Power and Vol+ key combination not working

Guest DECEiFER

Guest DECEiFER

Hi folks,

I've had a Blade (OSF) since January this year, however my housemate just picked one up this week and I'm trying to get it into shape by rooting it and installing a custom ROM. However, I cannot get the Power and Vol+ key combination to work, it just boots as normal, no matter how many times I've tried it. They Vol+ key is not broken, it works just fine for turning the volume up when the phone is booted.

The phone is a GEN1 running Orange's 2.1 Update 1 version of Android. I've managed to do a permanent root of the phone using kalt_kaffe's z4root (I originally tried rooting with UniversalAndroot, and while saying it was successful, failed because Recovery Manager crashed before getting root permissions from su) and flashed Clockwork on it using Recovery Manager 0.37b. I can also boot into Clockwork using the Power and Vol- key combination since doing so fine. However, I'd like to convert the phone to GEN2 to enable it to run CM7.1 and without the Power and Vol+ key combination working, it's not likely to happen. I'm really stumped. My Blade did this from day one without issue...

Any ideas, anyone? I'd be really grateful for any help.

Guest DECEiFER

Try Volume up, menu and Power.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion. No luck I'm afraid, it's still booting as normal. It's a very strange problem. I've never had trouble with my own Blade. Would there be any other possible combinations? I'm assuming that this Blade is virtually identical to my own since they both are GEN1 Orange models (though I converted mine to GEN2 months ago).

Guest DECEiFER

Try taking the battery out for 10 seconds, put it back in then do it. My Blade will only do it from "cold" - ie a first boot after battery insertion.

Hi RedNick,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have been taking out the battery the whole time, but I just tried it for an extended period beyond 10 seconds and still no luck. Stumped...

Edited by DECEiFER

Guest DECEiFER

You have put the TPT image folder on the root of your SD card, right?

Absolutely, and it's there. I initially tried to use the Fastboot method to get Clockwork on it before putting the image folder on the SD card to convert it to GEN2 and that didn't work out either. Nothing I've tried has even varied one bit, it just boots into the system as normal.

Guest Chris Banks

Absolutely, and it's there. I initially tried to use the Fastboot method to get Clockwork on it before putting the image folder on the SD card to convert it to GEN2 and that didn't work out either. Nothing I've tried has even varied one bit, it just boots into the system as normal.

Sorry, just had to check lol.

Do you have another SD card you could use?

Some SD cards just don't work I believe. The one which comes with it usually do work however.

Guest DECEiFER

Sorry, just had to check lol.

Do you have another SD card you could use?

Some SD cards just don't work I believe. The one which comes with it usually do work however.

I'll give mine a go. The one that came with mine is visibly branded Verbatim, but the one in my housemate's has no visible branding. I'll post back in a few moments. Thanks for the help so far!

Guest DECEiFER

Holy shitballs... Sorry for the triple post. I just put the original SD card back and did the Menu, Vol+, and Power combination and like lightning the green terminal text showed up and it converted it to GEN2. I have no idea what I did differently, in-fact, I did nothing differently except maybe leave the battery out for a minute while I got my own phone going again with my SD card

Thanks for all of your help. I'm not sure what did it, where it be the menu key or the longer wait before re-inserting the battery.

Edited by DECEiFER

Guest Chris Banks

Holy shitballs... Sorry for the triple post. I just put the original SD card back and did the Menu, Vol+, and Power combination and like lightning the green terminal text showed up and it converted it to GEN2. I have no idea what I did differently, in-fact, I did nothing differently except maybe leave the battery out for a minute while I got my own phone going again with my SD card.

Ha, at least its done then!

Remember to delete the image folder off your SD cards now so you dont accidentally do it again at some point.

Happy Flashing!

Guest DECEiFER

Ha, at least its done then!

Remember to delete the image folder off your SD cards now so you dont accidentally do it again at some point.

Happy Flashing!

Already done a full format! Thanks, Chris and RedNick, for the help again. If I ever need to go into that mode, I'll at least know what to try to get it working, knowing full well that it at least can work. :)

Guest unrandomsam

It should never be just power + vol + for TPT (Only reason it ever was was due to the hungarian gen1 files which were all we had for a while).

Fixed in wbaw's latest TPT afaik (get it from XDA). Better to keep fastboot and tpt on different key combo's