[REQ] Creating a lite ROM - HOW?

Guest Psychonaut

Guest Psychonaut

First of all, hello everybody. Altough I've got my OSF a few months ago, I'm fairly new to MoDaCo. I'm a complete noob in ROM developing or customizing, so please bear with me.

One last thing before I begin: yes, I DID read the pinned threads of this Forum, and I didn't find anything helpful. If there IS a topic for questions like this, please point me to it in the comments, and I'll tell a mod to lock this one.

Alright, about the topic: I'd like to ask for your help building an absolutely simple and lite ROM based on the malaysian Gingerbread.

WHY?

Altough I really like the Cyanogenmod ROM, it drains the battery insanely. It lasts for like 14 hours with an average everyday use. And that's just not enough. On the other hand, the malaysian Gingerbread lasts for more than a day, sometimes even for two days. And having it installed on my phone right now, I find that I can live without the extras of Cyanogenmod.

WHAT?

Here is a list of the modifications I'd like to implement to the new ROM:

-deodex

-root

-cache to RAM

-CRT on/off animation

-change default wallpaper

-delete some applications, like Latitude or Maps and some other things

-a new installer with new partition layout (128/2/310 preferred, I think the ROM would fit to that just fine), TPT installer preferred but not necessary

POSSIBLY, but not necessarily:

-Roboto font

-CM notification widget if possible

-Clock in the middle of the lockscreen

-maybe some other things, any suggestions?

Sooo....I don't have the SLIGHTEST idea about how or where to start these things, so if you could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for every response!

Psychonaut

PS: I'm using Windows 7 x64.

PS2: there might be some grammatical or syntactical errors in the post, as english is not my native language.

Guest timfimjim

by searching (there's a search box on the right hand side of the website) in this forum you can find out how to add in the CRT off animation (by adding in a different framework). Most of the malasian ROMs are already rooted, so it might be an idea to use an existing ROM as a base - such as MMHMP or BladeGinger Negaraku. But be sure to ask for permission and give credit where it's due!

If you do decide to use an existing ROM as a base for your own experimenting, it's very easy to add in or delete some apps. By opening up the .zip file and navigating to the folder with all the apps in (/system/app) you can simply copy in or delete whatever you like.

I wish you the best of luck in creating your ROM!

Guest jackal-sk

Which malaysian Gingerbread rom are you talking about pls ? Is it a stock rom ? If not I'd give it a go.

In the CyanogenMod thread everyone is like, the battery life is sooo good, what are you talking about dude get a life and on the other hand we still see people clearly confirming other roms can last double the time lol.

Edited by jackal-sk

it's very easy to add in or delete some apps. By opening up the .zip file and navigating to the folder with all the apps in (/system/app) you can simply copy in or delete whatever you like.

I've tried that before , but it gave me some errors and fc's on boot.

Seems to me that you only can delete non-system apps.

I think if there is some kind of link in a system file to that particular app the rom will not work correct if you delete it.

But I could be wrong ,and deleted to much on my tryout ;-)

Good luck , and if it works I hope you'll upload it. :)

Guest Psychonaut

Let me say a big thank you for all of your help, I'll try to comment on all of them.

you can find out how to add in the CRT off animation (by adding in a different framework). Most of the malasian ROMs are already rooted, so it might be an idea to use an existing ROM as a base - such as MMHMP or BladeGinger Negaraku. But be sure to ask for permission and give credit where it's due!

If you do decide to use an existing ROM as a base for your own experimenting, it's very easy to add in or delete some apps. By opening up the .zip file and navigating to the folder with all the apps in (/system/app) you can simply copy in or delete whatever you like.

Firstly, thanks for your help. I think there MUST be another option to add the CRT on/off apart from changing the whole framework. They implemented it somehow, and somebody found out how to do it without copying and pasting the framework, so I'd rather use some other way to do it.

Secondly, I don't want to use anyone's ROM as a base, as they implemented things I don't need AT ALL, and I consider removing them would be harder than adding the things I want to the stock malaysian ROM.

