Atomic, Elitemovil, Bluemonte & Stock vs. CM7

Guest Skate Away

Guest Skate Away

Hi,

I'm currently using CM7 - I haven't used the stock ROM.

I don't know whether I should try any of the other ROMs or whether I'd like them better or there would be an actual benefit.

Does Atomic do anything CM7 doesn't ?

Does Bluemonte do anything CM7 doesn't ?

Does Elitemovil do anything CM7 doesn't ?

Does stock Orange do anything CM7 doesn't ?

Does stock ZTE do anything CM7 doesn't ?

Opinions (please) from anyone who has tried both CM7 and another ROM smile.gif

Cheers.....

At the end of the day its all down to user prefrences,what I like you may not.

But my personal order of the roms is as so:

1) ATOMIC

2) CM7

3) CM9

4) ELITEMOVIL

5) BLUEMONTE

6) STOCK

Edited by Guest

Guest Skate Away

At the end of the day its all down to user prefrences,what I like you may not.

But my personal order of the roms is as so:

1) ATOMIC

2) CM7

3) CM9

4) ELITEMOVIL

5) BLUEMONTE

6) STOCK

Ok, why do you prefer Atomic ?

Why do you prefer it over CM7 ?

Guest victormun

I agree with jikobutsu. It's all to personal preferences. My list would be:

1) CM7

2) ATOMIC

3) ELITEMOVIL

4) STOCK

5) BLUEMONTE

The reasons I choose CM7 as first one are: it has the Theme Chooser, it has the application S2E (which is the best App2SD for my needs), it gives a great performance and battery life on my phone. Therefore, it's the best one that suits my way. I love to be able to customize my phone in a easy way with just a few clicks. However, if you like to play or to film stuff, I'd recommend you Atomic 2.0, since it has the best videogame and camera performance.

Guest dibbles

IMO asking which ROM is "best" is far too subjective to have any real meaning to the individual and their needs. Unless one stands head and shoulders above the others, or conversely is appallingly bad, then it is more of a matter of which suits your requirements and the best way to work that out is through trying them and then deciding which is suitable for you.

For me I have tried most of the ROM's for the OMC and have kept with the Elitemovil Z3 one. It is fast and smooth and aesthetically pleasing. The GPS works fine and accurate and the BT file transfer works without issue. BT pairing is also good. As I never seem to listen to music on the phone I haven't got a clue how it performs in that respect.

I was a little unsure on whether I would like the default ZTE dialler, as I have been used to the AOSP one for a long time now on Android phones. But I have adapted to it fine.

My wife also uses the Elitemovil ROM.

I like the integration of the GUI for Darktremor A2SD, which is included, and once the SD card is formatted appropriately I have got lots of apps and games installed and still have 140mb free in the data partition of the ROM.

The only thing that I changed was the battery icon to a circle one on the status bar.

Battery life is good and lasts for around three days, but that too is subjective as it depends on your type of use. Still there is nothing strange showing under partial wakes which suggests that it is working fine.

Initially I first navigated towards the CM7 port as I was used to running that on the SF. I liked it (used build 257 nightly for a while on the SF) as it was stable and I enjoyed the built in tweaks etc.

Why don't you just nandroid your ROM with CWM. Use Titanium to backup all your apps etc and then try each of the ROM's you have asked about and then report back with your findings..?

It doesn't take long providing that you use something like Titinium and CWM to speed things a long.

Guest stiefanu

Hi,

in my opinion i prefer using cm7 rather than others. its cusomizable notification power widget is very very useful! However it has some negative aspect: it can't record 480p and it isn't so good for gaming. however because of a network trouble, i had to change rom and so i tried both etilmovil and atomic. they are similar, but now i'm using atomic, it's better for gaming and i like very much ics theme! (elitemovil has a sense theme, that is also nice).

Therefore i think there's not a best rom, but it depends on what you like doing with OMC.

This is my opinion:)

Edited by stiefanu

Guest victormun
Why don't you just nandroid your ROM with CWM. Use Titanium to backup all your apps etc and then try each of the ROM's you have asked about and then report back with your findings..?

It doesn't take long providing that you use something like Titinium and CWM to speed things a long.

Couldn't agree more with your post, dibbles. However, on the last part is something I'd like to point out: CWM is also capable of doing backups of all your apps. The way I change between ROMs to test them is:

1) Backup of the current ROM with CWM.

2) Wipe everything out (data, cache and dalvik)

3) Mount the SD and cut the Android/data folder to my pc

4) Install the new ROM and test it

(In case that I decide to return to my former ROM:)

5) Backup the new ROM (maybe I'd like to use it some day

6) Wipe everything out (data, cache and dalvik)

7) Mount the SD and cut the Android/data folder to my pc AND place the former one on the SD-root folder

8) Restore the Backup

I don't know if with Titanium it works easier but with this system I've had no problems at all.

