OMC /SKATE Can You Use Camera Flash as a Torch?

Guest FatLadZ

Guest admanirv

I've not done much lately, i haven't got the time because the s*** hit the fan a bit. I've gone to the extent C3C0 has writing an app but I actually tested it on my skate, but needless to say it didn't work :( - i think i know why though.

In a 5 week or so i will be having surgery and that's when i can really spend a lot of time on this, so until then i wont be doing much on it sorry.

I still think the direction is to fake it, thinking it took a picture.

It doesnt really matter what chipset it is, it depends on the hardware used and how it was implemented. For example you could have an MSM7227 chipset but an external flash that is a device in the linux gpio etc etc and then it would be easy.

Edited by admanirv

I am currently working on my own torch app. Debugged on virtual device only... as I am waiting for my Skate that is still getting repaired to test it. Anyway, I am kind of pessimistic - that means I give it like 10% chance that it will actually work :D

http://ceco.sk.eu.org/omc/torch.jpg

Amazing what you are doing friend ...

This really shows how much you Devs are capable and intelligent

We're all anxious and look forward to some good news!!

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Guest Wacky.ddw

In a 5 week or so i will be having surgery and that's when i can really spend a lot of time on this, so until then i wont be doing much on it sorry.

I hope its nothing to serious? Anyway good luck!

From i all things i want on the skate this is nr1.

Guest tilburgr

You can install "quick settings" from the android market.

It has at the top a 'torch' indication. If you tap on it the fullf screen will turn into white ...

(It is not using the led lamp for taking pictures however)

Guest Frankish
You can install "quick settings" from the android market.

It has at the top a 'torch' indication. If you tap on it the fullf screen will turn into white ...

(It is not using the led lamp for taking pictures however)

Been suggested already ...

Guest FatLadZ

Thanks tilburgl

But we really desperatly would love this featrure of the led torch :blink:

So far nobody has become a hero and managed to use their talented brains to sort this.

:o

Guest billpine

Glad it's not just me going huh.gif tried nearly every fecking app in the store and not a bean worked. Should have checked here first.... rolleyes.gif

Hey tillaz how much is a pint up your way, using your v5 (I like) when I get some PP funding I'll gift you one or 2 smile.gif

Edited by billpine

Guest tilal6991

Basically what the app is doing is activating the flash mechanism of the phone just like the camera does.

If we can change the blink rate to ~50 - 100 Hz then we can get a continuous light.

Guest admanirv

Basically what the app is doing is activating the flash mechanism of the phone just like the camera does.

If we can change the blink rate to ~50 - 100 Hz then we can get a continuous light.

Agree, as i said from day one this was my method to do it. So if 'kinda' of faking camera.

private static final int delayTime = 50;

private static final int delayTime_on = 10;

Taken from the initialisation constructor. Then its passed around, if we alter this then we should get a solid light, must be careful not to give myself epilepsy lol :D

Unfortunately, i just installed eclipse the other day and was begginging to write stuff so I'm getting my head around stuff as its just new to me :(

I'd imagine it will be along the lines of recompile the class and then make an apk, will it need signed?

Sorry for the questions, as i say its new to me.

We're close now though, though we MIGHT not be able to get a full flash depending on settings it might be a very quick on/off - if its detectable by the eye who know as yet.

Edited by admanirv

Guest TouchyAndalou

Assuming somebody finds a way to get the flash to stay on, does this mean that it would then eventually be possible to use the flash as a light for the camcorder? Or is that a step too far?

Guest admanirv

It would take a bit of work, firstly you'd need to get a proper flash and then hack the camera app and have a reference as far as a class etc or code inside the camera app.