[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete]

Guest Bouncer5

Guest drummer

"no device found" means fastboot drivers are not installed. With the phone in fastboot mode and connected by usb cable Windows should install the drivers automatically. If this doesn't happen then download and install the drivers from the first post.

If you need to install them manually for some reason:

1. Open up device manager and right click on the device with an exclamation symbol

2. Select Update Driver

3. When asked to search press NO and browse to the folder where you extracted the files. Select next and driver will be installed.

4. Repeat step 3 for the other HSUSB device with exclamation.

5. Reboot into bootloader, rinse and repeat.

Thanks but I may need more detailed help as I've checked device manager and no devices show with an exclamation mark.

What's weird is that the hack sequence goes fine, including installing CWM and the custom ROM/kernel (note I don't reboot between wiping data/dalvik cache and rom/kernel as I would lose CWM) but after a reboot CWM just seems to disappear and I'm back to FTW

Edited by drummer

Guest BrideOfTheAtom

Hello,

Great guide but I have a question. Where are these files downloaded to? the sd card or the pc?

Thanks,

Markski

All the files should be downloaded to your pc. The only ones you need to put on the phones SD card are the relevant kernel file (sanfran2kernel.zip or vivacitykernel.zip depending on which phone you have) and Crescent.zip. Everything else you should unzip and install as the guide tells you.

Make sure to follow the guide precisely and don't skip any part of it. If you get stuck on a certain part you are better to post a message on here asking for help rather than going ahead to ensure you don't end up with a bricked phone. Also be aware that the install won't necessarily go entirely according to plan, I followed the guide to the letter and I still had issues with having to upgrade clockworkmod recovery via fastboot as the version installed as part of the unlock process didn't include support for the buttons on my phone due to hardware differences. The more you stay true to the guide though the more chance you will have for anyone to help you out.

Good luck :)

Edited by BrideOfTheAtom

Guest Markski

All the files should be downloaded to your pc. The only ones you need to put on the phones SD card are the relevant kernel file (sanfran2kernel.zip or vivacitykernel.zip depending on which phone you have) and Crescent.zip. Everything else you should unzip and install as the guide tells you.

Make sure to follow the guide precisely and don't skip any part of it. If you get stuck on a certain part you are better to post a message on here asking for help rather than going ahead to ensure you don't end up with a bricked phone. Also be aware that the install won't necessarily go entirely according to plan, I followed the guide to the letter and I still had issues with having to upgrade clockworkmod recovery via fastboot as the version installed as part of the unlock process didn't include support for the buttons on my phone due to hardware differences. The more you stay true to the guide though the more chance you will have for anyone to help you out.

Good luck :)

Thanks for that. Have installed roms before on a blade but seem to have got stuck at:

Once that is added close Configuration and open "Software Download" from the start menu<li>Click "Backup" on the utility and choose where to save the "QCN" File

It says could not connect? Have checked under my computer but the drive for the phone is not showing?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks,

markski

Guest Markski

Thanks for that. Have installed roms before on a blade but seem to have got stuck at:

Once that is added close Configuration and open "Software Download" from the start menu<li>Click "Backup" on the utility and choose where to save the "QCN" File

It says could not connect? Have checked under my computer but the drive for the phone is not showing?

Thanks,

markski

When I switch phone on I gat a dark screen with CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.5 at top with options in brown underneath, reboot,apply sd card,wipe cache part,install zip,backup,mounts & advanced.

Any ideas chaps?

Thanks,

markski

Guest BrideOfTheAtom

Thanks,

markski

I'm no expert on this only having done it a week ago on my own phone but for this stage you have to open the correct port with the QPST Configuration tool. The Software Download application uses this opened port to download the QCN file. Without this file you are going to have to jump through some additional hoops to get your Wifi to work once you flash your rom. You shouldn't run the unlock tool until you are sure you have the QCN file saved somewhere on your hard drive and that it is not 0kb in size (mine was around 300kb in size I think). Once you have done the unlock procedure you re-upload this file to the phone to reconfigure your wifi or something to that effect.

