Reformat phone without losing app data?

Guest Speckles

Guest Speckles

My phone seems to have lost its memory. Everyone I click "Remember this choice" it doesn't, ie, when creating a calendar event I get two dialogs. Several games reset everything to defaults everytime I switch the phone on/off, and now I've lost several of the icons along the bottom of the screen, only having 'Phone' and 'Applications' left!

So I think it's time to reset everything to factor defaults, but I really don't want to lose all the installed applications or application data.

Is there a way to do this? Don't care if I have to root.

Software: XXJVO

Guest richardj

My phone seems to have lost its memory. Everyone I click "Remember this choice" it doesn't, ie, when creating a calendar event I get two dialogs. Several games reset everything to defaults everytime I switch the phone on/off, and now I've lost several of the icons along the bottom of the screen, only having 'Phone' and 'Applications' left!

So I think it's time to reset everything to factor defaults, but I really don't want to lose all the installed applications or application data.

Is there a way to do this? Don't care if I have to root.

Software: XXJVO

I take it you have the Galaxy S GT-I9000?

Doing a wipe data/factory reset is going to wipe the phone of your Google and Samsung accounts. You can install Titanium Backup and back up apps and there data. JVO firmware is quit old now so why not check with kies to see if it offers you a update, if it doesn't you can always flash new firmware using odin.

Head over to samfirmware.com, register on the site and then you can download any firmware for your phone. There are guides on there to help you with the flashing process.

Edited by richardj

Guest Speckles

Good idea, I launched Kies and after updating itself, found out the latest version was JVQ. Updating to this version restored all my icons :)

Thanks!

Guest richardj

Good idea, I launched Kies and after updating itself, found out the latest version was JVQ. Updating to this version restored all my icons :)

Thanks!

Glad it worked for you. JVQ is the latest firmware version available via kies at the moment.