[Development][ROM] Stock FROYO + 2.6.32 kernel

Guest pier11

Checked newest Google Maps 6.3 and found it renders graphics absolutely correct.

I had issue with graphics artifacts with previous version of Maps > 5.10 on cm7 - it blinked, did not render street names in all zooms correctly.

Don't know yet is it because of newer Maps or another platform.

Guest desalesouche

result of test rom 2012/02/16 with and without these files in init.d (97LagFree/BatteryLife/dalvikvm/ Kernelizer/S97ramscript/SDSPEED)

rom 2012/02/16 without change

tested with quadrant

ram:85

cpu integer:189

cpu floatpoint:17

2dgraph:81

3dgraph:235

databasei/o:50

sdcardwrite:52

sdcardread:123

cpufrequency:614

total:832

tested with fps2

avg:29 /stdev:11.22

Edited by desalesouche

Guest desalesouche

test rom 2012/02/16 with files in init.d

quadrant

ram:83

cpuinteger:188

cpufloatpoint:17

2dgraph:73

3dgraph:236

databasei/o:55

sdcardwrite:51

sdcardread:138

cpu:614

total 841

fps2

avg:29/stdev:10.65

so no significative improvements...

um840-20120216.zip (download is on the first page)

- added support for /system/etc/init.d scripts

- mounts /sd-ext partition if available

- ships busybox, e2fsck

Allows now to install DT Apps2SD

Pier, in the first post it still says:

Known issues:

- wifi can not wake up after sleep (problem is in kernel)

- gps icon stuck forever on notification bar, ignore it. (Known bug of eclair gps libs on froyo.)

Are these both still problems with this rom? I thought dr.flo had solved both of these for froyo.

youtube is running laggy/not fluide...same when watching( mp4) videos is there a way to to make that better? and how?

just replacing files?

For me in standard quality (not HQ) youtube runs fine. HQ is not supposed to work in this release.

Replacing files won't help, as it was "replaced" out of box (i.e. this rom had exactly the same libomx* files as u8150). And that combination did not allow even normal videos to play and record video from cameras. For that reason I've replaced three libOmx* (O-capitalized) from pulse/cm6 rom.

Pier, in the first post it still says:

Known issues:

- wifi can not wake up after sleep (problem is in kernel)

- gps icon stuck forever on notification bar, ignore it. (Known bug of eclair gps libs on froyo.)

Are these both still problems with this rom? I thought dr.flo had solved both of these for froyo.

not exactly,

- wifi issue is .32 kernel specific. Needs to be addressed.

- dr.flo's gps doesn't stop blinking when active on this stock rom, so I used gps libs from eclair, thus this bug with icon.

Guest desalesouche

it is possible to have HQ and non HQ on youtube....:) few days ago post and it works also on cm6 clean and cm72....

as I suspected:

adding

libmm-adspsvc.so edit: this one doesn't matter.

libOmxH264Dec.so

libOmxMpeg4Dec.so

libOmxVidEnc.so

from our proprietary files list makes

- non-HQ video work in youtube app

- video thumbnails in gallery

- playback video recorded by cam on other roms

- record video with camera

- BUT: disables HQ video in youtube. Now we need to find a mix of files that allows both....

Nevertheless I prefer the state with replaced libs over the state where only HQ slow motion was possible :lol:

i have done it and same result...so i first change libOmxH264Dec.so i took it from um840-20120213 and now i can see youtube with or without HQ./camera still work...

i also change libOmxCore.so but i think it doesn²t matter.

Edited by desalesouche

Guest desalesouche

otherwise what i wanted to exprim about videos during playing; is that the video jerk more than in cm72 by exemple(you see kind of jump instead fluidity).....hope someone would understand me...:blink:so something to do to make video more fluide?

Ok, so besides the video bug, the rom is stable. I had one reboot after hanging up from a phonecall and thats it.

The only other bug I can think of is not showing all the symbols (it shows squares instead).

So far the rotation haven't frozen, there is a lot of free space (so the cache and massive memory usage problem was a CM6 problem after all).

And that's it for now.

Again I love this rom. :)

Oh yeah, one more thing. Some live wallpapers work and some don't. I really wanted to use the spectrum thing with the music but… Oh well I can live withouth it. :)

And this is the last thing for today (before I go to bed).

Why is the volume so messed up? I would check the topic if there is something in the other pages, but for now I'm limited to my phone for the internet.

The only other bug I can think of is not showing all the symbols (it shows squares instead).

Thanks for testing and feedback.

It must be because I removed in last version a fallback meaty font - 3+MB. Might think to move it back at expense of something else, maybe ringtones...

I also pretty like this rom - light and compatible with most of apps on the Market. This is what Huawei have forgotten to give us...

And this is the last thing for today (before I go to bed).

Why is the volume so messed up? I would check the topic if there is something in the other pages, but for now I'm limited to my phone for the internet.

what do you mean by messed up? Too loud and non-linear to control?

well, likely because I removed incompatible original audio equalizer settings and did not provide ones from pulse... :)

Thanks for testing and feedback.

It must be because I removed in last version a fallback meaty font - 3+MB. Might think to move it back at expense of something else, maybe ringtones...

I also pretty like this rom - light and compatible with most of apps on the Market. This is what Huawei have forgotten to give us...

Yes, without it, Chinese is impossible.

One solution for more space is to move some of the apps in /system to /data (if you enable that). While you are working on the next update, you might want to consider replacing Vending.apk with the current version. It will auto-update anyway and just waste space.