Guest Markski

I'm no expert on this only having done it a week ago on my own phone but for this stage you have to open the correct port with the QPST Configuration tool. The Software Download application uses this opened port to download the QCN file. Without this file you are going to have to jump through some additional hoops to get your Wifi to work once you flash your rom. You shouldn't run the unlock tool until you are sure you have the QCN file saved somewhere on your hard drive and that it is not 0kb in size (mine was around 300kb in size I think). Once you have done the unlock procedure you re-upload this file to the phone to reconfigure your wifi or something to that effect.

I do not think the pc is recognising the phone which is why I can't complete & save theQCN file. In "QPST Configuration" Click on "Ports" and then the "Add Port" button, it created port 6 but now shows not connected.

Guest seefman

Thanks but I may need more detailed help as I've checked device manager and no devices show with an exclamation mark.

What's weird is that the hack sequence goes fine, including installing CWM and the custom ROM/kernel (note I don't reboot between wiping data/dalvik cache and rom/kernel as I would lose CWM) but after a reboot CWM just seems to disappear and I'm back to FTW

Same exact thing's happening here. CWM is there when loading the custom rom/kernel. After installation.... THEN CWM vanishes. Cannot re-install CWM via the ADB method either. WTF??

Guest Markski

When I switch phone on I gat a dark screen with CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.5 at top with options in brown underneath, reboot,apply sd card,wipe cache part,install zip,backup,mounts & advanced.

Any ideas chaps?

Thanks,

markski

Hi All,

If I press power/vol down it boots into FTM, so I have got to ""Click "Backup" on the utility and choose where to save the "QCN" File"" . I have not gone to unlock.zip as I have not been able to save the "QCN" file. When I try different usb ports pc says sucessfully downloaded but drive not shown on my computer.

In QPST config phone is id (see error1) but when I close & open Software download Coild not connect to the Mark-pc Atlas server.HR=0x800702e4

Can I revert back to stock rom or any advice to finish procedure?

Many thanks for yr help in advance, markski

post-801897-0-45608600-1323772105_thumb.

post-801897-0-22429100-1323792273_thumb.

post-801897-0-87878500-1323792797_thumb.

Edited by Markski

Guest confusedperson

HELP WANTED PLEASE KINDLY REPLY

I ONLY want to UNLOCK my phone is that the same as DEBRANDING?

DO I NEED TO ROOT MY PHONE BEFORE HAND FOR UNLOCKING?

can someone shortern it out for me with providing the links ONLY ofr UNLOCKING so i dont get any mistakes PLEASE?

Have unlocked and debranded both our SF2's, however would not mind getting the "orange signal booster" back, if that will work on other networks, assuming it was any good in the first place?...........

Guest Markski

Hi All,

If I press power/vol down it boots into FTM, so I have got to ""Click "Backup" on the utility and choose where to save the "QCN" File"" . I have not gone to unlock.zip as I have not been able to save the "QCN" file. When I try different usb ports pc says sucessfully downloaded but drive not shown on my computer.

In QPST config phone is id (see error1) but when I close & open Software download Coild not connect to the Mark-pc Atlas server.HR=0x800702e4

Can I revert back to stock rom or any advice to finish procedure?

Many thanks for yr help in advance, markski

Hi All,

If I cannot save the "QCN" File can I carry on & Unzip Unlock.zip folder and run "download.exe"?

I reached this point yesterday but did not want to contine to unlock.zip.

Any thoughts anyone?? markski

Guest BrideOfTheAtom

Hi All,

If I cannot save the "QCN" File can I carry on & Unzip Unlock.zip folder and run "download.exe"?

I reached this point yesterday but did not want to contine to unlock.zip.

Any thoughts anyone?? markski

Do not carry on without getting the QCN file. Without it you cannot restore many of the settings of your phone that are removed during the unlock procedure such as Wifi.

Have you made sure you put your phone into FTM mode before trying to do this step. It should say FTM on the screen in big letters.

