Next phone? What would DJSteve/Fards do?

Guest xO Gideon Ox

Guest xO Gideon Ox

From what i've read there's quite a few phones/mini tabs coming out in the next 6 months which could be good replacements for the Dell Streak....

But....you can never tell how long these companys are going to offer support/updates for if at all (seen some just sit on the release version and thats it)

So with the new toys coming out over the next 6 months ish if Fards/DJSteve were going to retire the streak where would they put their money as your support and updates have been one of the main things thats kept my Streak going all this time :D

Guest WakeRider89

im pretty sure Steve has made it apparent in other posts that he is going with the nexus prime because google supports it 100%. the note will have samsungs support, which hasnt always been great but at least its better than dell... samsung hasnt released some source codes to work with, and honestly if some of the stuff hadnt of leaked out of dell i think we would still be in the dark on a lot of stuff for the streak

Guest xO Gideon Ox

Nexus prime seems to also being released by samsung, didn't realise that...Samsung Nexus its showing up as from what i can see....hmmmm decisions decisions...well in past experience devices with google support have a good life in them :D

Think it's due out this month in the UK, will have to think about that now!

Guest WakeRider89

Nexus prime seems to also being released by samsung, didn't realise that...Samsung Nexus its showing up as from what i can see....hmmmm decisions decisions...well in past experience devices with google support have a good life in them :D

Think it's due out this month in the UK, will have to think about that now!

yes indeed it is a samsung, and yes def agree google devices are much more highly supported. i wish at&t would stop being so closed minded and pick one up already!!!

yes I no longer have my streak (sold it yesterday)

and I have a galaxy note, there's quite a few streak users have them as well..

damn near perfect device..

o/s isn't fantastic, too much oem adaptations, but obv that will be changed! :D

I toyed between nexus and note for the very reasons discussed, but the note *appears* to have vastly better hardware, so I decided that it would be better option for me, and frankly I like getting ports running..

then of course is the stylus, missed that since I left winmo scene, and it works! in fact I'd say it's beautiful in its execution and the stupendous battery life.. even on samsungs dodgy build I'm getting just under 2 days battery .

However wakerider89, you are so dramatically wrong about there being no source from samsung...

not only did they release source *before* the device was available, but they also include source for device tree for userspace(android) side of things.. I was very impressed when I found that.

the source for the current kernel was out same day as the build, along with a chinese HK version that only appeared this week, when you download it they even ask why you want it, with the option "improve whats there " :D

have a search for N7000 on there https://opensource.samsung.com/

for the note there's already some other big dev names involved, chainfire has one, and we have a professional kernel dev who has already ported the last kernel to newer 2.35, I reckon we should get a 3.01 running soon, ready for ICS builds..

Edited by fards

Guest WakeRider89

Well I am impressed with that kind of support from samsung! Glad to see that since thats gonna be my next device. I had heard from steve and a couple other small devs that samsung in other old releases was bad about that.

That's excellent news though!!!

Guest austreaker

Mind you I am not that rich as i paid AUD$750 to ship it to Australia which is the cheapest from Handtec.

However, after playing around with the Galaxy Note, I am willing to paid $1000 for it as a perceived value. It is that good

Guest xO Gideon Ox

Hmmm decisions decisions

Both phones are released on contracts in within the next few weeks and both look like freebies with my normal tarriff....so its a straight choice between what i want....it's a toughy!!!

Can see pro's and cons on both....if the note have ICS then i'd be all over that....do we know if ICS is officially coming for the note or would it only be down to fards and co as to whether we see it on the note?

Guest austreaker

Since Fards have join the Galaxy Note, I hope to see the Galaxy Tab Email ported over to Galaxy Note. I missed that email that is split in two.

Are there any other emails that does the same thing as the Galaxy Tab Email????

Anyway, I believed we should start creating a Galaxy Note device and start blogging. We don't want to hijack the Dell Streak 5.

Guest synaptic.flaws

well I still have some time before I am due an upgrade. But I will NEVER get another dell!, I love my Streak, but the way dell has treated it and the people who purchased it, is pathetic! They came up with an ideal form factor.. a perfect blend of tab and phone, and they utterly abandoned it.

no matter how bad samsung's support is, it is not possible to be worse than dell's ! and they have better displays.

to be completely honest, dj_steve and fards have provided more and better support for the streak than dell has!