CIFS Manager

Guest colheath

Guest colheath

I've installed CIFS Manager on the daughter's Vega running Vegacomb. I can mount the share and access my NAS successfully using 192.168.0.135/Qmultimedia and from there I can play the files, but I want to add seperate mounts for eg. music, movies, pictures, so /Qmultimedia/music etc. When I add the additional directory I get No such device or address.

Am am I missing something obvious or is this just not possible?

Cheers

Guest colheath

Don't you have to provide separate shares for the sub-folders for that to work?

192.168.0.135/Qmultimedia mounts successfully but 192.168.0.135

/Qmultimedia/Music or 192.168.0.135/Qmultimedia/TV gives me "no such device or address"

Guest Andy_E

192.168.0.135/Qmultimedia mounts successfully but 192.168.0.135

/Qmultimedia/Music or 192.168.0.135/Qmultimedia/TV gives me "no such device or address"

Yeah I meant don't /Music and /TV have to be separate shares?

Guest IanTurner

Yup, you can't login to a folder that isn't a share, you're meant to just map it as a drive having already logged into the share.

Solution lies in the nas drive (or not depending on whether it will allow sub folders of a share to be defined as ahares)

im 99% sure this is possible im sure i did it myself when i first started using cifs manager (these days i just mount the root directory of the nas rather than any specific folders in it)

are you sure you arnt just missing a "/"? as in 192.168.0.135/Qmultimedia/TV/

will have at my settings when i get home an see if i can work it out but im sure its possible

Guest HypoTurtle

Have you tried using ES file manager to find/connect to them. It can be a bit hit and miss; at least it was the last time I tried scanning for shares. Just give it a try. you need to flick your way to the LAN shares screen, hit new and scan.

It should at least be able to identify if your /Music folder is picked up as a shareable folder.

Guest IanTurner

Er surely that will only show up shares which according to the OP the music folder isn't as otherwise a scan would throw up every sub folder on the NAS.

Er surely that will only show up shares which according to the OP the music folder isn't as otherwise a scan would throw up every sub folder on the NAS.

Sounds right to me : you can only map to a share and not to a subfolder of a share so the solution AFAIK is as you said earlier - to make the music subfolder a share in its own right.

Guest HypoTurtle

Well I'm pretty sure that with ES file explorer once you get into the Qmultimedi folder you could long press on the music folder and create a shortcut as it were to it.

Also I can't see where on the OP that it states that the music folder isn't a share. CIFS manager doesn't run a scan if memory serves (at least not a good one). Would I not be right in thinking that you should be trying to access 192.168.0.135/Music rather than 192.168.0.135/Qmultimedia/Music. As the windows file system isn't used with shares; i.e. it should just be the computers IP address followed by the name of the share?

Guest IanTurner

Makes reference to adding "the share" indicating a single share directory. No references to any other shares just the OP wanting to mount them as such so you have assumed that they are shares for which there is no evidence.

Andy_E made reference to creating separate shares but the OP failed to respond (aside from assuming he meant shares on the cifsmanager rather than the nas).

QMultimedia says it's a QNAP NAS and that's the default share folder so time for the OP to dig into actual share creation on the nas I reckon.

Creating a shortcut might be an alternative but I suspect that the OP is up to something with other apps and not just trying to jump directly to the folders.

Edited by IanTurner

Guest colheath

I think I was trying to do something that's not possible. I wanted to mount the subfolders in Cifs Manager so that only specific folders would show up on the Vega, just to make things simple for the daughter. I've achieved the same result by giving her a login of her own and modifying the folder permissions accordingly.

Thanks for all the input