EDIT -

Ah had a look at your previous port. Can you make sure you have clicked the Port tab in the QPST configuration tool. Then click "add port" and make sure you explicitly open the port to the phone. Then try the download tool again.

Edited by BrideOfTheAtom

Guest Markski

Do not carry on without getting the QCN file. Without it you cannot restore many of the settings of your phone that are removed during the unlock procedure such as Wifi.

Have you made sure you put your phone into FTM mode before trying to do this step. It should say FTM on the screen in big letters.

EDIT -

Ah had a look at your previous port. Can you make sure you have clicked the Port tab in the QPST configuration tool. Then click "add port" and make sure you explicitly open the port to the phone. Then try the download tool again.

Yep, battery out, vol down + power, get to FTM screen.Open Port tab in the QPST configuration tool, added port (see added port.jpg).Closed it,opened software download. phone is not recegnised (see software download.jpg). How can the phone be recognised in QPST configuration tool but not in Software download which is needed to save QCN file?

post-801897-0-20050200-1323817987_thumb.

post-801897-0-57688700-1323817995_thumb.

Guest Markski

Markski - I would assume that your PC USB system has bugged out and you need to re-set up your port. Delete the one there and detect again.

Thanks would I do that thru control panel,system?

Guest BrideOfTheAtom

COM10 seems quite high (mine was COM4). Is that a USB port on an external hub or something? Maybe try a USB port on your PC's case if that is so. Could be talking rubbish though...

Edited by BrideOfTheAtom

Guest Markski

Is http://android.modac...ost__p__1854849 any help?

Also, are you running Win7 x64? Various people ahve said QPST does not work under Win7 x64.

Running win 7 32 bit. I have uninstalled/reset usb hosts,rebooted with only mouse keyboard attached.Strange thing is phone is recognises every usb port on pc "ZTE Handset Diagnostic Interface successfull installed".its when I close this & open "software download" pc does not recognise phone in any usb port?

post-801897-0-69690400-1323859053_thumb.

Edited by Markski

Guest texarkana

Have you tried leaving the QPST Configuration application running in the background whist using the Software Download application? (As suggested by buzz53).

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Been following this thread with interest. I've got me an Orange San Fran 2 for Christmas and i am going to have a go at unlocking it. Are these all the files I need? Also a query on what to do with some of them.

Driver Setup.zip (4.29 MB) Install on PC?

Do the rest go on phone?

recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img (3.87 MB)

QPST_2.7_366.rar

Unlock_OSF2.zip (18.05 MB)ADB.zip (1.42 MB)

Crescent.zip (94.6 MB)

sanfran2kernel.zip (3.45 MB)

Thanks. :rolleyes:

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Been following this thread with interest. I've got me an Orange San Fran 2 for Christmas and i am going to have a go at unlocking it. Are these all the files I need? Also a query on what to do with some of them.

Driver Setup.zip (4.29 MB) Install on PC?

Do the rest go on phone?

recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img (3.87 MB)

QPST_2.7_366.rar

Unlock_OSF2.zip (18.05 MB)ADB.zip (1.42 MB)

Crescent.zip (94.6 MB)

sanfran2kernel.zip (3.45 MB)

Thanks. :rolleyes:

PC (Unpack each to it's own folder and/or install) :

Driver Setup.zip

Unlock_OSF2.zip

QPST_2.7_366.rar

ADB.zip

Phone (Copy to SD Card) :

recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img (You do know that ClockworkMod Recovery 5.0.2.7 is available now too?)

Crescent.zip

sanfran2kernel.zip

You have to flash the Crescent (or another custom rom) first and then without restarting flash the default SFII kernel, then restart. If you don't do it like that then you will have a skewed keyboard and the wireless won't work.

Also, the first thing you should do is backup your phone's settings using the QPST "software download" backup section, then if you lose your wireless settings you can restore them.

As for what to do with them, the steps for each are explained in their posts, read slowly through them and make sure you understand what you're gonna be doing before you actually do it but most importantly backup your settings using the QPST or you're gonna lose your wireless, I also took a note of the mac address for the wireless and stuck it in a txt file on my desktop just for safety.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa