Thinking about a new phone, must be full QWERTY!

Guest Jimbolaia Jones

Guest Jimbolaia Jones

I have had a pretty big heap of phones since the start of the 2000s, and when Android came, I haven't even looked back at my previous choices, other than to laugh.

It all started with the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1, with a full hardware QWERTY. I fell in love, and write at the same speed as your average city hall secretary do on her computer. Writing on the screen is a no-go for me, compared to.

After the X1, I bought the HTC Magic. Worked fine, but that on-screen keyboard wasn't my cup of tea. So I bought the SE Xperia X10 Mini Pro, got problems with my charger plug, and I got a new one, but before that, I got my current Desire Z.

Now... since the then excellent 800MHz Snapdragon, ARM has gone a looong way. 4 core Tegra 3 coming up in 2012, not to mention the Tegra 4 (Wayne), giving four or eight cores with 10 times the performance of the Tegra 2, which is still better than the single core Snapdragon that I got.

However, it seems the market for hardware QWERTY is dying, there are fewer and fewer, and the only one delivering these nowadays that are useable, is Motorola with the Milestone series. These are not available in Norway, nor in rest of Europe it seems.

So what I am looking for is rumors. I would like rumors on new phones with QWERTY, with some more power and specs than my Desire Z. Everything is better today, one year after the release: CPU, RAM, GPU, HDD (space), camera, many got gyro as well.

I would love to hear some positive news. Motorold Droid/Milestone 4 available in Europe would be a good start! :D

Jim, Norway

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RichBayliss

I would love to hear some positive news. Motorold Droid/Milestone 4 available in Europe would be a good start! :D

Jim, Norway

Jim,

I have owned the Sony Xperia Pro - Android 2.3 based with a decent QWERTY keyboard. Sony have announced ICS for the device in 2012 and it comes with a FFC and very respectable 8mp rear camera (same as iPhone 4S I believe)

If you want a cheaper offering then I recommend it.

Rich

Guest Voxpop2011

The qwerty keyboard is a big advance in mobile phone use, especially the virtual ones. Yet, there is a glaring omission and that is a backspace key, as opposed to the x key. Going back through text to make a correction is very bothersome as you often end up with the cut/copy option. I think a backspace key could be added without sacrificing functionality.