[ROM] StreakDroid GingerStreak 2.4.4 RELEASE R1

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest Azurren

i had bought a dell streak 3 months ago and got it just delivered last week, and in less than a day i managed to crack the screenbiggrin.gif, in the 3 months i have been eagerly waiting and reading alot of forums and have been hearing alot from DJ_Steve and the custom roms being released and i just wanted to get the streak and load them. now that am waiting for a new screen,it will keep me waiting to load the rew rom for another weeksad.gif.... hope i get it fixed soon.... cool.gif

Sorry but that's just hilarious :lol:

I've been there before.. Sucks

Guest DaPhreeek

I've used a number of DJ Steve's ROMs and this one is definitely one of the best.... Not quite as stable as 1.9.1 (I get very ocasional sleep of death and random reboot) but it has heaps of added features added that make up for it.

Just wanna say thanks heaps for all your time and skills.

I've recently been playing around to make everything more usable, automated, and responsive. I use Go Launcher mainly coz I love the customising options and the calendar widget. I've got AutoKiller set to Strict preset, SetCPU at 1190 -> 128 smoothass, and VM Heap set to 32. It's now running like a dream with no lagging.

For battery improvement, I have various profiles in SetCPU to slow it slightly (1036mHz) after 50% battery gone, then 844mHz when under 20%. But the main suggestion I have is to get Tasker and set up some power profiles. On power I turn on WIFI and auto sync. When off power I turn both off. On a separate profile, between 00:01 and 00:06 and repeating every 30 mins, and when power is disconnected, I first turn on Mobile Data and Auto Sync then wait for 5 mins then turn both off again. And then on another profile, when WIFI is off and Power disconnected, I set the list of apps I want data on for (eg. Maps, Gmail, browser...) and set mobile data on. For the exit task, I have it wait 1 minute before turning mobile data back off - so when switching between apps it doesn't disconnect.

I've found I can get heaps of standby time with these settings and still get all my e-mails and background updates. I also used the tasker widget on my homescreen to make it easy to turn on and off wifi/data...

I also use the Locale Execute plugin to delete the delvik cache at 3am each morning, then it reboots my phone. Not sure if this helps much, but saves me having to do it manually. Would be interested to know how often most people do this....

Guest Azurren

I've used a number of DJ Steve's ROMs and this one is definitely one of the best.... Not quite as stable as 1.9.1 (I get very ocasional sleep of death and random reboot) but it has heaps of added features added that make up for it.

Just wanna say thanks heaps for all your time and skills.

I've recently been playing around to make everything more usable, automated, and responsive. I use Go Launcher mainly coz I love the customising options and the calendar widget. I've got AutoKiller set to Strict preset, SetCPU at 1190 -> 128 smoothass, and VM Heap set to 32. It's now running like a dream with no lagging.

For battery improvement, I have various profiles in SetCPU to slow it slightly (1036mHz) after 50% battery gone, then 844mHz when under 20%. But the main suggestion I have is to get Tasker and set up some power profiles. On power I turn on WIFI and auto sync. When off power I turn both off. On a separate profile, between 00:01 and 00:06 and repeating every 30 mins, and when power is disconnected, I first turn on Mobile Data and Auto Sync then wait for 5 mins then turn both off again. And then on another profile, when WIFI is off and Power disconnected, I set the list of apps I want data on for (eg. Maps, Gmail, browser...) and set mobile data on. For the exit task, I have it wait 1 minute before turning mobile data back off - so when switching between apps it doesn't disconnect.

I've found I can get heaps of standby time with these settings and still get all my e-mails and background updates. I also used the tasker widget on my homescreen to make it easy to turn on and off wifi/data...

I also use the Locale Execute plugin to delete the delvik cache at 3am each morning, then it reboots my phone. Not sure if this helps much, but saves me having to do it manually. Would be interested to know how often most people do this....

This: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=739530

Is probably one of the best ways of saving battery without impeding performance

3g and "auto" (even worse) use up a lot more battery than 2g.

