Possible Faulty Vega?

Guest rockduderyan

Guest rockduderyan

Hello all,

I brought a Refurb Advent vega from currys/dixons/pcworld on ebay about a month ago. It is Running Vegacomb 3.2 build 9n update 3

I have found after say 45-60min the on the right hand side on the back would heat up alot, where you'd place your right hand to hold it (if holding with two hands). Shown in the picture below(Red=heat).

vegabackheat.jpg

This I have found impacts on the touchscreen calibration and renders the right half of the tablet unusable. Any touch pressed on right hand side of the screen shown by the red rectangle in the picture below results in it registering a touch on the far left hand side. The left hand side of the screen is fully usable.

vegafrontt.jpg

I am assuming this is a sign it is a faulty vega, most likely the battery at fault and that I should be request a refund on ebay.

Your thoughts would be appreciated :)

Ps: The pictures are not of my vega just for illustration purposes.

Regards,

Ryan

Guest richardmlea

Hi Ryan, have you mentioned this before on another forum? The reason I ask is I seen this proble and ones similar to it before. When its happening have you tried squeezing the left side of the vega with your thumb(near where your thumb is in your picture, not on the touchscreen though). When it happens on mine this relieves the problem (while its being squeezed).

Guest simonta

Refurbs do not come with Vegacomb installed so I assume that you installed this yourself.

This is not the battery (the battery is on the other side) and is almost certainly because Vegacomb overclocks the CPU which is not a good idea on a device with no active cooling and very little room for heat to disperse. My bet would be an overheating CPU and, if it's hot enough to cause problems with the screen, you are close to causing damage. It's likely that the bonding between the digitiser and the screen is failing, which is why squeezing the screen may relieve the symptoms as Richard states.

Install Setcpu and set the clock speed back to the default of 1Ghz, or maybe even 800Mhz, and see if the problem resolves.

Some Vegas may survive overclocking, some may not and it's pot luck which ones will. If you're into this kind of thing, in my opinion the only safe way to approach overclocking on the Vega is to also undervolt by the same proportion so that the overall power consumption (and therefore heat output) of the CPU remains the same but undervolting is also pot luck in terms of stability.

Guest rockduderyan

Install Setcpu and set the clock speed back to the default of 1Ghz, or maybe even 800Mhz, and see if the problem resolves.

Some Vegas may survive overclocking, some may not and it's pot luck which ones will. If you're into this kind of thing, in my opinion the only safe way to approach overclocking on the Vega is to also undervolt by the same proportion so that the overall power consumption (and therefore heat output) of the CPU remains the same but undervolting is also pot luck in terms of stability.

I thought Vegacomb didn't overclock the cpu and actually caps it to 1Ghz.

Installed SetCPU and it says the max speed is 1GHz ...

Guest simonta

Hmmm. Well, the area you indicated is where the main board is, not the battery, so something is overheating is you feel it getting anything more than lukewarm.

When you're in SetCPU, what happens when you leave the Vega alone for a while. Does it go back down below 1GHz? It should idle back to the lower speed after a few seconds without use.

Guest richardmlea

Vegacomb itself is not overclocked but some of the later updates are. All versions of Vegacomb make full use of the hardware acceleration features of the Tegra 2 chipset, so although the clock speed of the processor is unchanged whole the chipset is running better/properly so more heat. Underclocking to 800 MHz will reduce heat and the Vega should still be very usable. If you have a glitchy screen then maybe this is worth a try if you have no warranty (like me :lol: ).

Maybe someone with a Xoom or a Transformer can compare it to that for heat, how does the Vega’s heat compare to other Tegra 2 tablets running android 3.2.?

I am looking for a broken Vega for spares, hopefully when I get one it will have a cracked but functional touch screen. If I can get one, I can dissect it and find out how it’s bonded together. I was thinking if we carefully heat up a glitchy Vega (not to much, just above running temperature) and then apply even pressure to the touch screen while it cools down. This could bond the screen back together and fix the problem, but there is a chance it could do nothing or maybe even make it worse. It’s just a idea and I am totally guessing but its all I can think of.

Edited by richardmlea

Guest rockduderyan

CPU runs at around 200MHz when idle then boosts up to 800MHz then to 1000MHz when start opening applications etc.

Hmmm I read on another forum about HoneyIce which are updates for 3.2 9n and in its change log for the latest version, it claims to have fixed a '-Fixed a heating problem with POV Mobii and Advent Vega' problem.

Think it's worth a shot of installing it and to see if the issue still arises?

Ps: I do believe I was given a 3 month warranty with the purchase I'll have to check the paperwork that came with it.