Vega videos will not play?

Guest JamieLee90

Guest JamieLee90

Hi just got hold of my vega and tried to copy some videos across from my samsung galaxy s2 smartphone. I transferred them to my PC first then tried copying to the vega.

However 3 of the 4 videos the Vega cannot seem to play? they are in 3GP format. I believe the Vega does not support this format?, are there any free converters out there that can convert 3gp to mp4 so i can play them on my vega?

thanks

Guest JamieLee90

Just tried that and it does not work. I have one video which i took from my phone which was originally an MP4 and that works on my tablet. The other videos i recorded on my phone which were 3GP, i transfer them to my PC and they are classed as MPEG-4 i try to transfer these over to my vega and the same thing happens it does not work.

I have downloaed a few video converters off the android market some of the videos decode but don't work properly sound out of sync etc

Guest JamieLee90

I am running vegacomb 3.2

Kernel version: 2.6.36.3vegacomb-release-by-teamnewco-rebel@linux-36c8 #7

Build number: VC 3.2 build 9n update3

If that helps?

i have no idea what any of the above means by the way :P

Guest IanTurner

Doesn't play mkv files.

In handbrake you have to makesure you select mp4 as the container , under video tab select h.264 and under audio AAC. Relying on default settings to generate what is effectively a container which may then contain unsupported video and audio is a bad idea,

Guest JamieLee90

Doesn't play mkv files.

In handbrake you have to makesure you select mp4 as the container , under video tab select h.264 and under audio AAC. Relying on default settings to generate what is effectively a container which may then contain unsupported video and audio is a bad idea,

I will try this and let you know how i get on, thanks.

Guest JamieLee90

I think i have figured out the problem. The samsung galaxy s2 records in HD, it record video in an mp4 container using a 3gp codec.

This is why i am having problems getting my videos to play. The handbrake software must recognise the video is already in mp4 format thats why it does not work. I have found software that decodes the 3GP codec so its just mp4 format but i don't want to pay for it. Anyone got any ideas?

Guest IanTurner

Er handbrake permits you to change the container, video and audio encoding, resolution and frame rate of the video so it will do what you want. Unless you specify what you want the end result to be you're not going to get the result you want. If you want something that will do everything for you forget it.

3GP is merely a container format, mp4 covers both conatiner and compression technologies hence why 3gp is described as being similar to Mpeg-4 part 14 (container) and potentially containing Mpeg-4 part 2 (video compression).

Edited by IanTurner