I'm aware of the fact that I can delete the apks this way, but I'm not sure whether it's the only place where System-app related files are found throughout the ROM. I'd like it to be clean, and remove every single piece of file related to a system app I don't need.

Which malaysian Gingerbread rom are you talking about pls ? Is it a stock rom ? If not I'd give it a go.

In the CyanogenMod thread everyone is like, the battery life is sooo good, what are you talking about dude get a life and on the other hand we still see people clearly confirming other roms can last double the time lol.

It IS the stock ROM. It's a bit laggy sometimes, but I can tolerate it. It's not as smooth as a CM7, but definetly beats the stock Froyos.

dsixda's android kitchen is great!

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Hi,

U might wanna check this page as well - http://android.modac...to-build-a-rom/ as it has some relevant explanations.

Also going to check it out, cheers for the suggestion.

I've tried that before , but it gave me some errors and fc's on boot.

Seems to me that you only can delete non-system apps.

I think if there is some kind of link in a system file to that particular app the rom will not work correct if you delete it.

Good luck , and if it works I hope you'll upload it.

Depends on what you consider as a "system app", the ones that are vital for the Android system (such as Settings.apk), or the ones added to the ROM by T-Mobile or ZTE or etc. I'm pretty sure you can delete the latter ones, as for the former ones, you should leave them in peace.

Yes, I'm planning on uploading it, if I get the support and knowledge here to create it. If it's going to work anytime, I'll definetly post it.

Any more suggestions are welcome.

Guest fedezubo

you can edit the colors/bars/and all the stuff-you-like modding, changing colours, shapes etc. in framework-res apk (as you can see in fish n' chips ROM, the dev has modified the lockscreen)

Guest Psychonaut

you can edit the colors/bars/and all the stuff-you-like modding, changing colours, shapes etc. in framework-res apk (as you can see in fish n' chips ROM, the dev has modified the lockscreen)

Thanks also, will check it on the weekend.

Guest n4y4nrules

Do people LIKE like the modified lockscreen? :)

Guest n4y4nrules

I'M LOVIN' IT laugh.gif

Glad you like it :)

Just to let you know: Fish'N'Chips RLS2 is being released soon...

It is still being finalised at the moment and should be out in the very near future. Our own modified notification power widget is included... :)

If you have any comments, requests or suggestions regarding Fish'N'Chips feel free to voice them HERE and either myself or raverrr will get back to you As Soon As Possible. :D

Edited by n4y4nrules

Guest fallenangel32

First of all, hello everybody. Altough I've got my OSF a few months ago, I'm fairly new to MoDaCo. I'm a complete noob in ROM developing or customizing, so please bear with me.

One last thing before I begin: yes, I DID read the pinned threads of this Forum, and I didn't find anything helpful. If there IS a topic for questions like this, please point me to it in the comments, and I'll tell a mod to lock this one.

Alright, about the topic: I'd like to ask for your help building an absolutely simple and lite ROM based on the malaysian Gingerbread.

WHY?

Altough I really like the Cyanogenmod ROM, it drains the battery insanely. It lasts for like 14 hours with an average everyday use. And that's just not enough. On the other hand, the malaysian Gingerbread lasts for more than a day, sometimes even for two days. And having it installed on my phone right now, I find that I can live without the extras of Cyanogenmod.

WHAT?

Here is a list of the modifications I'd like to implement to the new ROM:

-deodex

-root

-cache to RAM

-CRT on/off animation

-change default wallpaper

-delete some applications, like Latitude or Maps and some other things

-a new installer with new partition layout (128/2/310 preferred, I think the ROM would fit to that just fine), TPT installer preferred but not necessary

POSSIBLY, but not necessarily:

-Roboto font

-CM notification widget if possible

-Clock in the middle of the lockscreen

-maybe some other things, any suggestions?

Sooo....I don't have the SLIGHTEST idea about how or where to start these things, so if you could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for every response!