Guest dibbles

@victormun - I suppose it is what you are used to, in the methodology you use to backup and restore your system.

I bought Titanium Pro a long time ago and so I'm used to working with it. I use it to...

Backup and restore my used apps / games with data and some system ones, with caution.

Remove system apps that I either forgot to take out of the ROM before flashing or that I no longer use.

Freeze system apps that I do not use per se but I might need and yet they keep the phone awake sometimes under partial wakes. The "gallery" was doing this for me and so it is now frozen.

I use the market tools to integrate some apps and games, I have the apk's for and installed, back into the market to get the updates needed.

I can then destroy certain market links to prevent certain apps updating or be remided of that update. For me the app Android System Information was useful up to the last update or so and then they seemed to have changed the widget available to a type I did not like.

I used to use it to move the apps and games to the SD card but now I have Darktremor A2SD installed I do not need to.

Integrate system updates of apps into the ROM.

I can extract from a CWM backup individual apps or games etc and restore them to a new ROM.

I could integrate the Dalvik cache into the ROM if required.

Other things can be done beyond the above but what I have written gives you some idea of why I use it. It has been one of the best buys I have made for an Android device.

All the above can be done just with the phone and without the need to use a PC etc.

Edited by dibbles

Guest Atomix86

My personal recommendation is atomic, as it has the proper camera spec unlike cm7 which is proprietary and thus low res, and beats out elitemovil as it doesn't require swap. The stock 2.3.5 generic rom isn't bad if you're looking fora vanilla "blank canvas" to customize so to speak, but the orange one is bloated and pointless IMO.

Guest Skate Away

IMO asking which ROM is "best" is far too subjective to have any real meaning to the individual and their needs.

Exactly why I asked these questions:

it is more of a matter of which suits your requirements and the best way to work that out is through trying them and then deciding which is suitable for you.

Yes, that's one way, but for myself (and possibly others) I'd rather have some idea of the relative features of each.

There's no point in trying them all if one of them has an important feature missing.

Personally, I've got no desire to try them all, it would be very pointless and take far too long, it's much better to ask questions first and then make a shortlist of which ones to try.....

smile.gif

Edited by Skate Away

Guest victormun
@victormun - I suppose it is what you are used to, in the methodology you use to backup and restore your system.

Indeed. Your system seems fine, too. That's why I said that there are several ways to do it. I prefer to use the PC cause it's easier for me to rely on it or to trust it.

hi , i would like to try CM Nightlies

anyone got a link to the download of the latest one ?

does camera and wifi work ok ?

many thanks chaps

Skate is not within the list of CM-nightlies. But we've got a port that Tilal made. Check it out here. Both WiFi and camera work flawless. The only thing is that the camera doesn't record on 480p.

Skate is not within the list of CM-nightlies. But we've got a port that Tilal made. Check it out here. Both WiFi and camera work flawless. The only thing is that the camera doesn't record on 480p.

Guest victormun

thanks , what does it record at , just vga ?

Indeed. And with 3gp format instead of mp4 (which is a massive quality-loss).

Is the CM7/skate camera issue related to video, stills or both ?

Just to recording video. Taking pictures and watching HD video (with MoboPlayer) works fine.

Guest dibbles

Exactly why I asked these questions:

Yes, that's one way, but for myself (and possibly others) I'd rather have some idea of the relative features of each.

There's no point in trying them all if one of them has an important feature missing.

Personally, I've got no desire to try them all, it would be very pointless and take far too long, it's much better to ask questions first and then make a shortlist of which ones to try.....

smile.gif

To be frank it is the only way to be sure that your own personal requirements are met in line with your expectations. It would not be pointless as you would then have the ROM which you know for sure best meets your expectations. It does not take that long, especially if it is important to you, if you make the required backups etc.

As you are on (?) CM7 you could try...

Elitemovil Z3 with the latest Kernel update and

Atomic version 2.0 with the patch and cosmetic type add-ons you prefer.

So that means only two custom ROM's to try which represent the most recent and up to date fully working ones.

victormun, for example, has noted the Elitemovil ROM as third on his list and yet I would have placed it first. Horses for course and all of that.

Why don't you list what you consider to be important for you and your phone needs....? Place that list in preferential order of what is the most to the least important of your day to day usage.

For me the top one might be battery life and BT.

Camera and video recording would be a close second.

Whilst at the bottom would be playing music.

The only thing that I do regret is that I never bothered to root the stock Orange ROM and debrand that. I was a little too quick to unlock the phone and install a custom ROM and I think that was influenced with my SF usage.

