V20L 'Official Gingerbread Update' for the P990 / LG Optimus 2X (finally) released

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest el_Charlie

Of course. Installed 20L some hours ago. Another very strange thing is that although they've made a new lock-screen, which is both prettier and smoother, it's not enabled by default. Which seems to me like this version wasn't intended for release either, but that someone at the top just said "Do it! Now!".

How do I enable that lockscreen???

And a question for Paul,

Can I upgrade to GR5 (when released) from this stock ROM????

Cheers!

Guest Trym Hansen

How do I enable that lockscreen???

in build.prop, set

user.feature.lock_andy=false

user.feature.lock_sui=true

Edited by Trym Hansen

Guest Tsaglis

Uploading prerooted and prerooted+deodexed V20L ClockworkMod images now.

Gr5 dev kitchen up tomorrow!

P

I did some digging/searching and i understood what approximately is deodexer rom.

I understand that a deodoxed is more "friendly" to themes or manipulation.

But what are the pros of a odexed over a deodexed one? Is it faster, in booting or in running?

Guest kickasskev

[

ETA on the Uploading prerooted and prerooted+deodexed V20L :rolleyes:

Sorry but Im so impatient................................................

Guest Tsaglis

[

ETA on the Uploading prerooted and prerooted+deodexed V20L :rolleyes:

Sorry but Im so impatient................................................

Me too! And I try no to be bitchy about it but I can't!

Paul please hurry! lol

Guest mankian

in build.prop, set

user.feature.lock_andy=false

user.feature.lock_sui=true

sorry to bug you again. any chance of a screen dump of the new lock screen? just curious lol!

Guest Trym Hansen

sorry to bug you again. any chance of a screen dump of the new lock screen? just curious lol!

The screenshot-function is disabled while the lockscreen is on, so here's a bad-quality photo instead. They look a little different along the bottom, and along the edges. This one also shows your background "through" the "glass" while charging, the old one shows only black while charging. The biggest difference is the animation though, this one is smooth.post-869413-0-25311500-1320181607_thumb.

Guest JevGenPC

Hello Guys,

have one question to persons who are using official update from LG, if there is really point to switch from cyagenmod 7 to official gingerbread?

Maybe some of you have experience in comparing the official gingerbread and CM7? what would your opinion about that?

The strange thing is that have my stock froyo backup made via ROM manager, when try to recover that and boot- optimus was stuck on lg logo,

wiping data did not help much, so switched back to CM7 by recovering the backup, which made before trying to repair stock FROYO

The question is if there are way to make it directrly mean CM7-> official update?

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR OPINIONS IN ADVANCE :)

Edited by JevGenPC

Guest rjpa123

I can confirm V20L update for Portugal.

The local carriers will require more time to add bloatware to their ROM update releases.

We can all check official ROM updates for each country using the LG Mobile Update tool.

a ) Start the application without the phone connected.

b ) Choose "Options & Help" menu -> "Country & Language"

c ) Select a country from the list which you want to verify (wait a few seconds for the app to update)

d ) Choose "Customer Support" -> "Supporting Model"

e ) Find the entries with "Model" column having the "LGP990" entry form the list.

Edited by rjpa123

Guest wulfredz

Hello Guys,

have one question to persons who are using official update from LG, if there is really point to switch from cyagenmod 7 to official gingerbread?

Maybe some of you have experience in comparing the official gingerbread and CM7? what would your opinion about that?

The strange thing is that have my stock froyo backup made via ROM manager, when try to recover that and boot- optimus was stuck on lg logo,

wiping data did not help much, so switched back to CM7 by recovering the backup, which made before trying to repair stock FROYO

The question is if there are way to make it directrly mean CM7-> official update?

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR OPINIONS IN ADVANCE :)

You're stuck in bootloop is because original is on ext3 and since you're in cm7, must likely you have convert to ext4, i had the same problem earlier, but if you use Paul's back to ext3 follow by factory reset + wipe cache + dalvik's cache then only revert, it should work

Edited by wulfredz

Guest Simon Pratte

You're stuck in bootloop is because original is on ext3 and since you're in cm7, must likely you have convert to ext4, i had the same problem earlier, but if you use Paul's back to ext3 follow by factory reset + wipe cache + dalvik's cache then only revert, it should work

Is the conversion to EXT4 made automatically when you install CM 7.1?

I installed CM 7.1 through ROM Manager and that's it. So I'm wondering if I'll have to revert back to EXT3 when installing the new stock ROM.

Guest wulfredz

I installed CM 7.1 through ROM Manager and that's it. So I'm wondering if I'll have to revert back to EXT3 when installing the new stock ROM.

I tried cm7 earlier and it was converted from ext3 to ext4. You can try to convert back to ext3 before you do anything with official LG rom (their's still in ext3, where most custom rom have ext4 & yes its automatically converted for performance)

Guest hackworks

The conversion is automatic, you need to convert back. Infact, I wish CM had not done that conversion and just mounted ext3 as ext4 the way it did before the auto conversion was made. CM7 can be installed on ext3 by removing the format command in the update-script, I have tried it and works but a pain to edit on every nightly!