Psychonaut

PS: I'm using Windows 7 x64.

PS2: there might be some grammatical or syntactical errors in the post, as english is not my native language.

ok here we go...

1.use this file http://www.multiupload.com/2FIDUJ5SY7

extarct the files in c: (the files inside the extracted folder,not the folder)

now put in c: the framework-res.apk of your rom you use

open a shell and type c.. and again c.. and then apktool d framework-res.apk frame1

and the framework-res will extracted and decompressed in folder frame1

dont close the shell window

in the frame1 folder and under the C:\frame1\res\values you ll see a file called "bools"

open the file and search for the line "<bool name="config_unplugTurnsOnScreen">true</bool>

just chane the true with false and CRT OFF ANIMATION IS ON

2.under C:\frame1\res\drawable-hdpi change the default_wallpaper.png with any png wallpaper you like

(but renamed as default_wallpaper) and the WALLPAPER CHANGED

3.delete the framework-res.apk from the c:

now whrite in the shell the command apktool b frame1 framework-res.apk

and there it is your new framework-res.apk file...sing in ang use it

3-deodex

-root

-cache to RAM

USE THE KITCHEN

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=633246

4.want to delete some apps?

unzip the rom and delete the apps you dont like

then zip again and flash the rom

Guest fedezubo

ok here we go...

open a shell and type c.. and again c.. and then apktool d framework-res.apk frame1

in the frame1 folder and under the C:\frame1\res\values you ll see a file called "bools"

open the file and search for the line "<bool name="config_unplugTurnsOnScreen">true</bool>

2.under C:\frame1\res\drawable-hdpi change the default_wallpaper.png with any png wallpaper you like

3-deodex

-root

-cache to RAM

USE THE KITCHEN

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=633246

best way to start developing (Y) laugh.gif

Guest Psychonaut

ok here we go...

3-deodex

-root

-cache to RAM

USE THE KITCHEN

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=633246

All right sir, thanks for your answer. Sooo, let me see, let me see...are you sure that there are ABSOLUTELY no parts of system apps (apart from the apks obviously) anywhere else in the system?

Apart from that, you basically answered all the questions, there are only a few left.

What is missing yet:

-creating a new installer for the ROM - with 128/2/310 partition sizes (if cache partition could be entirely deleted, that's just great, but I don't think it's possible)

-adding a new font (Roboto) for system and digital clock on lockscreen also.

I think that would be all...

Guest fedezubo

-adding a new font (Roboto) for system and digital clock on lockscreen also.

replace the font folder in system with the folder font from ICS and your're good to go smile.gif

if you want to change only the system font (and not the WHOLE font in you rom) pick the roboto font from ICS and rename it droidsans.ttf and droidsans-bold.ttf

for the clock exchange clocktopia.ttf

Edited by fedezubo

Guest Psychonaut

replace the font folder in system with the folder font from ICS and your're good to go smile.gif

if you want to change only the system font (and not the WHOLE font in you rom) pick the roboto font from ICS and rename it droidsans.ttf and droidsans-bold.ttf

Cheers mate! :)

Guest JudasLucifer

Also if you use the Clock application, there is a ttt font file in there somewhere you ned to replace to change the font of the clock in the clock application (I think its in res/assets) It would require knowledge on decompiling apk's though (I could do it for you if you want). Only if you care about that though :P

Guest Psychonaut

Also if you use the Clock application, there is a ttt font file in there somewhere you ned to replace to change the font of the clock in the clock application (I think its in res/assets) It would require knowledge on decompiling apk's though (I could do it for you if you want). Only if you care about that though :P

If I'll have any time in the near future to take a closer look at this ROM-cooking, I'll definetly send you a message.

Guest fedezubo

by the way, if you wanna start playin' around with themes and UI modification, i suggest you install 7-zip, because you don't need to decompile and recompile APKs resign and blablabla, just drag n drop the stuff you wanna modify (or delete the thing you don't like, or, also, add other apps)