Good luck with your choice but, for me, there are no clear winners here just some great ROM's that some very generous developers have kindly shared with us and each of them work well.

Edited by dibbles

Guest victormun
The only thing that I do regret is that I never bothered to root the stock Orange ROM and debrand that. I was a little too quick to unlock the phone and install a custom ROM and I think that was influenced with my SF usage.

100% agreed with your post, dibbles.

And Dibbles, just to let you know (since you regret not to do it, hahaha): A few weeks ago, I rooted the original Orange ROM and added the Elitemovil Z1 kernel to it. With overclocking to 883 MHz and SmartAssV2 governor, I got a really decent performance. Actually, on the benchmarks it was really close to Elitemovil's ROM. Everyting worked fine. But the battery life was really disappointing. I consider my battery usage as medium (2G, Whatsapp, Mail and a few calls) and the battery just lasted like 15 hours. That's really poor since on every custom ROM I get at least one day. If you want, I can upload the backup I saved on my PC of that rooted-overclockable-OrangeROM so that you can try it!

Edited by victormun

Guest Atomix86

Is the CM7/skate camera issue related to video, stills or both ?

Just the actual recording of video. That coupled with the poor choice of preinstalled apps is the only thing putting me off the otherwise great ROM.

Guest dibbles

100% agreed with your post, dibbles.

And Dibbles, just to let you know (since you regret not to do it, hahaha): A few weeks ago, I rooted the original Orange ROM and added the Elitemovil Z1 kernel to it. With overclocking to 883 MHz and SmartAssV2 governor, I got a really decent performance. Actually, on the benchmarks it was really close to Elitemovil's ROM. Everyting worked fine. But the battery life was really disappointing. I consider my battery usage as medium (2G, Whatsapp, Mail and a few calls) and the battery just lasted like 15 hours. That's really poor since on every custom ROM I get at least one day. If you want, I can upload the backup I saved on my PC of that rooted-overclockable-OrangeROM so that you can try it!

I would have replied "yes please" and be eager to try out the Stock ROM. However, and here is the clincher, the battery life you have described would be a big no no for me. I get on average three days use of light phone calls and texts with occasional wi-fi use of the market. I would not like that to be less than a day.!

I gave up on using the SmartAss ver 2 governor in favour of the good old On Demand one as I found that when dialling my wife's phone I would often get a message that this persons phone is switched off when it was merely on standby. With the On Demand one it has not been a problem. However it might have been more of her choice not wanting to talk with me :D

Both of our phones are now set with the OD governor and clocked at 122mhz-902mhz without an issue.

Thanks again for your generous offer to share that ROM.

Guest Skate Away

Good luck with your choice but, for me, there are no clear winners here just some great ROM's that some very generous developers have kindly shared with us and each of them work well.

smile.gif

I did the same, I didn't really try the Orange ROM or supplied SIM, I just unlocked it (took 3 days to get the phone to connect USB sad.gif) and put CM7 on.

The reason why I stirred the hornet's nest was to encourage some healthy debate as to the merits of the various ROMs, also to get some of the features each has out into the open.

If the Skate can run ICS properly, I'll definitely give CM9 a go - once it has properly working audio....

As far as video recording, I'm happy to use a camera for that (I've got several dedicated video recorders), so not in the slightest bit bothered about what the video recording is like.

One feature which I do like is the DSP and while it isn't a deal breaker, I would miss it so a different ROM would have to offer something else to compensate..

Guest victormun

I would have replied "yes please" and be eager to try out the Stock ROM. However, and here is the clincher, the battery life you have described would be a big no no for me. I get on average three days use of light phone calls and texts with occasional wi-fi use of the market. I would not like that to be less than a day.!

I gave up on using the SmartAss ver 2 governor in favour of the good old On Demand one as I found that when dialling my wife's phone I would often get a message that this persons phone is switched off when it was merely on standby. With the On Demand one it has not been a problem. However it might have been more of her choice not wanting to talk with me :D

Both of our phones are now set with the OD governor and clocked at 122mhz-902mhz without an issue.

Thanks again for your generous offer to share that ROM.

LOL! I have had that problem, too. That's why I went back to OD with 122MHz - 883MHz.

Anyway, I'll upload it tomorrow since right now I'm busy with other stuff. You should give it a shot, maybe the battery lasts more with your usage smile.gif.

One feature which I do like is the DSP and while it isn't a deal breaker, I would miss it so a different ROM would have to offer something else to compensate..

Atomic 2.0 has an equalizer, too. So maybe you should try these two ROMs and decide between them.

Edited by victormun

Guest Skate Away

Atomic 2.0 has an equalizer, too. So maybe you should try these two ROMs and decide between them.

That's exactly the sort of information I was hoping to unearth....