Guest JevGenPC

Thanks for advice

Other question was if there any point to switch back to original LG rV20L rom from CM? ( Mean performance, stablity?) CM is much more stable comparing to original FROYO from LG,

but still have some issues, using CM 7,1 at the moment

Guest Harbromme

Thanks for advice

Other question was if there any point to switch back to original LG rV20L rom from CM? ( Mean performance, stablity?) CM is much more stable comparing to original FROYO from LG,

but still have some issues, using CM 7,1 at the moment

I cannot answer your question based on experience (downloading v20l at the moment with my crappy dsl1000 connection), but having done backup and recovery with several roms over the last months and the

rather easy way it is done, I'd give it a shot.

What I can say is that my own problems with the 2x seem to be coming from several apps that seem to cause problems (especially some task managers, battery savers and the like).

My own reason for even trying custom roms was not performance or stability of v10c but the lack of dual core support, power consumption and known security issues of froyo.

I've had a few smartphones over the years (iphone 3gs, nokia n95, blackberry storm, htc magic) but the power consumption of the 2x made them look like real power savers.

Pauls custom from from mid october was the first one I'd call ok and that I hadnt need to plug in almost every time i came near a power source.

But I had a few problems with it(camera not working and gps fix taking an eternity) and I wanted to take a look on the official version although my expectations are not that high.

And as I wrote, the way back to custom roms is always open...

Guest reb00tz

Hi all,

Just an update on my experience with EUR v20L from GR4 on my locally-branded (StarHub SG) O2X set:

Firstly, I had to get the "original" firmware recovery image to "replace" CWM.

Secondly, I couldn't get KDZ flasher to work (kept crashing on my Windows 7 64-bit OS) despite doing everything including using the latest v3.5 drivers and providing the "latest" LGMobileDL.dll to the KDZ_FW_UPD.exe.

So I ended up flashing the four baseband files separately (largest to smallest), re-installed CWM, wiped everything (data, cache, Dalvik), then installed Paul's deodexed CWM image (with my custom changes as follows), wiped cache and Dalvik cache again.

Changes to build.prop as follows:

• changed/reverted:
    • ro.product.device=p990_EUR-xx to ro.product.device=p990
    • ro.product.manufacturer=LGE to ro.product.manufacturer=lge
    • ro.build.product=p990_EUR-xx to ro.build.product=p990
    • added:
      • user.feature.ntp=true
      • persist.adb.notify=0
        I also removed (zero-byted) the following /system/media/audio/* files:
        • PowerOn.mp3
        • PowerOff.mp3
        • camera_click.ogg
        • VideoRecord.ogg
          Unfortunately, the camera and video recording sounds are still there (but the camera sound can be silenced via in-application setting).

Also, I "tried" the "other lockscreen", but didn't see any difference in "smoothness" as claimed though.

I also discovered (was rather obvious, but I didn't think about it) that the APNs from the EUR v20L don't have any APN settings for local (Singapore) telcos... so I had to grab it and add it in.

I also ripped out "useless" (at least to me) APKs:
          • Miscellaneous:
            • AndroidBackup.apk (Android Backup)
            • LibFlashPlayer.apk (Adobe Flash Player)
            • MS_lge_for2_2_Ver7_1_07785_signed.apk (F-Secure)
            • PolarisOffice.apk (Polaris Office)
            • PreloadedApp.apk (Colorize, etc.)
            • Google applications: (prefer to obtain from Market)
              • Maps.apk (I use brut.all/ownhere versions)
              • Street.apk (has to be uninstalled first to use the above anyway)
              • Talk.apk (old GTalk, replaced with GR4 version)
              • YouTube.apk

[*]LG applications:

[*]AppAdvisor_v2.0.57_production_signed_aligned.apk (LG App Advisor)[*]SNS.apk (LG's version of social media apps and widgets)[*]OmaDmclient.apk (over-the-air update client)[*]LG RemoteCall (LG's direct remote-control support)

[*]lgercui.apk[*]RSstarter.apk[*]RsupInput.apk[*]RsupSrn.apk[*]RsupUInput.apk[*]DM_RsupInput.apk[*]DM_RsupSrn.apk[*]DM_RsupUInput.apk

And I also removed all live wallpapers (except for the live wall paper picker):

[*]Bubbles.apk[*]com_lge_christmassnowcity.apk[*]FireworkWallpaper.apk[*]GalaxyWallpaper.apk[*]LiveWallpapers.apk[*]MagneticWallpaper.apk[*]RainyDay2Wallpaper.apk[*]SpaceWallpaper.apk[*]TreeInSnowWallpaper.apk[*]VisualizationWallpapers.apk[*]wdwallpaper.apk

I then added the following APKs (from GR4):

[*]SpareParts.apk[*]Superuser.apk (su)[*]VoiceDialer.apk (Google Voice Dialler)[*]Talk2.apk (Google Talk)

Added some UOT battery mods, then proceeded to (re-)install all my apps from Market.

Using Titanium Backup, I only restored my contacts, SMS, messaging data (everything else media-related are all on external SD card and remained untouched through the wipes)... Insofar as I can tell, after a full day of use:

[*]battery drain is rather high, but probably because I have everything turned on 24/7 (Wifi, BT, GPS, background social media apps, etc.)[*]very smooth; LG music played doesn't skip/micro-freeze due to other heavy activity[*]YouTube actually (or finally?) works[*]FD bugs haven't reared it's head (yet?)

Thanks Paul, and all the others! I finally have a working O2X! :D

Edited by reb00tz

...tasy ROM cooking description...

Thanks for all that! I'll be trying some customisation of V20L myself this weekend and that's a useful post.

Paul has got his hands on a Galaxy Nexus, so he may be spending a bit more time on that than the O2X just nowsad.gif