You will need to "resign" the StreakDroid update zip.

Guest DaPhreeek
This: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=739530

That looks like a great way of doing it, but I really cant be bothered resigning and re flashing :) I was gunna switch to 2g in tasker but it wont let me - probably same reasoning with the resigning...

I also like being able to set it on a schedule so I still get email and calendar updates regularly

Edited by DaPhreeek

Guest Azurren

That looks like a great way of doing it, but I really cant be bothered resigning and re flashing :) I was gunna switch to 2g in tasker but it wont let me - probably same reasoning with the resigning...

I also like being able to set it on a schedule so I still get email and calendar updates regularly

Yeah native (stock) android doesn't support 2g/3g toggling (By apps)

The above injects this into most roms, it also includes a tasker/local plugin as well as it's own magic little automated app :)

Guest mrmrmrmr

This: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=739530

Hi,

I didn't understand how this works. The thread subject says it is a Tasker/Locale plugin. Then why we have to resign the ROM ?

Shall we also install Tasker for this to work ?

Guest Azurren

Hi,

I didn't understand how this works. The thread subject says it is a Tasker/Locale plugin. Then why we have to resign the ROM ?

Shall we also install Tasker for this to work ?

You don't have to use Tasker / locale, it comes with a standalone app (and optional widget) which automatically switches between 2g/3g/auto on screen off (highly configurable)

It works by injecting / modifying several key android apps (such as phone.apk? etc.) and therefore needs re-signing.

The latest version is a lot better than the one I had been using. It only resigns the apps it needs instead of the entire rom regardless

Guest mrmrmrmr

You don't have to use Tasker / locale, it comes with a standalone app (and optional widget) which automatically switches between 2g/3g/auto on screen off (highly configurable)

It works by injecting / modifying several key android apps (such as phone.apk? etc.) and therefore needs re-signing.

The latest version is a lot better than the one I had been using. It only resigns the apps it needs instead of the entire rom regardless

is it safe to upgrade from 2.4.4 R1 to 2.4.4 R1 resigned ?

Shall I have to wipe data ?

Guest Azurren

is it safe to upgrade from 2.4.4 R1 to 2.4.4 R1 resigned ?

Shall I have to wipe data ?

It will most likely require a full wipe.

The previous version needed a complete reversal install, but you maybe able to get away without it. (Although its only an extra 5-10mins)

Guest alert_bri

This 2g toggle looks Ike it would be a good feature to have in streakdroid... I'm guessing that Stephen has switched his attention to ICS now though.

I guess I'll go through the process.

Cheers

Brian

Guest JOBooth

Ok. So I set my VM to 48mb and played with autokiller. That combo has taken care of the remaining niggles bothering me with 2.3.3. My wifi is rock solid and my uptime has substantially increased. The Streak doesn't seem much "snappier" as it was pretty darn quick to begin with. I'm running 245/998 on ondemand. I'm after stability, not blistering speed and now I have it! No SOD. No random reboots.

I actually purchased autokiller pro so it would set chuck norris mode and apply settings at reboot.

I LOVE this ginormous phone! It just keeps getting better. I know people talk smack about Dell, but I've always had great customer service with them and I love this phone. My wife loves her Venue. they're good in my book.

Thank you to Dell, and developers. You all rock!

If you're in the US then have a happy turkey day!

Guest mrmrmrmr

It will most likely require a full wipe.

The previous version needed a complete reversal install, but you maybe able to get away without it. (Although its only an extra 5-10mins)

what do you mean by 5-10 mins ?

Guest Azurren

what do you mean by 5-10 mins ?

I mean a full reversal install only takes 5-10min longer than a factory reset ;)

A little more effort but a guaranteed working install

Guest mrmrmrmr

Hi,

I just wanted to taste Google Talk 2 with video features and installed the Talk2 app from here:

http://forum.xda-dev...=1233682&page=1

This package updates the Google Services Framework as well.

