Insufficent Space - help please

Guest jayneuk

Guest jayneuk

Hi guys, managed to do the Vegacomb rom last night - very proud of myself lol. It's all running fine, but I have two queries -

One is that it's a bit slow - slower than my laptop - I thought it would be as fast as that, or faster - or was I expecting too much?

Secondly, I can't download apps - it says I don't have the space, but I do. I've tried the thing where you go into apps and click on 'uninstall update' on the market app, but that's made no difference. I've noticed I have two market apps - one is a verson 1, and the other is a version 3 - is that my problem do you think? Does anyone know how I can fix this because at the moment I can't download any apps :-(

Thank you all so much for your help.

Guest IanTurner

Sounds like there's a problem in there that honeyice won't fix as it shouldn't be complaining about space unless you're downloading very large apps or making sweeping generalizations on the basis of trying to download a 30mb app.

What size are the apps it's complaining about ?

Get Honey Ice on there

http://tabletroms.co...om-development/

It moves the cache to the sd card.. And a whole load of other fixes..

The app installation cache is on the SD card as standard on VegaComb.

The issue you are having here is strange, you used ModdedStock v2 as your base before installing VC correct? Have you already installed a bunch of apps? Because you will only have about 170mb free for app storage unless you use link2sd and an ext partition on your SD card (which I would recommend), failing this I would do a full wipe and try installing again.

newbe5

Guest GedBlake

Hi guys, managed to do the Vegacomb rom last night - very proud of myself lol. It's all running fine, but I have two queries -

One is that it's a bit slow - slower than my laptop - I thought it would be as fast as that, or faster - or was I expecting too much?

Secondly, I can't download apps - it says I don't have the space, but I do. I've tried the thing where you go into apps and click on 'uninstall update' on the market app, but that's made no difference. I've noticed I have two market apps - one is a verson 1, and the other is a version 3 - is that my problem do you think? Does anyone know how I can fix this because at the moment I can't download any apps :-(

Thank you all so much for your help.

Guest GedBlake

Please ignore my last post... tried to post a response to janyneuk 's question by PASTING my reply from Catch Notes.

Sincere apologies... and because I can't figure a way to delete it, maybe one of the Mods. could.

GED.

Edited by GedBlake

Guest GedBlake

Apologies again, for my last post...

Something didn't quite go to plan using the STOCKBROWSER on VegaComb/HoneyIce Advent Vega...so here goes with Opera Mini.

-----------------

From the the HoneyIce thread...

Run this SCRIPT as Root (su) & Boot http://www.multiupload.com/RA80XE5EIO using ScriptManager ( https://market.android.com/details?id=os.tools.scriptmanager&hl=en )

Reboot your Vega, and the Market download cache will now be MOUNTED on your SD card instead of the internal NAND.

And the size of that cache will be equivalent to the available free space on your SD card.

Take a look at the HoneyIce thread for more details.

GED.

Guest jayneuk

Thank you so much for the replies. Sorry, I've been out all day.

I've just got home to find my son playing on it, and he's downloaded loads of apps! I said 'how did you do that?' and he said 'just got them from the market' lol so it seems to just be suddenly working! Not sure how that happened!

Right now I'm a bit confused. I used the VegaComb_HC3.2_Build9n rom, and then I also installed VegaComb_HC3.2_Build9n_update3 on top of that. So is that as far as I can go? Or do I now need to install HoneyIce?

Also should it be slower than my laptop or not? I mean when I'm browsing? Is there any way I can tweak it to run faster?

Apologies again, for my last post...

Something didn't quite go to plan using the STOCKBROWSER on VegaComb/HoneyIce Advent Vega...so here goes with Opera Mini.

-----------------

From the the HoneyIce thread...

Run this SCRIPT as Root (su) & Boot http://www.multiupload.com/RA80XE5EIO using ScriptManager ( https://market.andro...ptmanager&hl=en )

Reboot your Vega, and the Market download cache will now be MOUNTED on your SD card instead of the internal NAND.

And the size of that cache will be equivalent to the available free space on your SD card.

Take a look at the HoneyIce thread for more details.

GED.

If you are just running VegaComb b9 u3 then this is not required, VC does this by default without needing to run any scripts etc, im not sure why he's done this (but then a lot of the Honey Ice stuff is a little strange to me) but if you are running stock VC then it's not required.

jayneuk: VegaComb is currently at Build 9 Update 3, but there is an "After VegaComb Patchset" created by a guy called Areo (separate from the main VegaComb build and not part of the TeamNewCo team), it seems a little complicated to me, and some of the stuff isn't necessary (I think in the earlier builds he broke some stuff that already works in VC, and is now fixing them in the newer ones), but it has had some good feedback and he seems to be doing well. My only real criticism with it is that the install procedure seems to be unusually complicated and I'm not sure why :P But hey, I just use VC Build 9 Update 3 on my Vega with the HDMI patch and DPI set to 160 and I love it ;)

newbe5

Guest jayneuk

Thanks. Don't think I'll worry about that other guy's extra patch. I'll just stick with the 9n update 3. The script things for the cache though - should I do that? Will that make it run any faster? Will anything make it run any faster?