But in my use of this rom today, it felt slower than CM6.1. And the CM6.1 I'm using is running at 528mhz, so this should feel faster at 614. Of course how it "feels" is subject to error, but I'm just reporting how is seems. But maybe that will result in better battery life?

Guest lloco73

I also like this rom. it seems stable enough.

But i'm a guy that likes being allways connected (when possible) by wifi and the wireless bug is, let's say annoying.

Pier11 says the the wifi problem is somewere on kernel.

it would be great to have this kernel reviewed for this problem (it's like we have a car but the engine is not working at 100% so the car will not work as expected).Nowadays wifi is a must have.

Also If kernel is working without problems we could then focus on the rom developmment.

Anyway this was/is allready a great step for our U8220/8230, never tought a few months ago that at this time we have not one but allready 3 different roms for test. Tested all three and my prefered is CM7.2 (daily use).

Edited by lloco73

Yes, without it, Chinese is impossible.

One solution for more space is to move some of the apps in /system to /data (if you enable that). While you are working on the next update, you might want to consider replacing Vending.apk with the current version. It will auto-update anyway and just waste space.

But in my use of this rom today, it felt slower than CM6.1. And the CM6.1 I'm using is running at 528mhz, so this should feel faster at 614. Of course how it "feels" is subject to error, but I'm just reporting how is seems. But maybe that will result in better battery life?

/data is enabled already. Apps available on Market are there and more. (That apps don't show up after being moved to /data, but I will replace them).

Vending app is old, but installing new one will negatively affect space used (I think).

Question is what else to remove from /system to give room to that monstrous font file?...

Did you use rom with dt a2sd? As only it enables swap. Enabling which noticeably improve system performance on low memory devices like u8220. Your favorite tune ups like swappiness=15 might also help.

Edited by pier11

Yes, I used a2sd and did all my usual tuning.

Apps like Music, etc. can go to /data. Media sound files can be deleted. I can't remember the Vending file size difference, but it seems a waste to have an old version file sitting in /system doing nothing after it auto updates. Makes more sense to me to move other apps to /data as a solution. So if there is any way to use the new version, I'd recommend it.

Guest mustafa_ale

some issue problem using this rom in my pulse

- pulse keep reboot when receiving sms

- Video playback not running, just sound no picture

- still appear white square animation boot

- i'm not sure with gps in my location, using ndrive11, never has gps satelite, said : no gps

Pier, if you are trying for more space, I looked at /system/app and am "guessing" all of the following can be moved to /data immediately with no adverse results:

Calculator, Deskclock, Gallery, GoogleQuickSearchBox, LatinImeTutorial, LiveWallpapers, LiveWallpapersPicker, Music, Protips, SoundRecorder, VisualizationWallpapers, and talkback. (Maybe just delete talkback; I've never left it in a rom; YMMV.) Moving those will save you 4.1mb. I'm sure there are others that would be fine to move as well, but you might want to think through what happens if a user has to do a hard reset and lose all those apps in /data temporarily. Deleting almost all audio files will probably save you another 1mb. (Is there any way to put audio files in /data and have the system find them? I don't know.)

The Vending you have is 1.8mb. Version 3.4.4 is 3.5mb, so yes, it is quite a bit larger. I still think if it is possible, it is worth it. But you might even take the risk of just putting it in /data and warning people not to delete it. :rolleyes:

... "guessing" all of the following can be moved to /data immediately with no adverse results:

Calculator, Deskclock, Gallery, GoogleQuickSearchBox, LatinImeTutorial, LiveWallpapers, LiveWallpapersPicker, Music, Protips, SoundRecorder, VisualizationWallpapers, and talkback.

One of the problem with apps from original rom moved to /data was that android stopped recognize them. Most of them. Maps was OK though. Take Talk for example.

If move back to /system - they start work again...

May be I will just symlink that monstrous font from /data :) Will test.

I like my latest (not yet published) arrangement, where all /data apps can be reinstalled from Market - gmail, youtube and others.

As for market I give it a try to put newer version of Market to /data and remain old one in /system (for talented users who will wipe their /data).

Edited by pier11

One of the problem with apps from original rom moved to /data was that android stopped recognize them. Most of them. Maps was OK though. Take Talk for example.

If move back to /system - they start work again...

May be I will just symlink that monstrous font from /data :) Will test.

I like my latest (not yet published) arrangement, where all /data apps can be reinstalled from Market - gmail, youtube and others.

As for market I give it a try to put newer version of Market to /data and remain old one in /system (for talented users who will wipe their /data).

Are you sure it wasn't a problem with your install script? I can't think of why you would have so much trouble getting them to install in /data. Are you verifying that all the necessary lib files are there? I'm at a loss for why it doesn't work, particularly since I know some of those can be installed the same as any third-party app from the Market.

Are you sure it wasn't a problem with your install script?

script is fine, apps are there. I still believe it has to do with deodexing and not re-signing.

For example here

• Based on the U8510-1V100R001C364B856 ROM
  • Fully de-odexed
  • System applications/framework re-signed with test keys

the dev points out as a feature that he re-signed stuff. That must be good for something, otherwise it would not be worth mentioning

script is fine, apps are there. I still believe it has to do with deodexing and not re-signing.

For example here

• Based on the U8510-1V100R001C364B856 ROM
  • Fully de-odexed
  • System applications/framework re-signed with test keys

the dev points out as a feature that he re-signed stuff. That must be good for something, otherwise it would not be worth mentioning

Maybe. But if it works while it is in /system without the odex file and without resigning, then I would think it would work in /data too.

But when I've had to work on odexed roms (RBM2 to make FTB), I used the dsixda kitchen. It automates deodexing and signing, so I just always did it.