Terminal touchscreen problems - about to give up

Guest Graham Macleod

Guest Graham Macleod

I'm one of those people who likes to fix things, but doesn't do it very well. You know the type.

My Vega cracked its screen when on holiday in the USA. I managed to find a replacement screen and fitted it successfully, but it wasn't the same (much better in many ways), just slightly bigger, heavier and thicker. It fitted, but only after some of the structural insides were discarded.

Since then the touch screen has been getting worse and worse. Its just been a gentle deterioration. It would usually work OK if the vega was placed flat on the floor. If it was tilted, or finger pressure applied to the edges, it would register phantom presses - double presses or nothing at all. Calibration often helped, but not for long.

A particular point of stress seemed to be the cable connector where the touch screen ribbon meets the motherboard. This frequently required pushing and pulling to get the screen to register.

I've tried all sorts of cures, building it up, knocking it down, putting spacers between screen and touchpanel, tape. Nothing improves matters. I have an dock station so I can use the tablet with a mouse. Even this stopped working properly - until I disconnected the touch screen connector entirely, suggesting that the touch panel is flooding the machine with noise.

Any ideas? It's been a great little tablet, and even after a year, there's nothing really in the market at its price/value point. I'll hold out for the Transformer prime I guess, but any ideas as to how it could be fixed - things to try. I'm happy to try any wild ideas, but I'm pretty sure it's not a software problem.

Thanks for you time.

Graham

Guest richardmlea

Hi Graham , I am working on a DIY fix for this problem at the moment. I have a smashed but functional Touchscreen to experiment with and I will post details in the next couple of days. I am working on a few things at the moment but I will do a full how to as soon as I have time.

Take is easy,

Richard

Guest richardmlea

My touchscreen is now 100% perfect. :D

I am writing a how to and recording a video now, will post it in a few hours.

Until then take it easy, were all good. B)