[ROM] StreakDroid GingerStreak 2.4.4 RELEASE R1

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest Azurren

What about ICS for Dell Streak 5? :)

You'll just have to wait.. And hope ;)

Dell won't be releasing an ICS update, fards no longer has a Streak so our chances rest solely with the DJ (And he has several other devices other than the Streak to Dev for)

The Streak isn't an easy device to develop for

Guest mellojoe

Another issue:

Using the "REBOOT" feature in the power menu options breaks some widgets. I don't know why, but it seems when I click REBOOT, the system comes back up with several widgets listed as "Problem Loading Widget".

Beautiful Widgets (weather)

Free Power Widget (toggles)

widgets loaded on Widget Locker (lockscreen)

Anyone else experience this?

Guest mrmrmrmr

not sure anyway what ICS would add to the daily use of the streak.

this GB rom does it all. I'll wait for ICS on my HP touchpad

it surely would add a lot. for example, I'd like to see face unlock and new launcher with folders, task manager etc.. on my Streak.

Streak is a good device and deserves ICS.

Btw, any news about usb host support, Steve ?

Guest WakeRider89

Are you using the "portrait" option in the installer?

We suspect this may be the cause

this has been my problem for a very long time now, even since back on froyo roms when protrait first came available! i cant believe i never thought of that being the issue....

i know what im doing tonight

Guest mellojoe

it surely would add a lot. for example, I'd like to see face unlock and new launcher with folders, task manager etc.. on my Streak.

Streak is a good device and deserves ICS.

Built in data controls, and limits.

Guest (InsertNameHere)

Another issue:

Using the "REBOOT" feature in the power menu options breaks some widgets. I don't know why, but it seems when I click REBOOT, the system comes back up with several widgets listed as "Problem Loading Widget".

Beautiful Widgets (weather)

Free Power Widget (toggles)

widgets loaded on Widget Locker (lockscreen)

Anyone else experience this?

I can confirm this happens to me, Beautiful widgets, Extended Controls and Battery Monitor Widget Pro

Guest jaw2floor

I've just ran some benchmarks, and the results seem pretty boring apart from the Gears test.

2.4.4 Benchmarks

Quadrant

998MHz...................- 1280

1267MHz...................- 1500

Gears for Android*

56fps~

2.4.2.1 Benchmarks

Quadrant

998MHz...................- 1255

1267MHz..................- 1583

Gears for Android*

46fps

*Overclocking made no difference to the framerate.

Edited by jaw2floor

The problems I've had so far:

• When I'm in call, then when I want to use the phone, before I hang up, then the screen is completely unresponsive. Sometimes if I wait a while (more than 10 seconds) it will work but often not. If it have to go though phone hell menus then I need to put it on speaker phone, because once the proximity sensor is activated then I'm hooped. The same problem applies when I want to hang up. Usually I reboot.
  • The volume is quite loud when in a call even at the lowest setting. Any setting above this is too loud to bear.
  • Wifi is buggy. Once connected to a network, it does not switch to data or another wifi connection. When I get to work it still says it is connected to my home router and won't switch to data or the router there without toggling the wifi.

Other than that things seem to be working okay.

I did do 'Reversal' install and reinstalled my apps from the market.

My install.txt contained

us160

bios

noswype

Guest (InsertNameHere)

The problems I've had so far:

• When I'm in call, then when I want to use the phone, before I hang up, then the screen is completely unresponsive. Sometimes if I wait a while (more than 10 seconds) it will work but often not. If it have to go though phone hell menus then I need to put it on speaker phone, because once the proximity sensor is activated then I'm hooped. The same problem applies when I want to hang up. Usually I reboot.
  • The volume is quite loud when in a call even at the lowest setting. Any setting above this is too loud to bear.
  • Wifi is buggy. Once connected to a network, it does not switch to data or another wifi connection. When I get to work it still says it is connected to my home router and won't switch to data or the router there without toggling the wifi.

Other than that things seem to be working okay.

I did do 'Reversal' install and reinstalled my apps from the market.

My install.txt contained

us160

bios

noswype

For the volume problem while on a call, i find that you cannot reduce volume until you press the volume up key, once you have done that, you should then be able to lower the volume using the volume down key.

Guest alert_bri

Been running on a very high auto-killer profile for a while now ("auto killer" free from market) @300, 320, 350 and the phone is running much smoother. Not a single crash yet but the best way to confirm is for more people to try it out :lol:

Note that the free version doesn't set this on boot. So if you reboot you'll need to open the app and click apply again

Thanks Azurren, good solid tip - I can confirm this does make things more stable.

This, along with VM Heap size set to 32MB is needed on 2.4.4 imho... I'm now running on "Smoothass" governor, 128Mhz to 998Mhz and getting great battery life.

