Evi the Siri-a-like - too popular for it's own good

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Despire the recent deluge of Siri-alikes, finding one that works as well for Android as Siri does for iOS has so far been impossible . That was until earlier this week when Evi was announced. It boasts similar understanding of plain speech, as opposed to specific commands like Google’s own voice recognition, as well as gathering results from a much larger range of sources than Siri - allowing it to work much better outside the USA (the developers are UK based).

Does it work? Quite simply… it’s hard to tell. After it was initially announced and picked up by tech sites, a deluge of users descended upon the Beta servers and even now, a few days later it is hard to get a response from the application. Luckily, in the rare opportunities that I can get a connection… it actually works! I asked it plainly what the time was in different parts of the world, and I got quick answers. Similar questions also get good responses.

So, when it works, it does work well. Unfortunately, it has received so much attention that finding a time when the servers aren’t too busy to handle your request is very hit and miss. When they beef up their servers and add new features (such as being able to add to the calendar, etc.) it seems like we may finally see a very competent competitor to Siri.

Evi can be downloaded from the Android Market.

evicrop.png

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.