Behind on Recent Developments and ROMs

Guest boonrider

Guest boonrider

Hi,

I've just got back from a 3 months trip and i'm trying to catch up with the developments that have occurred in this time.

Before I left I checked modaco most days so I was pretty up to date with the goings on. I'm running GSF B13 which is obviously a long way out of date.

I've spent the last few hours trying to familiarize myself with changes that have occurred etc, but quite honestly i've just become overwhelmed!

My wife also bought an Orange San Francisco in the UK and i'd like to get her phone to something 'stable', something that 'just works'. Mine can be a little more experimental :)

I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out with a few questions:

1) When I left ZTE, had not released the kernel source code for 2.6.35. Has this now happened for one of the ZTE Blade variants or are custom ROMs still based on the kernels from leaked ROMs?

2) I believe I read that Wifi now can stay on in sleep (if you tell it to). This was something that was never possible before. Is this a feature of the newer kernel?

3) Similar to 2, I think I read that the notification lights also now work (without it being plugged in). Is that true and did this come from the 'new' kernel?

4) The number of ROMs is completely overwhelming. I would have gone back to GSF, but I see it is no longer being developed. There is a lot of talk about a Monte Carlo ROM having dolby (and louder sound) but that is also discontinued? Are they also based off the same kernels or are some more modern than others? Any recommendations for a 'stable' and fast ROM would be really appreciated. I like to understand differences, but i'm finding it really tough.

Thanks again, answers or pointing me in the right direction for any of these questions would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Orange San Francisco,

Guest hugobosslives

welcome back ;)

1)yes zte kernel released and running on most 2.3 roms.

2)yes that works on some roms (tho i doubt this is just to do with the .35 kernel)

3)ditto answer two

4)for a stable release try out blade mix 360. very solid rom with lots of features.

cm7 is now super stable. i recommend that if you were previously put off by stability issues.

Guest boonrider

Thanks for the prompt reply!

In terms of options for ROMs that are still being development, are the options basically:

- Blade Mix 360

- Moldovan Mile-High-Mountain-Pie

- CM7

Are there any others still worth considering?

Guest hugobosslives

In terms of options for ROMs that are still being development, are the options basically:

- Blade Mix 360

- CM7

for roms in development: yes you've pretty much hit the nail on the head.

there's those three and then lesser known ones such as gingerlibra. but not worth going there unless you like a specific feature that they've got.

it all depends on what you want. cm7 is so stable now that it is just what you want from your rom that should help you decide. cm7 for lots of features. BM 360 for flashy animations. etc. They are both same performance (or there abouts) and same rock solid stabilty.

Personally i'm flirting between the two as i'm a cyanogen man but am a little bored of cm7. so while waiting for cm9 (WOOOO!) i am checking out some other roms. and BM 360 is my favourite (apart from cm7).....

Guest dirlan2001

- Blade Mix 360

- CM7

Hi...

To counter-balance opinions :D : I did an upgrade from GSF b27 to Moldovan r6 and I'm pleasantly surprised by the performance. Although just 2 days running I now already can state that battery is even better as GSF, interface is snappy as hell. Going from 2.3.4 to 2.3.5 is a real 'new' experience...

Besides, also Burstlam did a new effort here

:D

Edited by dirlan2001

Guest boonrider

Hi Dirlan,

Cheers for the reply. Yeah i'm tempted by Moldovan R6 as the information the developer provides for Blade Mix 360 is not too flash and i'm not so bothered by all the customisation options.

Do you know if the notification LEDs work correctly? Have you noticed any bugs?

I'll have a look at Burstlam's new one too.

Guest dirlan2001

Hi Dirlan,

Cheers for the reply. Yeah i'm tempted by Moldovan R6 as the information the developer provides for Blade Mix 360 is not too flash and i'm not so bothered by all the customisation options.

Do you know if the notification LEDs work correctly? Have you noticed any bugs?

I'll have a look at Burstlam's new one too.

Hi,

AFAIK the leds are OK. That means I've not yet seen the leds giving any sign of malfunction. It's lightly greenish when connected to computer or loader, and it goes off when disconnected. I had one time a red when I received an SMS overnight. But that's all I've seen from it.....

Battery is surprisingly good, even slightly better then GSF. At the other hand, rebooting is a bit slow... dunno if that's got something to do with the OS or with the settings, but hey, how many times one reboots ? This phone is a tool, not a flashy toy for me. Whatever I had in mind (calling ppl, navigating Sygic, QR-scanning and downloading over WiFi, or even printing to my wireless Brother AIO, Market...) works a charm.

:D