Guest jayneuk

Thanks. Don't think I'll worry about that other guy's extra patch. I'll just stick with the 9n update 3. The script things for the cache though - should I do that? Will that make it run any faster? Will anything make it run any faster?

Guest IanTurner

The script is only relevant if you hit the not enough memory error again on an app of significant size where it's identifiably due to the cache size being a problem. Your any app problem obviously wasn't a case of apps in excess of the cache size.

When you're talking about speed are you talking about booting up or browsing or something else ?

Thanks Ian. That makes sense. The speed things is when browsing. It's quite a bit slower than my laptop on the same connection.

Any site in particular? The tablet does render slower then a good speed laptop, but we're usually talking a second or so, not longer, is it taking a good few seconds to render a page? Or load it in the first place?

Guest jayneuk

No sites in particular; just all sites. Yes it takes a few seconds to load any page. It's sort of like my phone speed - a fair bit slower than my laptop. I thought tablets were meant to be laptop speed or quicker?

Guest GedBlake

Hi, Newbe5...

" The app installation cache is on the SD card as standard on VegaComb "

" If you are just running VegaComb b9 u3 then this is not required, VC does this by default...."

- Newbe5 -

Actually... it isn't... and it doesn't... (and I hate to take issue with one of the wizards who gave us of VegaComb...)

I have tested this, as follows...

On a MODDED STOCK V2 ADVENT VEGA, and after performing a FULL WIPE...

I FLASHED <VegaComb_HC3.2_Build9n.zip> and <VegaComb_HC3.2_Build9n_update3.zip> in the same CWM session.

Rebooted into VegaComb... no problem...

My numbers are as follows...

SD CARD...508MB FREE/3.7GB TOTAL

SYSTEM CACHE...30.82MB FREE/32MB TOTAL

After running Areos script ( market_symlink(sdcard).sh ) via ScriptManager as ROOT & BOOT, and rebooting the Vega, my numbers are now...

SD CARD...508MB FREE/3.7GB TOTAL

SYSTEM CACHE...508MB FREE/3.7GB TOTAL

The SYSTEM CACHE is now MOUNTED on my SD card, as the above numbers attest (SD CARD=SYSTEM CACHE)...

Of course, non of this will matter if you don't plan on downloading anything (from Android Market) larger than the 32Mb default system cache that VegaComb offers.

GED.

Guest IanTurner

Doesn't change the consideration that your suggested solution assumed they were trying to download 30mb+ apps and the original post just said apps, any apps at all :P

Guest GedBlake

Doesn't change the consideration that your suggested solution assumed they were trying to download 30mb+ apps and the original post just said apps, any apps at all :P

I make no assumptions about anything... I was just looking for a solution. And based on jayneuks initial post;

" Secondly, I can't download apps - it says I don't have the space, but I do. I've tried the thing where you go into apps and click on 'uninstall update' on the market app,but that's made no difference. I've noticed I have two market apps - one is a verson 1, and the other is a version 3 - is that my problem do you think? Does anyone know how I can fix this because at the moment I can't download any apps :-( "

...and nowhere in this post, is mentioned the attempted download of APKs from unofficial sources (which would require the setting of 'download from unofficial sources' in settings... and in any event, such downloads would be handled like any other download... pushed into the DOWNLOAD folder as APK files awaiting for the user to click on them, and PACKAGE INSTALLER to install them)

On this basis then, I concluded the problem MAY (possibly), lie with the SYSTEM CACHE..

But.... and having said all of that, it does seem unlikely that the INSUFFICIENT SPACE problem lies with jayneuks attempting to download 50mb games! (for example)

But by MOUNTING the DOWNLOAD CACHE on the SD CARD, instead of the internal NAND... we see what happens.

To put it in modern parlence - "It's worth a shot!"... and if nothing happens... then the problem clearly lies elsewhere.

GED.

Edited by GedBlake

Guest jayneuk

I make no assumptions about anything... I was just looking for a solution. And based on jayneuks initial post;

" Secondly, I can't download apps - it says I don't have the space, but I do. I've tried the thing where you go into apps and click on 'uninstall update' on the market app,but that's made no difference. I've noticed I have two market apps - one is a verson 1, and the other is a version 3 - is that my problem do you think? Does anyone know how I can fix this because at the moment I can't download any apps :-( "

...and nowhere in this post, is mentioned the attempted download of APKs from unofficial sources (which would require the setting of 'download from unofficial sources in settings... and in any event, such downloads would be handled like any other download... pushed into the DOWNLOAD folder as APK files awaiting for the user to click on them, and PACKAGE INSTALLER to install them)

On this basis then, I concluded the problem MAY (possibly), lie with the SYSTEM CACHE..

But.... and having said all of that, it does seem unlikely that the INSUFFICIENT SPACE problem lies with jayneuks attempting to download 50mb games! (for example)

But by MOUNTING the DOWNLOAD CACHE on the SD CARD, instead of the internal NAND... we see what happens.

To put it in modern parlence - "It's worth a shot!"... and if nothing happens... then the problem clearly lies elsewhere.

GED.

Feel like I've caused a bit of a thing :-( I'm just grateful to you all for trying to help.