Struggling big time, please assist

Guest wolverine73

Guest wolverine73

Hi everyone - ive read every thread from here to kingdom come regarding installing a custom rom but im really struggling with it.

I can get the Dell Streak in fast boot mode and ive connected to PC and flashed the Streak 354 recovery image through the Fast Boot mode.

I then downloaded the Streak 354 Rom and extracted it as a zip file and left it as that.

I then took the memory card from the Streak, put into the pc and put the Streak 354 Rom on the SD card ( i renamed the Rom as 'update.pkg' and it was not in any folders - just as it is a zip file)

I then put the SD card back into the Streak, pull the battery and wait 10 seconds

Then when i go into recovery mode on phone and choose the option 'Software Upgrade via update.pkg on SD card it fails. The screen goes black and then comes back with some info saying that i need to insert a microSD card containing an update file!?!?!

Not sure where im going wrong but after 3 hours im getting frustrated - any help would be appreciated - thanks in advance

Edited by wolverine73

Guest (InsertNameHere)

Official roms come in the form of a pkg file, custom roms come in the form of a zip file.

The 2 different types of rom are flashed in different ways, if its a official rom, you download the recovery and pkg that belong together, so for instance the recovery.img for 360, and the pkg for 360, flash recovery.img for 360, then put renamed update.pkg in root \ of microsd card, the update.pkg should be seen by the recovery.img you installed and flash the rom.

Custom roms on the other hand, are flashed in a different way.

Download StreakMod, flash it using fastboot the same way you did the recovery.img file.

Now put the zip file of the custom rom you wish to flash in the root \ of your microsd card.

Go into recovery the same way, choose to update the same way, you should be taken to the StreakMod menu. You use the volume up and down and camera button to choose and select.

Select the menu option to flash and naviagate to choose your rom, you should now be able to flash the custom rom.

Very important, do not factory reset from within streakmod, use the standard factory reset option in the dell menu.

Edited by (InsertNameHere)

Guest marvin02

. . .

I then downloaded the Streak 354 Rom and extracted it as a zip file and left it as that.

. . .

No need to extract anything. The stock .pkg files and the custom rom .zip files are processed by the recovery when they are installed.

Suggested reading

Edit: even though there are update.zip files available for stock ROMs do not use them. Use the .pkg file - this will give you a clean install.

Edited by marvin02

Guest wolverine73

wow thankyou both so very much,i managed to install StreakMod - and flashed the SimpleStreak Rom and it booted up in no time!

i noticed though that on rebooting the Streak a second time that the Streak got stuck on the Dell Logo so had to do a battery pull go into Streakmod recovery and do it all again?

I've read somewhere that im supposed to change a file name so when it reboots again it will just be into the SimpleStreak Rom ive downloaded but im not sure which one to change!!

I've got Root Explorer so im good to go - thanks in advance again

Seems fine now, when it first booted i dint get the proper android welcome screen, so i did a factory reset and then redid it all and now is sorted smile.gif

Edited by wolverine73

Guest Azurren

wow thankyou both so very much,i managed to install StreakMod - and flashed the SimpleStreak Rom and it booted up in no time!

i noticed though that on rebooting the Streak a second time that the Streak got stuck on the Dell Logo so had to do a battery pull go into Streakmod recovery and do it all again?

I've read somewhere that im supposed to change a file name so when it reboots again it will just be into the SimpleStreak Rom ive downloaded but im not sure which one to change!!

I've got Root Explorer so im good to go - thanks in advance again

Seems fine now, when it first booted i dint get the proper android welcome screen, so i did a factory reset and then redid it all and now is sorted smile.gif

Chances are it wan't "stuck" on the Dell logo. The first boot of a new rom can take upwards of 10mins ;)

I would recommend using GingerStreak, all it takes is one extra fastboot step (Flashing AMSS and DSP1)