Strange behavior with grafik output

Guest GreenEyedAndy

Guest GreenEyedAndy

Hello everybody,

in the Galaxy S times I wrote a little app doing a simple particlesystem with some simple graphic.

This runs very well one my old Galaxy S. Last week I bought the Galaxy Nexus and I would like to see how the app is running one a dual core 1.2.

But for my disappointment the app is running disastrous slow. I friend of mine owns a Galaxy S2 an there the praticle bubble as I expected very much faster then on the Galaxy S.

Anyone any idea?

P.S. Please excuse my bad english - I am not a nativ speaker.

Guest Jeff Bower

Just as a guess, your app is probably single-threaded which means that only one core can be used - no change from the Galaxy S. As to why it's slower at 1.2GHz over 1 GHz, the Galaxy Nexus is 480x800 or 384,000 pixels. The Galaxy Nexus is 720x1280 or 921,600 pixels. You're pushing 240% more pixels with only 20% more CPU power. If you can easily scale the system to a fixed 480x800 you may see that it's much faster. If you can change your app to make it multi-threaded you'd also see a performance boost since you could use both cores.

Guest GreenEyedAndy

Hi Jeff,

thanks for the quick answer - I thought about this too, but the performance increase on the Galaxy S2 is much more than 20% - how could that be?

If you can change your app to make it multi-threaded you'd also see a performance boost since you could use both cores.

Guest Jeff Bower

I'm not sure exactly how your app works, but remember you have a lot more pixels on the Galaxy Nexus. If there's something about your application that makes it work harder when there are more pixels that could certainly explain it - for example if you have one particle for every 100 pixels you'd have 2.4x the number of particles on the Galaxy Nexus. The processors are also different, it's feasible the math you're doing on the back end is just much better suited to the Exynos 4210 on the S2, or the S5PC110 on the S instead of the OMAP 4460 for some reason.

Something else to try is on the Galaxy Nexus you can open up Settings --> Developer Options --> Force GPU Rendering and see if that helps.

Guest GreenEyedAndy

Hi Jeff,

the count of particles is time dependend. The particle die after 1,5 sec on the screen. So it shouldn't depend on the resolution. I tried the GPU-Setting and see a slightly performace gain but still not comparable to the Galaxy S.

I have in mind that for some future extension I build an instance of SensorManager but don't use it. Is it possible that this causes some performance drain on this device? Maybe we're on track of a firmware issue!

Thanks for your suggestions

Edited by GreenEyedAndy

Guest GreenEyedAndy

I deleted the Code Parts with the SensorManager and again I get a little more Performance. I think it's now on Galaxy S Niveau.

I have no idea how to gain more performace.

Edited by GreenEyedAndy