Insufficient space on device?

Guest vikings123

Guest TechnoLover

my link2sd is in german so I don't know the exact english names, but this is how it goes: menue -> options -> automatic link of apps, check it and then the app links every installed app automatically ;)

Guest stonebear

I have never used "link2sd" before...I can't see how to move apps to ext2 partition, I just have an option to move to SD card and when I click it, it says it will be moved using native apps2sd method.

So instead of move, I select "link"? That moves them to the ext2?

How does that provide more space than app2sd does?

Because it moves other stuff like dalvik and lib?

Edited by stonebear

Guest sjaakiespeelman

whats the use of a ext2 partition.

i don't have it, put my apps to sd with titanium..

tried to move dalvik but i need ext2 .. is it better, or can i deal with just moving apps to sd..

can i copy my sd to pc,

then make an ext,

and put it back?

root the device

install and partition an external sd card with a ext2 partition of say around 1.5gig

install link2sd

use link2sd to move ALL your user apps over to the ext2 partition

use link2sd to link dalvik-cache and lib files for all your user apps over to ext2 partition

install titanium backup pro

use titanium backup pro to move all the dalvik-cache files for your system apps back into /sys/ partition.

nett result on my device 175+ apps installed and around 70mg free space on internal.

you can also look at using titanium backup to move your move commonly user apps into the spare space on the /sys/ partition

Westa

Guest stonebear

whats the use of a ext2 partition.

I had about 40mb free using apps2sd (or titanium), I have 120mb free using link2sd. Link2sd needs ext2.

Also it means you can put things like widgets on the ext2 and they won't break like if you put them on SD in normal way.

can i copy my sd to pc,

then make an ext,

and put it back?

Yes.

Edited by stonebear

Guest stonebear

you can also look at using titanium backup to move your move commonly user apps into the spare space on the /sys/ partition

I can't see that option?

I have the latest Titanium Pro.

Guest basem1970

I am using link2sd and according to storage information i have used 116MB out of the 185MB internal storage eventhough the only thing i have on internal storage is link2sd...what is consuming 116MB of my internal storage?

Guest stonebear

I am using link2sd and according to storage information i have used 116MB out of the 185MB internal storage eventhough the only thing i have on internal storage is link2sd...what is consuming 116MB of my internal storage?

Link2SD doen't move absolutely everything, some kinda data isn't moved, I don't know what.

I assume you have a lot of apps installed?

Guest basem1970

yes..i ttry to put as many as possible on sd card. the ones which need to be on internal storage like beautiful widget i link them so I only have link2sd on internal storage!!!

Guest Smeelious

yes..i ttry to put as many as possible on sd card. the ones which need to be on internal storage like beautiful widget i link them so I only have link2sd on internal storage!!!

Try linking all the apps you have on SD. When they get put on the SD it is the default froyo method. Some apps have large portions that remain on internal storage when moved to the SD card. By linking the majority of the app will be on your ext. It should free up some space.

system apps

Guest basem1970

thank you guys..i have linked every thing and now i have 96Mb free internal storage..so from now on i should only save things like music and videos to sd card..all apps should be linked..is that true?

Guest stonebear

thank you guys..i have linked every thing and now i have 96Mb free internal storage..so from now on i should only save things like music and videos to sd card..all apps should be linked..is that true?

Yea, that will give the most free space on internal storage. Also, if you have Titanium pro you can select "integrate sys dalvik into Rom" (from the "more" options) and "integrate updates of system apps into rom" (a batch option), that gives quite a lot of extra space.

Guest billylows

Yea, that will give the most free space on internal storage. Also, if you have Titanium pro you can select "integrate sys dalvik into Rom" (from the "more" options) and "integrate updates of system apps into rom" (a batch option), that gives quite a lot of extra space.

My Dalvik cache is on SD-EXT

Im using gingerounay 3.0.4 ,Facebook stopped syncing so I moved it back to the internal memory so far I have experenced no other problems,It leaves me 105mb of internal storage

Is it okay to leave the dalvic cashe on SD ?

Guest stonebear

My Dalvik cache is on SD-EXT

Im using gingerounay 3.0.4 ,Facebook stopped syncing so I moved it back to the internal memory so far I have experenced no other problems,It leaves me 105mb of internal storage

Is it okay to leave the dalvic cashe on SD ?

Link2sd does link the dalvik of the apps that you link, if you choose that option. So I reckon, yea.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mr-brunes

Hi

Sorry for the newb question but I'm installing Link2SD after partitioning my 32GB SDcard with a 1GB partition using ClockworkMod Recovery v4, and Link2SD is asking me to "select the file system of your SD cards' second partition - ext2, ext3, ext4, FAT32/FAT16".

I've absolutely no idea what to put for this and searches don't leave me any the wiser.

Did the Recovery's Partition SDCard function create a filesystem as well as a partition? I can't see any type of filesystems listed under Settings or Manage Apps. Surely Link2SD should be able to detect the type of filesystem that is present?

Edited by mr-brunes

Guest mr-brunes

Eventually I found a solution to finding out what type of filesystem CWM Recovery had used when partitioning my SD card. I downloaded the free MiniTool Partition Wizard and this told me that it was Ext3.

Indeed next time I'll use MiniTool to do the partitioning, as per the detailed instructions in post 40 in this thread :

http://android.modac..._1#entry1874947

Edited by mr-brunes