Touchscreen not responding

Guest Madray

Hello all,

I've had a bit of a search around and can't really come up with a solution to my problem.

I recently bought a refurbished Advent Vega and (almost immediately) my boyfriend decided to play with the screen calibration while it was plugged in. This has led to the touchscreen not responding at all. I didn't have the chance to install or modify anything. No USB debugging, no VegaTools, no backup.

I've tried resetting to factory defaults and flashing with a modded stock rom but still no joy. There is no part of the screen that responds and I'm at my wits end.

If anyone could help I'd be extremely grateful.

Guest simonta

First off, new boyfriend ;)

Second, it seems that you are proficient with flashing ROMs. I would install Vegacomb as it has a driver which automatically calibrates during boot. Problem is that you need to get to clockworkmod (which is installed with modded stock) to do so. Without any screen response, the only way I can see to do this is via the ADB shell. Check this guide:

http://android.modaco.com/topic/343153-how-tos-fix-a-non-responsive-touchscreen-wrongly-calibrated-touchscreen/"]http://android.modaco.com/topic/343153-how-tos-fix-a-non-responsive-touchscreen-wrongly-calibrated-touchscreen/

Good luck

Guest richardmlea

I think the stock rom calibrates the screen whenever you press the back button. I maybe wrong though.

As its a refub maybe its faulty.

Return it to the stock rom and contact the seller to see if he can swap it for you.

Guest richardmlea

I just checked the vega source code thread as that where i read about the back button calibrating the touchscreen.

Post no.609 by egtagle "The original .32 kernel triggered a recalibration everytime you pressed the "back" button... But it seems overkill to me..."

So pressing the back button should calibrate the screen, if not its goosed, sorry. :angry:

The boyfriend has brought offerings of ice cream so he can stay... for now.

Thanks for the replies. I tried to get into clockworkmod through ADB shell but the mouse didn't work... so I'm either getting that step wrong or my mouse isn't compatible.

The back button didn't work so maybe the thing is goosed. Just a bit coincidental that it happened straight after playing with the screen calibration.

Guest richardmlea

The boyfriend has brought offerings of ice cream so he can stay... for now.

Thanks for the replies. I tried to get into clockworkmod through ADB shell but the mouse didn't work... so I'm either getting that step wrong or my mouse isn't compatible.

The back button didn't work so maybe the thing is goosed. Just a bit coincidental that it happened straight after playing with the screen calibration.

The vega needs to be in usb host mode for the mouse to work.

Turn off the vega by holding the power button for 8 seconds to make sure its off, then breifly press the power button while holding down the back button, hold the back button until the vega fully is booted. you are now in host mode and the mouse should work.

The vega needs to be in usb host mode for the mouse to work.

Turn off the vega by holding the power button for 8 seconds to make sure its off, then breifly press the power button while holding down the back button, hold the back button until the vega fully is booted. you are now in host mode and the mouse should work.

Ah ha. Must have missed that step. Cheers. I'll give it a go now and see where it gets me.

EDIT: Hmm. That didn't seem to work either. It just went into recovery mode.

Edited by Madray

Guest richardmlea

Ah ha. Must have missed that step. Cheers. I'll give it a go now and see where it gets me.

EDIT: Hmm. That didn't seem to work either. It just went into recovery mode.

You must be doing it wrong. If you press the power button for 2 second it will put it into recovery, pressing it for under 2 second and then continuing to hold the back button until boot up should enable host mode. Give it another try :)

Well I've tried a fair few times to get into USB host mode with no success at all. I've even tried reinstalling VegaComb to get into host mode.

I've had a look at remotely accessing the Vega which works well through the modded stock but in order to access the menu I have to go through the setup wizard which turns off USB Debugging and disconnects me.

Is there any way of doing a screen calibration through a console instead? I'm pretty much at the point of giving up, resetting the tablet and sending it back but it doesn't look like I'll be able to buy another one any time soon so really want to get this one back up and running.

Guest Herkatus

Well I've tried a fair few times to get into USB host mode with no success at all. I've even tried reinstalling VegaComb to get into host mode.

I've had a look at remotely accessing the Vega which works well through the modded stock but in order to access the menu I have to go through the setup wizard which turns off USB Debugging and disconnects me.

Is there any way of doing a screen calibration through a console instead? I'm pretty much at the point of giving up, resetting the tablet and sending it back but it doesn't look like I'll be able to buy another one any time soon so really want to get this one back up and running.

I'm pretty much like you.......