desire Z aka G2 stuck on German key map

Guest Speculatrix

Guest Speculatrix

I returned my DesireZ to HTC for repair due to problems with flash corruption, and unrooted it before sending.

It came back with the keyboard map set to German, but although I have changed it in the settings, when I type Z it sends Y, and vice versa, and many of the punctuation keys are wrong too. I have checked, and chaneged

My language is set to English(United Kingdon). I go to Locale settings, I am offered

English(Austria)

English(Switzerland)

English(German)

but not English(England). The other locales are Deutsch, Francais, Italiano. no England! I changed it, just now, to something else and I can't go back to English(united kingdom). sigh.

Under Language&Keyboard->TouchInput->HardwareKeyboardSettings there's a choice of German or English. This doesn't make any difference. Under the International Keyboard option in same menu I can choose to allow switching between german or english, again, no effect.

so I am wonder if somehow when I returned the phone they flashed some central European firmware??

the strange thing is that the onscreen keyboard works fine, it shows English layout and the virtual keys work perfectly.

if I am operating in landscape mode the status bar shows "En" but keyboard is German. If I hit FUNCTION+SPACEBAR then it offers the option to switch between English and German keyboards, and status bar will switch between En and De, but the keyboard mapping doesn't change!

I am happy with the gingerbread 2.3.3 install that HTC put on it, but I am willing to flash VirtuousUnity as I used that in the past with a previous phone when I was loaned a DesireZ, but I am reluctant to put it on this phone as it made it unreliable which is why it had to go back to HTC!

thanks for any thoughts

Paul

Edited by Speculatrix

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Speculatrix

I have decided to try a reflash, since the phone is not rooted yet (I am waiting for ICS port), I need to flash to official HTC release.

as I understand it, I need an RUU, european generic variant.

I can't find a trusted place I can download it from?

thanks

Guest Speculatrix

I found a genuine WWE edition of RUU for Gingerbread and ran it to flash my DZ.

It didn't make a difference. And it caused the thing I wanted to avoid which was a total wipe :-(<br /><br />I decided to root and install virtuous unity, so I did the usual process of downgrading to original 1.34 rom, rooting etc, but I missed the crucial stage of checking/changing the CID before I upgraded to VU. The keyboard map was still wrong. I found the CID was wrongly set to HTC__102 which was HTC Germany, but the upgraded kernel didn't work with gfree. So I re-downgraded, used gfree to fix the CID, carefully checked S-OFF etc before finally re-upgrading to VUnity, and now everything's wonderful.<br /><br />So, the CID does more than control what firmware is allowed to be installed, it also causes the locale to be customised in a way you can't override.<br /><br />If you haven't tried one of the virtuousrom roms you're missing out. I didn't try affinity since I think it'd be *too* heavy with sense3.5, but unity and sense3.0 offers many improvements over older sense.

Edited by Speculatrix