The new app is working (except that video is not running fine)

But, the device is laggy at the moment. Is that because of the Google Framework ?

(nothing else has changed)

edit:

I've deleted Dalvik Cache and then formatted cache partition. Now it is working.

(and Video is working as well)

Edited by mrmrmrmr

Guest Azurren

Hi,

I just wanted to taste Google Talk 2 with video features and installed the Talk2 app from here:

http://forum.xda-dev...=1233682&page=1

This package updates the Google Services Framework as well.

The new app is working (except that video is not running fine)

But, the device is laggy at the moment. Is that because of the Google Framework ?

(nothing else has changed)

edit:

I've deleted Dalvik Cache and then formatted cache partition. Now it is working.

(and Video is working as well)

Great to hear ;)

I tested the talk2 app on Fards old release and it worked fairly well (Haven't needed it since though)

Guest Azurren

So are we getting a update soon (to fix 3d perf.), or is Steve hard at work getting ICS on the DS7?

A while ago Steve tweeted this:

http://twitpic.com/7iwzwj

455035843.jpg

But afaik there is a whole hoard of problems which need to be solved before development even starts (Touch screen, drivers, etc.)

Plus there's the Streak 7, the other phone (I forgot) and his new love the Xperia Play :P

So, we're used to it here @MoDaCo Streak. Good things come to those who wait

Guest niallmoran

i imagine the problem will be the lack of driver sources as i think it was this that caused such a pain for him and fards in getting GB up and running (until the leaked kernel was used by fards!).....hopefully he can work his magic but i think ICS might be a step too far for our streaks, especially since fards has jumped ship - hopefully i'm wrong though :P

Guest pompeyboyz

Had some serious problems yesterday with my streak as i was trying to listen to music through it using various apps(doubletwist, Native App, Tunewiki and ZPlayer) and all of them crashed and the phone rebooted after 5-20 minutes of play. The songs were constantly jumping and sounding poor. I know the mp3/aac files are fine as they play perfectly on my ipod. Anyone else suffered this?

Guest martyj999

Had some serious problems yesterday with my streak as i was trying to listen to music through it using various apps(doubletwist, Native App, Tunewiki and ZPlayer) and all of them crashed and the phone rebooted after 5-20 minutes of play. The songs were constantly jumping and sounding poor. I know the mp3/aac files are fine as they play perfectly on my ipod. Anyone else suffered this?

I'm no expert, but it sounds like you were running out of memory....I know it's looked down upon but I always used to run advanced task killer free from the market to kill all unessential apps/processes just to get the things I wanted to run....jumpy playback in spotify was where I noticed the problem the most....also when running lots of flash in the browser...the whole phone would come to a stand still until I ran it.

That's my quick fix anyway...YRMV

Guest alert_bri

Just had my 32GB Lexar micro SDHC card go corrupt over night... had to reformat this morning. Remember to keep backups folks!

I'm running the autokiller optimiser with Azurren's settings above, and have Heap size set to 48MB - definitely more stable, but still not as stable as I would like. Problem is, I've forgotten which version was most stable so I doubt whether I'll go to a previous build. Will just use this and be happy for now smile.gif

Cheers

Brian

Guest (InsertNameHere)

Development on StreakDroid has slowed, however some devs are still tweaking away over @ XDA

http://forum.xda-dev...splay.php?f=698

The developer of Gkernal is fairly certain he has resolved the wifi issues and both PowerRom and DSC are smooth and stable.

:)

Power rom 1.2 is not so good, problems toggling wifi and gps on and off, but Power rom lite, thats excellent, had a quadrant score of 3000 on that

Guest Azurren

Power rom 1.2 is not so good, problems toggling wifi and gps on and off, but Power rom lite, thats excellent, had a quadrant score of 3000 on that

Yeah sorry, I did mean PowerRom Lite

I never tried PowerRom for those exact reasons

V3 uses GKernal.. Lowers Quadrant score by quite a bit but fixes wifi and safes battery (Still smooth)