CyanogenMod won't install my LG 2X

Guest Joe Simpson

Guest Joe Simpson

Hi, I posted earlier about NVFlash not working, well I've now had to do that twice because I can't get a custom ROM to install.

I have no idea what's going wrong, I'm following http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/LG_Optimus_2X:_Full_Update_Guide and I can't seem to get it to work.

It will seem to install, but it just gets stuck at the LG Screen, but I know lots of people have got theirs to work. It's a P990 model so it should work. Also, I seem to 'loose' ClockworkMod recovery which is strange and shouldn't happen. I try to boot with Power+VolDown and I get "Software Update" screen which I don't think is right.

Does anyone have any foolproof instructions for getting a Custom ROM to work and actually boot.

Thanks,

Joe

you are not pressing the buttons right. hold volume down and press the power button until the lg logo appears. i started a thread about it two weeks ago, though my issue wasn't about getting dumped into the software update screen. once you get into recovery you'll be grand

Edited by dabl8

Guest Joe Simpson

you are not pressing the buttons right. hold volume down and press the power button until the lg logo appears. i started a thread about it two weeks ago, though my issue wasn't about getting dumped into the software update screen. once you get into recovery you'll be grand

I can get into CM recovery once and that's it, it resets back to what it was. I tell it to Wipe and Install CM and it says it's done it, but upon reboot I'm just stuck with a broken phone.

Guest Anil K Solanki

I can get into CM recovery once and that's it, it resets back to what it was. I tell it to Wipe and Install CM and it says it's done it, but upon reboot I'm just stuck with a broken phone.

Hi Joe, I'm no expert, but this is what I would do if I were in your position.

I'm assuming you have rooted your phone, and that there are no personal non replaceable items on your device, such as photos etc. Contacts and email's all safe if you are using Gmail. You also need to have a Micro SD card installed in your handset. Anything bigger than 256MB is fine for this.

1. Download CyanogenMod from HERE. This Kang file, is the ROM file. Also download Google apps from HERE. Put both these .zip files on the external Micro SD card installed in your handset.

2. Download ROM Manager from the Marketplace, the free version is all you need for your needs. But the paid version does have a few extra luxuries.

2. Launch ROM Manager, and hit Flash ClockworkMod Recovery, outlined in RED.

screenshot-1325242777011_9477.png

Then choose your device, outlined in RED.

screenshot-1325242794322-1_61a5.png

Once this is complete. Hit the Reboot into Recovery button, outlined in Green. This saves you having to do the "Vulcan Death Grip" (Volume Down + Power Button), to boot into Recovery. Which can be hit or miss if you don't get the timing right.

screenshot-1325242777011_5557.png

You should now be at the main menu in Recovery MODE. Which looks like this;

img_0919_7759.JPG

img_0920_867a.JPG

img_0921_1232.JPG

Using the touch key's scroll down to "wipe data/factory reset" to reset your device. This will wipe your data but not the ROM. Select this option, once completed, go back to the main menu. Then scroll down to "wipe cache partition". Once that's done, go back to the main menu. Then scroll down to"advanced", and select "wipe dalvik cache". Once completed go back to the main menu.

Now we've done the housekeeping, time to install a ROM. Scroll down to install zip from sd card. Select the kang file you downloaded in step one. The file should be called something like this; update-cm-7.2.0-RC0-Optimus2X-KANG-signed.P204-23.zip, install this file. Once that is complete, time to install Google Apps. In the same menu, locate the file named; gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip, and select the file to install.

Phwew, time to reboot. Go back to the main menu, and select the first option "reboot system now". Hopefully all has gone well and you should be experiencing your first boot into CyanogenMod. This will take 4-5 mins whilst the system builds some cache's and other techy stuff beyond my IQ level. Be patient and simply wait for the spinning arrow circling the skate board ANDROID to finish.

All these steps should take you less time than it took me to write this post. As always, have fun. Anil

Guest Joe Simpson

Thank you so much! It's booting up now! (I used CM on my old Wildfire!)

I think I used the wrong recovery before! :D

Edited by Joe Simpson

Guest Anil K Solanki

Thank you so much! It's booting up now! (I used CM on my old Wildfire!)

I think I used the wrong recovery before! :D

Excellent. Time to enjoy CyanogenMod running on a great handset. Have fun. Anil