So can the Blade run ICS/CM9 smoothly ?

Guest Nick Rhodes

Guest Nick Rhodes

Been a lot of development for both ICS and CM9 for the blade, is it looking like the Blade will be able to run ICS/CM9 when they are stabilised/tested/released, without any performance issues ?

Cheers, Nick

Guest Nick Rhodes

When it's ready. Every time an impatient *** like you asks for an eta the devs are pulling their hair out. So stop asking.

I have not asked for an ETA you ignorant *** :P

Edited by Nick Rhodes

Guest Nick Rhodes

I have been digging and found this Youtube video which shows things are looking very promising, makes you wonder why Google said a Nexus One can't run ICS.

Guest deksman2

Just like you carefully avoided to ask for one I carefully avoided to say you did.

Actually, you were the one who apparently made an assumption.

The OP didn't indicate for an ETA on the ICS release date... merely asked on will the Blade be able to run it smoothly when it's done.

My take on the whole ICS on Blade idea is the following:

Hardware-wise, it's more than capable.

Since ICS is more gpu oriented for UI drawing and all, if properly optimized, then I see no reason why the ICS would run slow or encounter performance issues of any kind.

Theoretically, it should be on par with an iPhone for zooming, pinching, scrolling etc. when everything is switched over to the gpu, but gaming-wise, that's really an independent issue.

I'm hoping we can get all of the above with current battery capacity (4 days at standby with 2 days at moderate use) - technically, it should be done.

Offloading the gpu related tasks to the gpu itself (which is much more efficient for those tasks) will unburden the cpu which will be left to do tasks more suited for it.

Edited by deksman2

Guest robinhud2010

Well, until ics is adapted for the blade's gpu, all graphics will be rendered by the cpu rather than the gpu. I've tried out both cm9 and tom13b's ics versions and for both, transitions are slow but ok as long as the animations are turned off. However, once the animations are turned on, the phone becomes virtually unusable. Also, video playback via hardware codec is a no-go.

And to top it all off, camera's not working AT ALL. As cyanogen himself said:

Google has made some pretty major changes to the Android framework that break compatibility with older proprietary camera and graphics drivers in order to achieve some pretty insane performance,

But devs are already hard at work and we can hope to see workarounds for these bugs soon...

Guest brookergray

Well, until ics is adapted for the blade's gpu, all graphics will be rendered by the cpu rather than the gpu. I've tried out both cm9 and tom13b's ics versions and for both, transitions are slow but ok as long as the animations are turned off. However, once the animations are turned on, the phone becomes virtually unusable. Also, video playback via hardware codec is a no-go.

And to top it all off, camera's not working AT ALL. As cyanogen himself said:

But devs are already hard at work and we can hope to see workarounds for these bugs soon...

Hardware video codec is fixed for the skate. The animations are quote smooth now after a recent fix almost on par with gb.

well only thing i can say for now is this thread shouldnt even be open for such a question :P

why ?

Because we have cm9 already running fine on our blade and when cm9 be done (more fixed ) that means it will run better ;)

+ that there are 3 threads about AOSP ICS/CM9 and anyone who is curious could search few minutes and try cm9/ics aosp and feel it ;)

of course brookergray could answer little bit better but i am sure something is going on with him becuse one day i had the same thing :D

Guest brookergray

of course brookergray could answer little bit better but i am sure something is going on with him becuse one day i had the same thing :D

Care to elaborate?

Guest robinhud2010

Apply the patch or a newer ICS version. ;)

I'm on burstlam's rc04 mod of cm9, and i'm not aware of any more recent versions. As for AOSP, i've tried alpha 22 with the HW patch from skate. It's a lot better but still not quite as smooth as GB. But then again, GB didnt have so many animations.

Guest FrozenRealm

CM9 runs perfectly fine, trebuchet makes it lagg. Only problem is no camera and videos run at like 2fps. Haven't came across any problems otherwise. Seems to run a bit smoother than CM7 imo.

Care to elaborate?

what u wanna say ?

no i dont want anything from anyone

i just was defending you somehow

but there is also said ´no need of rudesness ´ ;)

as is mentioned in cm9 last posts ´´you dont have to reply ,just bite your tongue and move to next thread ´´(by Davidoff59) :P :P :D

Edited by jeddy1

Guest brookergray

what u wanna say ?

no i dont want anything from anyone

i just was defending you somehow

but there is also said ´no need of rudesness ´ ;)

as is mentioned in cm9 last posts ´´you dont have to reply ,just bite your tongue and move to next thread ´´(by Davidoff59) :P :P :D

It's feels weird that half the blade community is discussing what an asshole I am. :D