Is the Vega still a good buy at £200?

Guest PaulJB

Hi, I have been eyeing up the Vega for a while, is this still worth getting? This is the sort of cash I'm happy to spend at the moment. I have also looked at the Archos G9 but it has a couple of issues that have put me off.

Any recommendations? I am looking for web browsing, social stuff like twitter and facebook, video etc. Happy to root and flash if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Guest IanTurner

If that's all you're doing sure.

I assume you don't need built in 3g.

Note some video formats would require conversion as as far as I know mkv isn't currently supported amongst others (though apparently that's a container rather than an encoding standard).

No need to root unless you insist on keeping the stock rom.

Guest IanTurner

That POV MOBII is not as cheap as claimed in that link (price doesn't include VAT) doesn't actually indicated whether they have any in stock and I'm dubious about that shop.

Guest Get_Carter

Just purchased one yesterday from PC World (Against better judgement). Eclipse have them for £180 but couldn't be bothered waiting.

Not really that impressed, more with tablets generally than the actual Vega. Installed honeycomb 3.2, so much better than stock software.

It will never replace by laptop, just a means to an end for reading books etc on holiday, bit of browsing and gaming. Battery life and size main pros.

Personally I believe they are overpiced for what they offer (even at £180). All said and done the support and behind the scenes development done by this site and others is great and steered my choice 100%

Edited by Get_Carter

I chanced my arm and bought one of these. Came next day and its been fine, enjoyed using it so far. Going to either put Clockwork Mod or Vegacomb on it when I have the chance, obviously this is a gamble hoping the hardware is all identical.

Paul

That POV MOBII is not as cheap as claimed in that link (price doesn't include VAT) doesn't actually indicated whether they have any in stock and I'm dubious about that shop.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Get_Carter

Just purchased one yesterday from PC World (Against better judgement). Eclipse have them for £180 but couldn't be bothered waiting.

Not really that impressed, more with tablets generally than the actual Vega. Installed honeycomb 3.2, so much better than stock software.

It will never replace by laptop, just a means to an end for reading books etc on holiday, bit of browsing and gaming. Battery life and size main pros.

Personally I believe they are overpiced for what they offer (even at £180). All said and done the support and behind the scenes development done by this site and others is great and steered my choice 100%

Actually changed my mind after having a couple of weeks. I think its the dogs bollocks. Awesome gadget.