ICS AOSP user discussion

Guest the_crevis

Guest the_crevis

Hi all, i just thought that a discussion thread for ICS for the blade should be started, just for questions and related stuff, that the devs on the development thread dont have time for, and shouldnt!

So let us average users ask ICS related questions here, and keep the dev thread clean! Therefore, they can keep up their excellent work unhindered! :)

here is a link to the devs work and place to download the updates. http://code.google.com/p/ics4blade/ Please remember it is t0mm13b and the dev teams' work, and they will release a version intended for general users when ready.

What does work (and what doesnt):

...with due respect to the devs. More accurate information may be found in post 3 of the dev-thread: http://android.modac...-for-zte-blade/

As of the 16th of Frebruary 2012 (update28): What's working: (Android 4.0.3)

• Touchscreen (Props to Tilal6991 for his solution) + multitouch now
  • WiFi
  • BlueTooth (Props to Ippe H)
  • Telephony and mobile internet (Props to Ippe H, Hecatae)
  • AutoRotation/Sensors (Props to Ippe H)
  • In call audio (Props to SkyWave)
  • Home key working
  • GPS (Props to SkyWave)
  • SDCard (Props to KonstaT)
  • Partial Hardware Acceleration
  • Stock Browser
  • Maps (Working for some)
  • Gallery
  • Youtube (very slow and laggy)
  • Audio
  • Headset
  • Bootanimation
  • Camera - Partially working - no preview
  • Gapps working for 210mb partitioners
  • Gapps on 160mb working for somehttp://db.tt/uR5ebNLm flash in clockworkmod recovery.

What's not working:
    • Sound streaming (not sure haven't tested this out, let me know)
    • USB Mass Storage

Notes:

• Red lines which sometimes appear around the edge of screen now gone.
      • After first boot is fully complete a further reboot of the device helps to increase speed.

DO A SEARCH BEFORE YOU ASK, PLEASE READ AT LEAST THE FIRST AND LAST PAGE OF THE THREADS THAT MAY RELATE TO YOUR PROBLEM/QUESTION.

Addons:

Superuser binary to be flashed in clockworkmod recovery to obtain root permissions: http://downloads.and...efgh-signed.ziplibsurfaceflinger for smooth animations: go get it! and flash in clockworkmod recovery. - props to tilal 6991
Edited by the_crevis

Guest the_crevis

FAQ:

Q: What system partition size do i need?

A: Although a 210mb/system TPT is advisable as the ICS gapps are large in size, through a stripped down version of GApps it is possible to get ICS, the market and google account/sync working well with a 160mb/system partition. For more help with TPT's see post #3

Q: Help, i got a "Random Offset" message when flashing ICS in clockwork, whats wrong?

A: If you get a message about random offset while flashing the update.zip, this is normal and can be ignored.

Q: Where can I download the latest ICS update?

A: On the dev teams' googlecode page here: http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

Q: When will ***** be fixed? When are we going to get a new release?

A: Please don't keep asking for things to be fixed, or for ETA's, the devs are doing this in their free time and for nothing, so don't pester and just appreciate the good work they are all doing! ;)

Edited by the_crevis

Just to mention, I will try to help here, too.

Nonetheless:

DO A SEARCH BEFORE YOU ASK!

USE YOUR BRAIN!

READ AT LEAST THE FIRST AND LAST PAGE OF THE THREADS THAT MAY RELATE TO YOUR PROBLEM/QUESTION!

and please do no fullquotes, they just make the thread longer without adding information that wasn't there before.

Only because this is not the dev thread there is no need to show the wold what a newb you are.

About the TPT:

First rule: Remember the way you have gone.

There are methods to change the layout only, which will not change which TPTs work and which not, and there are methods that will change both.

If you have bought a Gen1-device and have only used normal Gen1-to-Gen2-TPTs you can only use TPTs designed for Gen1, no matter to which partition-layout they bring you, back to Gen1 or from Gen2 to Gen2.

If you used the Windows-Flasher you have a native Gen2-device after the update. Those devices and devices bought with Gen2 can only use Gen2-TPTs.

Note that there are some TPTs that can change your native Gen (= which sets which TPTs you can use)

So: Remember the way you have gone.

Second rule: I've not yet heard of a device that was bricked because the wrong TPT (designed for another Gen) was tried. So if you're not sure what to use you can try without much risk.

Third rule: Only TPT with full batterie and after you checked the nandroid.md5. Delete the /image-directory on the sd-card as soon after the TPT as you can, to prevent accidental reflashing.

If you have a native Gen1-device (even if it uses a Gen2-partitionlayout now):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1258855

Note the text in the thread.

If yo have a native Gen2-device (or bought a Gen1 and converted it with the Windows-Flasher:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1310713

Note the text in the thread.

Maybe easier to try the TPT-Helper from the Market, he should do the most important parts for you, and warn you if you do something wrong. Use the TPT with to full batterie only, and check the md5-sums in the nandroid.md5 before flashing! Otherwise you may brick your device!

Logcat and dmesg

If you want to help and suffer from one off the big bugs (like at the moment the bootloop with SIM inserted), you can get helpfull information for the devs by doing this:

0.: Make sure you have wiped and not restored anything with Titanium Backup.

1.: Give general information about the bug. When does it happen, have you found a workaround, etc.

2.: Give general information about your phone. Which TPT did you use, what is your carrier, etc.

3.: Get a Logcat. Logcat is a development helper running on your phone that gives information about errors on the levels above the kernel.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Logcat

You can get it from the terminal on the phone, or via adb from your computer. If I find the link to the small adb-only-package I'll edit it into this post.

