[SCRIPT] AD2SDX modified by TechnoLover 1.3a (05.07.2012)

Guest TechnoLover

Guest andryandrew

Fantastic script TechnoLover, it works very good on t&l stock 2.3.6.

Nor ClockWorkMod Recovery neither AmonRA 2.2 manage to backup the sd-ext after applying the script; is that normal? I can use dd on my linux box, but it's strange that recoveries aren't aware of the partition (AmonRA prompt me an error and Clockwork simply say "no sd-ext found").

UPDATE: The problem probably was with my ext3 partition. Just using AmonRA's function "repair SD-ext" did the job (but i had to redo it on every recovery reboot). Not tried ClockWorkMod, but i don't remeber such a "repair" function on it.

Edited by andryandrew

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TechnoLover

It isn't kernel related if this script works with CyanogenMod/MiUi ;)

I haven't tested it on CyanogenMod/MiUi - if you want, you can give it a try ;)

but I don't suggest to use this script as I have many problems when restoring it from a backup =/

Guest NeBlackCat

What are the pros and cons with this vs link2sd?

It would be great if OPs on threads about cool tools (such as this) actually said a few words about what they do, and how they compare to similar tools, particularly for the benefit of noobs.

Guest Smeelious

What are the pros and cons with this vs link2sd?

It would be great if OPs on threads about cool tools (such as this) actually said a few words about what they do, and how they compare to similar tools, particularly for the benefit of noobs.

Pros:

Lets you see how much app storage you have from the default app menu. (ie lists 400M used out of 600M, instead of 100M used 97 free, with a 1G ext that it can't see)

Cons:

Tends to be slower for most people.

Guest NeBlackCat

Pros:

Lets you see how much app storage you have from the default app menu. (ie lists 400M used out of 600M, instead of 100M used 97 free, with a 1G ext that it can't see)

Cons:

Tends to be slower for most people.

Cheers mate. I take it there is no SD card you can get that's fast enough to reduce the lag to something not really noticeable?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Smeelious

Smeelious says that it works on CM7, so you should just give it a try ;)

I've actually stopped using Link2SD altogether, in favour of AD2SDX

post-939211-0-10027100-1329337467_thumb.

Edited by Smeelious

• 1 month later...
Guest Pinguy

This does work also with the Performance Rom, but you need to downgrade Busybox to 1.19 and install TechnoLover's Kernel Edition 1.3a

Instructions

• First I would get a high end Samsung Class 10 SD (or any high end Class 10 SD). You can find 16GB ones pretty cheaply online now.
  • Flash the Performance Rom
  • Then install TechnoLover's Kernel Edition 1.3a (Once AD2SDX is setup you can flash 1.4 back if you like, but I have found that 1.3a works better).
  • Boot into the rom and setup time and your Wifi
  • Next download Busybox Installer.zip , extract it and put it onto your SD card.
  • Open the file browser on the phone and find Busybox Installer.apk and install it.
  • Run the Busybox Installer and install Busybox version 1.19 (very important), do not install 1.19.4, anything higher then 1.19 does not work.
  • Now get GParted Live CD so you can format and partition your SD card. (lots of guides online on how to use it)
  • Setup a second partition at the end of your SD of 2GB (anything between 512MB to 2GB is fine) as ext4
  • Now reboot into recovery
  • Wipe the data partition (mounts and storage > format /data) then flash AD2SDX
  • Now reboot the phone and make sure the USB is not connected.
  • It does take about a minute to get past the kernel screen on the first boot. It's slow because its coping files to the sd-ext.
  • Thats it, it should now be working. On the second boot it loads a lot faster as it doesn't need to copy files across.

This is what you want to make your SD Card look like:

devsddgparted153.png

Once it is all setup run links2sd but click "Cancel" when it asks you to setup mounting scripts, and use it to remove links2sd. you will get an error saying its busy, thats fine. It has removed it you just need to reboot for it to take effect.

Edited by Pinguy

Guest RODNiC

ok guys.. need MASSIVE help!!

Mobile was working fine with Gingerbread.. and technolover latest kerner..

