Galaxy Nexus launch day, how did it go?

Guest Karucifer

Guest Karucifer

We've seen a lot of announcements for various retailers and directly from Samsung assuring us that stock would be available for the Galaxy Nexus launch today. They even went to the extent of tweeting the first person in the world to buy one, just to reassure us that the phone had indeed launched.

Our own experiences have been a little different, with MoDaCo staffers all over the country visiting the likes of Phones 4U and O2 to attempt to acquire a phone and being told that they've not received stock.

Some retailers are obviously delayed, if you were looking to purchase from Three for example, you won't be seeing hardware until next week.

So we figured it was worth running a quick poll to see how our community got on hunting the fabled Ice Cream Sandwich.

Let us know your experience by voting here, if you've more to add just leave a comment :lol:

Link: Poll

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Guest T39andcounting

According to TheVerge, the Nexus was ONLY available at the Oxford Street London store on launch day http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/17/2568251/galaxy-nexus-uk-release-date-launch, and the first person to buy one was given a dud! http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/17/2568349/first-galaxy-nexus-sold-has-a-test-rom-on-it-gets-promptly-exchanged/in/2271167

Guest MonkeyBoy451

My Local O2 store didn't have any, and said they would probably be tomorrow or over the weekend.

I couldnt wait that long, so ordered one on upgrade via O2 this morning and its delivered tomorrow!

Guest mamoulian

I maintain that bricks-and-mortar stores are a terrible way to 'launch' something that is in short supply and only interested in by clued-up geeks.

Same happened with the Asus Transformer: abysmal.

Let the first stock go to the people who want it that much they made preorders. Then let the marketing build so that by the time mainstream is interested there are plenty on store shelves.

Some reports were that Phones4U would only be selling it on-contract, so that's no good for me even if my local store did have them. Although apparently the vast majority of the Oxford St ones went on PAYG.

I'd order now from O2 or 3 PAYG but I don't want it to be locked.

As it is I'm hoping for the small online retailler I used to get some in next week, but who knows, I hear Phones4U are claiming an exclusive 'multi-network' period, whatever that means.

Guest Andi Desire

horrible launch, no press coverage at all. look at how much media attention the iPhone gets compared to the Nexus (series), the Nexus One only got publicity because it was googles first phone. IMHO needs more attention drawn to it by mass media in the UK

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.