The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly...

Guest Mebster

Guest Mebster

All of a sudden this message keeps poping up. Offers a Force Close option but just brings up the same message again right away.

I thought maybe rooting it and installing a custom rom may help but don't know what generation the phone is. Apparently you can install an app which tells you but my phone is unusable.

Anyone have any ideas of how to correct this problem?

Appreciate any help

Guest dirlan2001

All of a sudden this message keeps poping up. Offers a Force Close option but just brings up the same message again right away.

I thought maybe rooting it and installing a custom rom may help but don't know what generation the phone is. Apparently you can install an app which tells you but my phone is unusable.

Anyone have any ideas of how to correct this problem?

Appreciate any help

Did you install some app from 'somewhere' ? Did you test your SIM in another phone ? Did you change any settings concerning the radio's ? What ROM you're on ? Did you flash your phone recently ? ....

:D

Guest hugobosslives

presumably at the moment you don't have root? (if you do ty fixing permissions first)

if not, then your probably right in what you were thinking. flash clockwork, and then a factory reset or a new rom would almost definitely solve it. you could always just flash the stock rom again. if you don't want to try custom roms

Edited by hugobosslives

Guest Mebster

I've done nothing to the phone except unlocking it to work on my Three sim. I wasn't doing anything today either. Just switch phone on and it gave me the error.

I/m very new to rooting/flashing but I've read a few pinned topics on this subforum and you seem to need to know what generation the phone is. I've got no clue. Seems installing an application will tell you but there seems to be no way to do this with my current problem. Is it possible to find this out any other way (using IMEI or S/N)?

Guest hugobosslives

I've done nothing to the phone except unlocking it to work on my Three sim. I wasn't doing anything today either. Just switch phone on and it gave me the error.

I/m very new to rooting/flashing but I've read a few pinned topics on this subforum and you seem to need to know what generation the phone is. I've got no clue. Seems installing an application will tell you but there seems to be no way to do this with my current problem. Is it possible to find this out any other way (using IMEI or S/N)?

is it an orange sanfranciso bought directly from a uk orange shop?

if so then it is 99% gen1.

easiest way to see would probably be by flashing clockwork.

if you flash a gen1 clockwork (3.0.1.4 and before) it will only boot into clockwork recovery (vol- and power) if it us gen1. vice versa for gen2 clockwork.

Guest Mebster
easiest way to see would probably be by flashing clockwork.

if you flash a gen1 clockwork (3.0.1.4 and before) it will only boot into clockwork recovery (vol- and power) if it us gen1. vice versa for gen2 clockwork.

Yes it is from an Orange shop. I didnt understand that last sentence. Switching it on holding the vol - show a FTM logo. Any idea what that means?

Can I just ask what the difference between gen1 and gen2 will be. I ask because I've seen a guide converting gen1 phones to gen2 and thinking of giving that a go at the same time if there is an advantage :My linkhttp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1258855 (btw, I don't understand that guide fully either lol)

Thanks for all your help btw.

Guest PedroVader

Gen2 is a repartioned, and far better memory layout, either gen1 or 2 will be fine, but most gen1 rom's end at 2.2 froyo, if you wanted to use CM7, or the eventual Ice Cream Sandwich rom's, you'll need gen2.

Finally got round to reflashing the wife's San Fran last night, used the upgrade CM7 you've seen on XDA, easy to do, stable, great battery life too ;-)

Edited by PedroVader

Guest Mebster

Thanks guys, used that link I posted earlier and updated to cm7. However I am noticing some issues, one being flicking across the applications screen (where it displays all you applications) is very slow. Oddly when flicking between normal desktop screens, it's super-fast even with app shortcuts everywhere. I thought I'd try this apparent STABLE version CyanogenMod-7 for ZTE Blade/San Francisco :: V7.1.0-RC1 I don't know if it's actually any better but I need to try something.

But I don't understand instructions 3,4 and 5.

1. Format the system, data & cache partitions of your device (how do you do this?)
  2. Perform a factory reset. (same with this)
  3. Flash CyanogenMod. (do I hold down power + menu + minus volume to do this like before?)
Thanks guys for all your help so far. It's got me out of a phone I couldn't use. Just want to iron it out a little now. Edited by Mebster

Guest dirlan2001

Thanks guys, used that link I posted earlier and updated to cm7. However I am noticing some issues, one being flicking across the applications screen (where it displays all you applications) is very slow. Oddly when flicking between normal desktop screens, it's super-fast even with app shortcuts everywhere. I thought I'd try this apparent STABLE version CyanogenMod-7 for ZTE Blade/San Francisco :: V7.1.0-RC1 I don't know if it's actually any better but I need to try something.

But I don't understand instructions 3,4 and 5.

1. Format the system, data & cache partitions of your device (how do you do this?)
  2. Perform a factory reset. (same with this)
  3. Flash CyanogenMod. (do I hold down power + menu + minus volume to do this like before?)
Thanks guys for all your help so far. It's got me out of a phone I couldn't use. Just want to iron it out a little now.

Hmmm.... since then there has been a stable release here

1. :)

2. :)

3. In CWM there's an option to format your system-card... it'll propose to make some extra partitions (needed) on the SDcard (e.g. ext3 = 512 mb ; swap = 32 mb...) !!!!! it'll destroy any data on your card, so backup and backup and backup

4. Also in CWM and is ment to clear out any data that could (?) interfere with the flashing proces, includes also wiping caches

5. Reboot again in CWM and choose 'install zip from SD-card (assuming you did put the CM7.1.0-file on the SD-card AFTER you formatted/factory-reset/wiped)

For the speed issue : maybe look for another launcher or a less intrusive setting ... or try some other ROM LOL

:D

Edited by dirlan2001

• 4 weeks later...