[ROM] <<< Fish'N'Chips 7 >>> [2.3.5]

Guest raverrr

Guest Prettygrim

advice on changing partitions was one of my reasons for posting, so we hopefully didn't brick the phone. from what i have read, if partitions are changed, any backup done previously wont work as cant get it on to phone. also from what i read trying to recover the phone then is a real nitemare, so dont want that! using CM9 partition sizes (200/40/200?) would be fine? want to wait until CM9 is sorted properly before actually trying that though

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

cm9 works fine for me, the only 'major' problems is the choppy camera preview (which doesn't affect the quality of the photos) and the camcorder doesnt work.

Guest fr0do

Your backups will recover fine. All that wont work are nandroid restores from a different sized source. Now stop prevaricating and get on with it! :)

Guest irishpancake
advice on changing partitions was one of my reasons for posting, so we hopefully didn't brick the phone. from what i have read, if partitions are changed, any backup done previously wont work as cant get it on to phone. also from what i read trying to recover the phone then is a real nitemare, so dont want that! using CM9 partition sizes (200/40/200?) would be fine? want to wait until CM9 is sorted properly before actually trying that though

If you don't mind me saying Pg....you are obsessing about partition sizes on this device.....

you don't need to modify the stock partitions....

if you want more space for user Apps, you can move apps to SD storage....

either use native App2SD or the GUI App2SD I linked previously....

or use DT A2SD, by partitioning your SD card with sd-ext partition....

or use the linked App2ROM to convert some user apps to system apps.....

Messing with partitions can only lead to a brick!!!! IMHO

Guest Prettygrim

appreciate what you're saying but not obsessing about partitions at all, irishpancake. if you read what i have said previously, i cant get any more apps on the phone (no space) and nothing else will move to sd (cant gain space). i have to get some space from somewhere, hence the questions about partitions. if i could get the stuff on the phone as is, believe me, i would. if there is something i've done wrong and someone can correct me, please do so.

Edited by Prettygrim

Guest fr0do

Have you not partitioned your phone yet pg? :P

The Crescent is pretty identical to the blade, faster CPU is all, plus higher spec cam and extra front cam, so yes, you must have done something differently. Moving apps and a2sd moving them invisibly are 2 different things if I understand it correctly. With a2sd working your phone won't easily run out of space because _everything_ will be on the sd card. If you move the apps manually there will be parts of the apps left on the phone itself. Next - if you're restoring using Titanium I'd suggest that you're bypassing this process. After making sure a2sd is working properly... Try installing your apps from the market and then restore the data to them with TT. I think you're pushing it a bit expecting Titanium to work out how to transfer your setup from the blade. What rom were you using? F&C? Even that will be very different to the Crescent F&C rom.

You've already stated that you want to future proof in readiness for ICS, so there's no choice to be made here... install the ICS TPT already! :)

Edited by fr0do

Guest Prettygrim

as i said in my original posting, mate does phones for me. not my forte at all, so not done anything yet. hopefully will be looking at this over weekend. will post what happens if he can spare the time. if i touch it, things will go straight down the tube, trust me!! haha. cant afford to risk a brick. would be in deep crap i can tell you!

oh, using cm7 on my Blade1. no issues with it at all, but missus collared it, hence me getting vivacity.

Guest irishpancake

OK....

Pg, if you have such an enormous amount of Apps, your best option is to use the Dark Tremor A2SD scripts, which is supported on this device. You will need to create a sd-ext partition on your SD card, if you have a big enough card, I would suggest a 1G partition size.

When I did this on my Blade, I used the Mini-tool partition Windows program. Make this your first primary partition. There is an A2SDGUI App on the Market to manage the operation of the scripts.

Also, if you are going to put Dalvik Cache on SD, be sure your card is at least Class 6.....otherwise you will slow down your system. And remember, this will cause a lot of extra wear and tear on the card, because of so much accessing.

And as mentioned everything will be on SD, but will appear to you as if in Internal Memory. So don't use the native GB App2SD.....you will just be moving from one SD partition to a folder on the same SD card.

I used an App to force all Apps to Internal (which will be your sd-ext partition) cost some apps are written to move to SD card.

Edit::: For Prettygrim

Just checked this post and my keyboard auto corrected your initials.....

Please accept my apologies....and hopefully you took no offence??

:D

Edited by irishpancake

Guest Prettygrim

ok mate. if we manage to get at the phone over weekend, will try to do that. if not, then i'll just have to wait. cheers to all

Guest FranGlen

first of all, thanks guys for doing such a great job! works like a charm.

somewhat off technical:

i wonder if you guys can implement a kind of color chooser for the caller display? especially now as the days go brighter, this dark thing is barely to see (if you don't have a picture of the caller), and it's mood killing also...

of is there something out there to really change that?

Guest irishpancake

For Prettygrim

Just checked this thread and my last post, my keyboard auto corrected your initials.....

Please accept my apologies. I have edited to correct...

Guest Prettygrim

no worries, irishpancake. no offense taken, oink, oink, haha

all on hold now anyway. mate not very well. daren't try this at home, as they say. need the phone to keep working, even if not much on it.

Guest app10336

I've updated to rls 7 today. It's normal that system "filer.apk" was removed ? Really usefull app, and a lot better than new one.

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

Yeah Filer was removed, if you used Titanium Backup to back-up all your apps then you could restore it in FNC7.

Guest app10336

Yeah Filer was removed, if you used Titanium Backup to back-up all your apps then you could restore it in FNC7.

I don't backup system app. It's not a problem for me, just saying that may not a good idea for who using it.

I've pushed it by adb from older rom.

(sorry for my poor English ^^)

Guest Burdock

Noticed that the camera is upside down on my Vivacity since using RLS7... is this a known issue.... or something I've done my end?

EDIT.... Cancel that... rebooted and all is well now!

I've noticed I'm low on internal memory though since he change. I've moved as much as I can to SD and cleared the caches on the apps... but down to 15mb nonetheless... any tips appreciated!

Edited by Burdock

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

Download Titanium Backup and manually move most of your apps to SD (Hold down and click move to SD)- This allows you to move ANY application you want to your SD to save memory, I have moved every single one of my apps to my SD card and I have about 40mb left.

Hope i've helped.

Guest irishpancake

Hi Burdock....

I have used Apps2ROM because my System Partition is still Stock, and there is 200M, with only 150-160M of system Apps, there is room for more in system, which will free up internal storage. Just make sure you leave enough space in system/app for updates which may be bigger than original apps.

If you have a reasonable size SD card, and at least Class 6, you could use the built-in Dark Tremor A2SD scripts......

You need to make a sd-ext Partition on your SD Card, I would advise 1G[1024M]....this can be done from Recovery, or by using Mini-Tool Partition Wizard.

See threads:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/332954-app-gui-for-darktremors-apps2sd/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=991684

Using this tool, all your Apps appear as if in Internal Memory, and because the linux partition will be independent of your FAT32 partition, and USB connection to PC, Apps will be usable when connected to PC.....

you can also move Dalvik Cache to SD, but it will increase wear and tear, as there can be a lot of read/write operations.....however, if your card is fast enough, it should be OK.

Guest Burdock

Thanks to Curtis & irishpancake for your replies... I have tried the Titananium Back Up method in the first instance and now have 45 mb to spare (rather than 12 !). Just need to see if everything still works smoothly.

I will read up and on the second option.... always like to learn!!

Thanks fellas.