ClockworkMod Recovery v.4.0.0.8 - Backup - No sd-ext found

Guest ltpitt

Hi all!

I've tried to fully backup my working rom so I can switch easily among t&l and miui...

I have problems with my sd-ext partition.

Even if it's perfectly working and recognized (it's etx4) when I backup it from clockworkmod recovery I get:

No sd-ext found

Skipping backup of sd-ext

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks!

I've brutally formatted everything, partitioned again with clockwork mod and now discovered that may work was useless :D

You can always copy /paste the sdext# directory onto the fat32 partition. copy it back when you load that rom.

Smeelious you always have the tastier info!

So I just need to manually copy the beast somewhere else...

Link2sd "eat" this change without problems, right?

Thanks! :)

You can always copy /paste the sdext# directory onto the fat32 partition. copy it back when you load that rom.

Sounds simple but not sure how to go about it, can't use the laptop to do the business cause it can't read the sdext# directory. Neither can I use file explorer etc from the phone because AS2DGUI has moved all the programs over to the partition .

Its a complete mystery to me why the clockwork recovery will happily create the partition but then not be able to find it to back it up.

Grateful for any advise.

I Handle this with a workaround using Linux (you can use a livecd if you don't feel like installing) but I'd seriously love to have the recovery fixed to backup also sd-ext. Wink. Wink. Wink.

Sent from my Liquid MT using Tapatalk

I Handle this with a workaround using Linux (you can use a livecd if you don't feel like installing)

Can you expand a little, know nothing about Linux

Thanks

Can you expand a little, know nothing about Linux

Thanks

Of course, my friend...

Well keeping in mind that the only professional solution would be seeing my dreams come true:

http://android.modac...ost__p__1892394

I can tell you how to do a workaround that will also allow you to touch a bit the wonderful linux world on the desktop side (because you already have it in your smartphone, of course :) ).

The simplest way to try linux without dying, formatting your precious data and bribing strangers is choose your distribution.

Distributions are different flavours of linux.

A bit like ice cream: in the end it's ice cream but you can get strawberry or chocolate.

Distributions have slight change in some angles of computing approach phylosophy (install managers, pre-installed apps, desktop managers and so on).

What you want is something that works and that doesn't make you feel an alien (where's the start button? where's my desktop? aaarrgh my icons!!!).

I have two suggestions:

Ubuntu: that's linux today, for a lot of us. Not everyone but a lot. A lot always means something.

You can find it here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Mint: a distro derived from ubuntu that sticks a little bit more to the "classic" way... How purist intend that linux should be like (a.k.a. it has a gnome desktop). But it has a lot of care for new users (the installation is really pain-free) and a lot of comfort and eye candy.

You can find it here: http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=92

Both can be downloaded and burnt on a cd.

Then you put your cd in and start your computer from that cd.

Then you choose NOT to install but to try linux.

Then you enjoy it and use its file manager to do nasty stuff to your ext partition on your phone :)

To visualize all partitions on your phone you just have to plug usb and enable usb connection on android.

Have fun!

ps

wow so you can surf the internet, use your scanner and printer from an operating system NOT installed running from a cd?

Interesting, huh?

I hope you'll like it :)

if you need other help just let me know.

Edited by ltpitt

Thanks for that brilliant piece of information ltpitt

Its an impressive piece of software

Then you enjoy it and use its file manager to do nasty stuff to your ext partition on your phone :)

only problem for me is that when I try to access sd-ext I get the message:

The folder could not be displayed. You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "sd-ext"

... and I was so near :(

Could you assist once more?

What distro did you choose?

You should open a terminal and digit:

sudo nautilus

and use the file manager that this command will open to copy / move your files :)

Edited by ltpitt

What distro did you choose?

You should open a terminal and digit:

sudo nautilus

and use the file manager that this command will open to copy / move your files :)

I'm using the ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso image running from cd

Have to go out now but will give it a try on my return and let you know how I go on.

Thanks again

Attempt to fix sd-ext issue on restore : http://fileshost.fr....-3.0.1.zip.html

Vache! Thank god you saw my help request! :D

I have just:

formatted / partitioned my sdcard using your clockworkmod recovery.

The I've started a backup and everything went fine until:

Could not mount sd-ext. sd-ext backup may not be supported on this device. Skipping backup of sd-ext.

Vache! Thank god you saw my help request! :D

I have just:

formatted / partitioned my sdcard using your clockworkmod recovery.

The I've started a backup and everything went fine until:

Could not mount sd-ext. sd-ext backup may not be supported on this device. Skipping backup of sd-ext.

Try this :

http://fileshost.fr.mu/download/87/RecoveryMT-3.0.1-v2.zip.html

@vache

Got the same result as Itpitt on both the new versions :(

@Itpitt

Tried to run sudo nautilus as suggested which reported

"Nautilus could not create the required folder "root/.config/nautilus. Before running Nautilus please create the following folder, or set permissions such that Nautilus can create"

:mellow:

Probably a silly question but I notice that the permissions on the sd-ext folder are set at rwxrwx--x . Would changing them to rwxrwxrwx make any difference?

Still stuck :(

@vache

Got the same result as Itpitt on both the new versions :(

@Itpitt

Tried to run sudo nautilus as suggested which reported

"Nautilus could not create the required folder "root/.config/nautilus. Before running Nautilus please create the following folder, or set permissions such that Nautilus can create"

:mellow:

Probably a silly question but I notice that the permissions on the sd-ext folder are set at rwxrwx--x . Would changing them to rwxrwxrwx make any difference?

Still stuck :(

Argh you're right!

I've never tried to use super user from a live cd...

Try this:

http://googlethem.com/ubuntu-live-cd-root-password-and-live-session-password-for-user-ubuntu/

POST EDITED 7/2/2012

Correction to instruction 6) amended passwrd to passwd

- sorry about that

Argh you're right!

I've never tried to use super user from a live cd...

Try this:

http://googlethem.co...or-user-ubuntu/

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

It works! SUCCESS Many thanks lpitt

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

For anyone else in my predicament (there will be many) I will summarise lpitt's excellent advisen - that worked for me.

1) Download ubuntu and install on a CD (following advise in the following link)

http://www.ubuntu.co...ubuntu/download

2) Follow the TRY it instructions

3) If successful you should be on the Ubuntu desktop by now

4) Connect your phone and make ready for data and - Turn on USB storage on phone

5) Open the terminal program (The one from the CD not phone)

6) Type: sudo passwd ubuntu then follow the instructions to create a password (don't expect to see dots or anything as you type)

7) If successful you will be informed the password has been changed

8) Type: sudo nautilus

a file manager should load ( In my case I got errors the first time)

If so close the file manager window and retype: sudo nautilus

9) You should now have access to the partition on your SD card

Many many thanks to lpitt

.... and best of luck to vache in his attempts to get the clockworkmod recovery to back up and restore the partition which would make all the above unnecessary.

I now have the piece of mind to know I have the tools necessary for a successful restoration of my phone should my sd card fail.

Thanks lpitt for all your patience - Your a STAR!

Edited by bstock

I am so glad you did it!

stars are all our great devs, mine was just less than basic information about wonderful Linux world.

Thank you for writing an accurate tutorial that will be handy for someone else :)

That's perfectly in the spirit ;)

Sent from my Liquid MT using Tapatalk

Detail to add:

Clockwork recovery can't backup sd-ext but can perfectly format it (I've just learnt it at my expenses during a wipe)

Edited by ltpitt