Tired to instal this 'ad2sdx'.. mobile won't boot and is stuck at the boot image (the one before the boot animation)

trying to go into recovery by Power + Volume Down + Camera results in a non stop vibration with a meassage: "Sdimage download procedure... Failed!"

Really no clue what went bad or how to fix this...

Any ideas??

Guest TechnoLover

* Update 1.2

• added e2fsck, check for ext-partition integrity (fix backup issues hopefully)
  • log added, script doesn't take any effect if no ext-partition is found

• fixed log, it could probably get too big.

Edited by TechnoLover

Guest Pinguy

Thanks TechnoLover for this script. Links2sd is fine and all but I love my apps and this wasn't enough help with storage. Using the script I have no problems. I am using 160mb of internal memory and 600mb in the ext-sd.

This script is a life saver. I have no problems now installing what I want.

Thank you :)

I am going to have a play with the script and see if it works having it pre-loaded into a ROM. If it does work (and ok by you) I will build the next rom with this built in.

It should just be a matter of downgrading the BusyBox and loading the script into the ROM I have now. But its never normally that easy so I will need to test that to see if it works :)

But as you have added e2fsck and a log to check for a ext partition I can't see why this wouldn't work pre-loaded into a ROM now.

EDIT#

No luck making a ROM with this working in it :(

I can never get it to mount the ext-sd. The log keeps saying there is no ext partition. Its one of them scripts where you need to boot into the phone once then apply the script. Them types of scripts or anything that needs you to boot the system once never work pre-built into a ROM.

Anyway the script "does" work great on a fresh install of the PerformanceRom once you have booted it at least once.

Edited by Pinguy

Guest Pinguy

I changed the script so it uses 128kb instead of 256kb. I was having problems where it was filling the internal memory. When the internal memory gets filled the phone starts crashing. I have changed it so anything over 128kb goes onto the SD and this has freed up some space and hasn't effect the speed of the phone.

So if anyone is having problems, setting it to 128kb doesn't slow the phone down.

Edited by Pinguy

Guest ElHive

This does work also with the Performance Rom, but you need to downgrade Busybox to 1.19 and install TechnoLover's Kernel Edition 1.3a

Instructions

• First I would get a high end Samsung Class 10 SD. You can find 16GB ones pretty cheaply online now.
  • Flash the Performance Rom
  • Then install TechnoLover's Kernel Edition 1.3a (Once AD2SDX is setup you can flash 1.4a back).
  • Boot into the rom and setup time and your Wifi
  • Next download Busybox Installer.zip , extract it and put it onto your SD card.
  • Open the file browser on the phone and find Busybox Installer.apk and install it.
  • Run the Busybox Installer and install Busybox version 1.19 (very important), do not install 1.19.4, anything higher then 1.19 does not work.
  • Now get GParted Live CD so you can format and partition your SD card. (lots of guides online on how to use it)
  • Setup a second partition at the end of your SD of 2GB as ext4
  • Now reboot into recovery
  • Wipe the data partition (mounts and storage > format /data) then flash AD2SDX
  • Now reboot the phone and make sure the USB is not contacted.
  • It does take about a minute to get past the kernel screen on the first boot. It's slow because its coping files to the sd-ext.
  • Thats it, it should now be working. On the second boot it loads a lot faster as it doesn't need to copy files across.

This is what you want to make your SD Card look like:

devsddgparted153.png

Once it is all setup run links2sd but click "Cancel" when it asks you to setup mounting scripts, and use it to remove links2sd. you will get an error saying its busy, thats fine. It has removed it you just need to reboot for it to take effect.

Works perfectly.

As for the SD-Card i have an 8GB Class 10 from Transcend. It sucks ass when it comes to random 4K writes (CrystalDiskMark benched something like 0.001 MB/s) but it works fine for me.

Guest diocagnara

Hi, i cant install busybox, the installer say: error to copy(with the version 1.19).... The mtcontrol app say: need busybox installed to work... Ok, i've tried to reboot the phone but if a try to enter in recovery (vol down, +power btn +camera focus) the phone start vibrate and i'v got a error (sd download error)... i cant enter in recovery.

My phone is brick?!?

Plz help :(

Guest sumdumguy

Try volume_up+power+focus

note 'focus' means half press of the camera button, not all the way down. It's a tricky combo, keep trying ;)