Partitioning my Acer Liquid Metal but keeping Gingerbread default?

Guest Liquid_Metal_UK

Guest Liquid_Metal_UK

Hi All,

Got my Liquid metal last weekend which was my first Android/Smart phone so I am a complete newbie when it comes to "Rooting" and "Partitioning" etc and it's all a bit scary for me but I need to attempt it as the "Low on space" messages are driving me mad already.

I have seen the stickied thread at the top there but am a bit unsure about it.

Basically I have ordered an 8GB Micro SD and I would like to partition it if possible so that lots of it can count as Internal Memory, but after partitioning I would just like to keep default Gingerbread that I am using now as apart from the low space messages I have been really pleased with it.

Is this possible? - Are there any instructions on just doing the partition part and would it invalidate my warranty with Acer if I attempted it?

i.e Is number 11 from stickied thread optional or can you keep default Gingerbread?

11.) Download your custom ROM e.g. http://android.modac...final-tl-metal/ and copy and paste onto the SDCard

Edited by Liquid_Metal_UK

Guest 1000timesgoodbye

To use the partition, you need to root it first, which void the warrenty anyway. Keep a copy of the original Acer ROM in your SD Card to be safe. I suggest installing Gingerouney or TL Metal Acer version because they come preinstall with either Link2SD or Darktremour A2SD.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mr-brunes

Thanks, will take the plunge once my 8GB Micro arrives.

Hi - I've got the exactly same original question as you. Did you make any progress on this?

I'm afraid that I find all the various how-to instructions too confusing for a newbie to Android/smartphones (but I've been in IT for 20 years!), since they contain too much jargon and don't actually describe why you might want to carry out the various processes or what the end result is! There don't seem to be any primers on this.

Also I'm nervous of bricking the phone and not being able to restore it to a factory out-of-the box config. Strangely none of the threads seem to cover this rather critical process.

Guest scotth324

You can keep the stock Gingerbread Ron and root it. There are a few threads on rooting. Once rooted with Superuser you can go into your recovery and partition your sd card. You can then download Link2sd from Market and then use that to move stuff to the external ext2 partition. Then you have a stock rom and endless space.

Guest Smeelious

Hi - I've got the exactly same original question as you. Did you make any progress on this?

I'm afraid that I find all the various how-to instructions too confusing for a newbie to Android/smartphones (but I've been in IT for 20 years!), since they contain too much jargon and don't actually describe why you might want to carry out the various processes or what the end result is! There don't seem to be any primers on this.

Also I'm nervous of bricking the phone and not being able to restore it to a factory out-of-the box config. Strangely none of the threads seem to cover this rather critical process.

It's actually fairly hard to brick the Liquid MT. Following the directions in k0zmic's thread shouldn't steer you wrong. Restoring it to factory defaults is as simple flashing the rom found on Acer's website for your country. Just goto the Acer support site and download the lastest bin file from there.

Guest sjaakiespeelman

I think i didn;t made an ext partition.. can i see that somewhere?

I just installed gingeroonay, and use Titanium Backup to move the apps to sd. or is that the wrong way :P

You can keep the stock Gingerbread Ron and root it. There are a few threads on rooting. Once rooted with Superuser you can go into your recovery and partition your sd card. You can then download Link2sd from Market and then use that to move stuff to the external ext2 partition. Then you have a stock rom and endless space.