too

Guest zorginho

I've an idea: on the Phoenix's miui there's the swap enabled by default on /cache partition, maybe u can copy the init.d file and /cache file and paste to ur rom to have swap enabled in internal mem.

Edited by zorginho

Do not make swap in /cache - you won't be able to download apps from Market. I had swap on /data, since I'm using A2SD. Here 's the info -

Swap sux, it makes everything ultimately slow.

Guest zorginho

to do a permanent swap on /data

do that steps (u need a working adb):

download the file 11romzswap and unzip it

open a shell and insert that commands:

adb remount

adb push 11romzswap /system/etc/init.d/11romzswap

adb shell

chmod 0777 /system/etc/init.d/11romzswap

mount -o remount,rw /data

dd if=/dev/zero of=/data/swap.img bs=1024 count=32768

exit