Cheers

Brian

Guest Azurren

Thanks Azurren, good solid tip - I can confirm this does make things more stable.

This, along with VM Heap size set to 32MB is needed on 2.4.4 imho... I'm now running on "Smoothass" governor, 128Mhz to 998Mhz and getting great battery life.

Cheers

Brian

I haven't done the heap changes this time around (I can never remember, I flash to many roms ;))

But its still working flawlessly with little negative impact

I can still browse Twitter / FB and follow web links, watch a video then switch back to Twitter / FB without any of it being closed. All I need really!

For anyone concerned THIS ISN'T A TASK KILLER. I know that the general consensus is that task killers are bad (And I tend to agree with this), this app merely changes the stock android task manager settings.

So instead of closing apps when the ram goes to low (Which causes the phone to soft-restart) it starts closing background apps sooner. Typically it won't have any effect on how you use your device whatsoever.

Guest alert_bri

Also worth mentioning, the paid version of the autokiller memory optimizer has an advanced tweaks section - I've selected every tweak and so far no ill effects.

Cheers

Brian

Just out of curiosity, does this kernel undervolt the CPU at all?

I only ask as my Streak hates undervolting as far as I can tell. Any ROM which isn't based on basically a stock kernel (since most seem to undervolt, if I am correct) has loads of issues on my Streak.

Would it be too much to ask for a more stock-like kernel so we can choose between them, (or is there a way I can shoehorn a stock kernel onto this ROM) perhaps? It seems to dramatically reduce the instances of random reboots, which, on most custom kernels, are basically guaranteed during times when the Streak is doing something CPU intensive (video/games/GPS) or the Streak is warm (sunny day).

Guest JOBooth

So when ya'll are saying to set the VM heap to 32MB, you're talking build.prop dalvik.vm.heapsize correct? Mine is currently set to 64. You're suggesting to drop it?

Guest Azurren

Just out of curiosity, does this kernel undervolt the CPU at all?

I only ask as my Streak hates undervolting as far as I can tell. Any ROM which isn't based on basically a stock kernel (since most seem to undervolt, if I am correct) has loads of issues on my Streak.

Would it be too much to ask for a more stock-like kernel so we can choose between them, (or is there a way I can shoehorn a stock kernel onto this ROM) perhaps? It seems to dramatically reduce the instances of random reboots, which, on most custom kernels, are basically guaranteed during times when the Streak is doing something CPU intensive (video/games/GPS) or the Streak is warm (sunny day).

I don't think this kernal supports undervolting

So when ya'll are saying to set the VM heap to 32MB, you're talking build.prop dalvik.vm.heapsize correct? Mine is currently set to 64. You're suggesting to drop it?

32mb is android default, the recommended "safe" tweak is 48mb ;)

You can download "VM Heap tool" free from the market

But as I have said above, it doesn't make much noticeable difference (Auto killer does)

Guest JOBooth

Interesting. Must be a tweak made by DJ. I'm running StreakDroid 2.4.4 and here are the untouched lines from my build.prop:

dalvik.vm.startheapsize=64m

dalvik.vm.heapsize=64m

Seems to be working, I'm leavin' it ;-)

I am, however, messing around with AutoKiller

Edited by JOBooth

Guest kimheong

Darn..i just bought another new DX cable..thought that my old one was damaged :(

Anyway..will update again if the new one works :( crossing fingers... :)

cheers...

Just to update inc ase anyone interested....The new "el-cheapo dealxtreme cable " works fine & highly suspect the older cable was not good :)

Cheers...

Guest kimheong

Just curious..is anyone having the "mute" issue?

The other caller still able to hear me even though i had muted my streak (the mute LED is is ligh-up).

this does not happend regularly ..but sure is annoying when you try to multi-task...

any thoughts or tips?

Thx...

Guest jaw2floor

I've re-installed this with:

noswype

bios

portrait

And everything is MUCH better. I advise everyone else to NOT use the StageUI, it is slow and buggy.

Also, 3D performance kinda sucks. I can't play Minecraft or Reckless Getaway (both 3D games) because they runt at <5 fps.

Guest Joel Joseph

i had bought a dell streak 3 months ago and got it just delivered last week, and in less than a day i managed to crack the screenbiggrin.gif, in the 3 months i have been eagerly waiting and reading alot of forums and have been hearing alot from DJ_Steve and the custom roms being released and i just wanted to get the streak and load them. now that am waiting for a new screen,it will keep me waiting to load the rew rom for another weeksad.gif.... hope i get it fixed soon.... cool.gif

Guest JOBooth

Oh man, that seriously sucks! Hope you get it fixed up soon so you can hack away. I'm running StreakDroid 2.4.4 (DB 2.3.3 by DJ) and hafta say it's the best ROM yet. I love this ginormous phone!