Google does the sensible thing and switches Google TV to ARM

Guest PaulOBrien

Google have announced that the next generation Google TV platform will switch from Intel x86 processors to ARM based processors.

The move, which is undoubtedly logical given the rest of the Android ecosystem and the lower power / noise options offered by ARM based devices currently, signals a renewed commitment to make Google TV access in the face of considerable adversity given the platform's lacklustre adoption to date.

The first devices based on ARM are expected to use the Armada 1500 chipset from former Intel subsidiary Marvell (how's about that for irony!) which offers...

• ARM v6/7-compatible PJ4B SMP superscalar dual-core CPU

• Award-winning Qdeo video processing technology with support for 3DTV

• Hardware-accelerated, dual-stream multi-standard, video decode and audio decode

• Low-power consumption enables fanless design

• Integrated Marvell dual-CPU SMP cores at 1.2 GHz

• Full suite of integrated peripherals (such as USB, Ethernet, HDMI, SATA, and SDIO)

That ticks all the boxes I want for my tellybox. ;)

More technical deets can be found in the Armada 1500 product brief.

473f13a0ebd1c032e3d4dc7517650023.png

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Guest Mark Dearlove

They have struggled with traction in the US as the only way to get it was by buying another box to plug into the TV. I think they are going the right way by getting the TV manufacturers to build it into the TV negating the need for the extra box. Add in Samsungs announcement of upgradeable TV hardware and I think next year will see the rise of the smart TV

Guest unrandomsam

If they drop x86 support stops it being able to work in a VM.

ARM is boring (Don't see why they don't use mips or ppc just for a change).

More arches in AOSP the better.

I don't think building it into the tv is a good idea (More to go wrong).

Things are best when people make / do what they are good at.

(i.e Manufacturers make hardware / Software Companies do software / TV companies make simple tv's).

Otherwise will end up with junk OEM interfaces on it. (At least project clearview the interface is mandated to be not changed that should be enough).

Guest unrandomsam

There is also the problem that Google is an ad company :

The most desirable feature for a smart tv to have would be :

Never show adverts under any circumstances (Either fastforward without you even seeing the screen or turn the screen off completely if its live tv).

I would prefer a monitor that is the size of a tv with loads of inputs.

Less to break. (No doubt they want us to replace the tv once a year like with phones.)

Better to add your own smart stuff as required.

Guest unrandomsam

Stuff like :

DNLA / Windows Media Centre Extender / mkv support / nfs / samba (Complete i.e AD / Homegroups etc) might be ok but only things that don't change very often.

And loads of ports.

(Having a TV where the performance degrades over time due to Android increasing in bloat is not something I would want to buy into - I change my TV at the most every 5 years (Other than if it goes faulty).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.