If you have it upload it as a file, or, easier, paste it to www.pastebin.com

4.: Get a dmesg. dmesg gives kernel information. Use "adb shell dmesg" to get it, or run dmesg in the terminal on the phone itself.

If you have it upload it as a file, or, easier, paste it to www.pastebin.com

Post your Logcat and dmesg to the dev thread, after you made sure that the problem wwasn't fixed in between. If you use a ROM some weeks old it may happen that things change ;)

Edited by FelixL

Guest the_crevis

I guess post 2 is reserved for the FAQ...

crevis, can you come to the IRC? Want to help you get this done.

Yeah post two is for FAQ :) ermm ive never used it :P so how? Otherwise resort to PM.

Edit: added some of what you said to 1st post

Edited by the_crevis

Guest JustasU

So now can some one answer me... How to upgrade phones TPT is i have native gen 2 euro phone. Shall i use Gen 1 to gen 2? or something else? Becouse now recomended system part. is 215mb or something like that... And i got only 160.

Edited by JustasU

Hi all, i just thought that a discussion thread for ICS for the blade should be started, just for questions and related stuff, that the devs on the development thread dont have time for, and shouldnt!

So let us average users ask ICS related questions here, and keep the dev thread clean! Therefore, they can keep up their excellent work unhindered! :)

Ben.

Very good idea!wink.gif

Edited by ayziaa

So now can some one answer me... How to upgrade phones TPT is i have native gen 2 euro phone. Shall i use Gen 1 to gen 2? or something else? Becouse now recomended system part. is 215mb or something like that... And i got only 160.

I'm using the first thing that tOmm13b tell us to use and it's working great on this update 15, also with the gapps. It's 210 mb system! I don't really know why 215mb is needed.

It's gen 1 to gen 2 tpt v8 stock, I used it with a gen2 phone, I don't know if I souldn't have but it worked for me.

You can find it on the zte blade section of xda forum.

Edited by ayziaa

Guest the_crevis

Well this may not anwser what you want exactly... but i have ICS running on a 160mb/system partition with edited gapps, meaning i have google accounts working. Although the market doesnt work for me atm. :/

Guest JustasU

I'm using the first thing that tOmm13b tell us to us and it's working great on this update 15, also with the gapps. It's 210 mb system! I don't really know why 215mb is needed.

Ur phone native gen 2? And where u get this 210mb system part.?

Edited by JustasU

Try to flash it on 160MB, it should be enough. If it doesn't boot even without SIM, do a Gen2-Gen2-TPT, I think there is only a 220MB-/system-version for native Gen2...

if someone has the right link to wbaws Gen2-Gen2-TPTs, please tell me.

Guest Davidoff59

justasu, please read post 3 of this thread posted by felixL, your question is already answered there along with the link you need. 1 to 1 help is not possible, hence the FAQ bit in the first few posts. if your phone was bought as a Gen 2, you need a Gen 2 partition.

Please learn a bit about android before doing anything though as I would hate for you to mess something up on your phone. If you just ask, then you wont learn much. Use one of the greatest learning resources there is, the internet at your fingertips. By gaining a better understanding of what the lingo is and what it does and how it works, you will not only be helping yourself but also helping others that may come along in the future asking for help.

let me give you an example, if during school in maths class, if every sum you were asked to do, you asked your friend what the answer was instead of working it out for yourself, then you would have learned nothing and would have no understanding whatsoever of maths.

Please don't take any offence to any of the above as none is intended in any way. I want you to learn about what you are doing so you understand it and the reasons for doing so. Understanding it is what makes you remember things. It is so much harder to learn without first understanding it.

Davidoff59:

Just to defend him (at least this time)

I've edited the post after he wrote his.

Otherwise, you are right ;)

If anybody want's something in there, please tell me. will do "How to get a dmesg and a logcat" now.

Edited by FelixL

Guest John Enter

This wil probably be a stupid question, but I've been looking in the dev thread over and over again, and can't seem to find a download link for update15. Do you have to compile yourself to have the updates?

Guest Davidoff59

forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-1172838.html

good post about blade with a lot of details for those who may be interested. This thread could become a great resource, a one stop shop for blade owners.

Guest the_crevis

This wil probably be a stupid question, but I've been looking in the dev thread over and over again, and can't seem to find a download link for update15. Do you have to compile yourself to have the updates?

Updates are not really for general users atm, so dont expect them to be in a helpful list in the first post of the dev thread. Heres the link to update15: http://ics4blade.googlecode.com/files/update15.zip

can someone answer to me please :). well i am running cm7 2.3.7 .

i had gen 1 then i TPT it with gen1 to gen2. so my question is: should i use again TPT gen1 to gen2 or gen2 to gen2???

or should i go back to gen1 and then again gen2 with 210mb layout partition???

thx

Guest Davidoff59

I was Gen 1 but tpt to Gen 2 ages ago and yesterday, I used wbaw v10 to change the layout from 160mb to 215mb with no issue so I didn't tpt back to Gen 1 first.

Guest FlatPackPete

can someone answer to me please :). well i am running cm7 2.3.7 .

i had gen 1 then i TPT it with gen1 to gen2. so my question is: should i use again TPT gen1 to gen2 or gen2 to gen2???

or should i go back to gen1 and then again gen2 with 210mb layout partition???

thx

My phone is the same as yours (already Gen 1 to Gen 2) and I used the Gen 1 to Gen 2 TPT and it worked fine.

My phone is the same as yours (already Gen 1 to Gen 2) and I used the Gen 1 to Gen 2 TPT and it worked fine.

ok thank you guys :)

i knew it but i wanted to be sure :)

thx again