New device, not enough memory problem

Guest Petexx

Hi Guys,

I'd like to point out that I've never had android device before and I'm hoping you could help me with my query.

I bought this phone for my partner a few days ago. I still haven't opened the box yet as I wanted her do it herself.

I've heard that this phone suffers from low internal memory problems. I can't imagine my girlfriend to be heavy user but I'd like her to have a device that she can comfortably use.

Can you please point me into the right direction how to overcome this problem? I don't see a reason to have any custom roms. I just want the phone not to give any error messages whenever she wants to install a new app.

Thanks a lot.

Pete

Guest Smeelious

Hi Guys,

I'd like to point out that I've never had android device before and I'm hoping you could help me with my query.

I bought this phone for my partner a few days ago. I still haven't opened the box yet as I wanted her do it herself.

I've heard that this phone suffers from low internal memory problems. I can't imagine my girlfriend to be heavy user but I'd like her to have a device that she can comfortably use.

Can you please point me into the right direction how to overcome this problem? I don't see a reason to have any custom roms. I just want the phone not to give any error messages whenever she wants to install a new app.

Thanks a lot.

Pete

Follow the steps for installing a custom recovery,

then

Partitioning your SD Card for A2SD/Link2SD

then

How to Root Non-Rooted ROM's

Then

download Link2SD from the android market.

http://android.modac...n-your-sd-root/

Follow the steps for installing a custom recovery,

then

Partitioning your SD Card for A2SD/Link2SD

then

How to Root Non-Rooted ROM's

Then

download Link2SD from the android market.

Thanks for your reply, but I'm a bit confused.

Which steps do I need to follow exactly for custom recovery? It seems to be combined with custom rom flashing which is something I don't want to do.

Guest ciauasd

Follow this steps:

1- download driver for PC (here) and install it.

2- plug your phone to the PC.

3- download the latest OS (here) and follow the procedure to install it to the phone.

4- download recovery (here) and install it to the phone

5- download a custom ROM like (t&l) and put the file.rar on SDcard

5- when the phone is turn off... press: vol+,power and focus (halfway) until the recovery starts

6- in the recovery select: install ROM from SDcard --> choose file.zip that you have downloaded

7- when the procedure is finished reboot the phone

8- now you can install app2sd and you've a custom rom

P.S. in t&l should be link2sd... i think that it's the same thing...

P.P.S. this's the procedure to flash a custom rom to the phone... it isn't difficult...

SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH!!

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by ciauasd

Guest darren_

You do not need to install a new ROM to increase the memory available to store apps. I am still running Acer 2.3.5 and find my phone is running nice and smooth so have not bothered to update to 2.3.6.

I have root'ed my phone, though, and used Titanium Backup to remove some of the Acer bloat. I then used Titanium backup (paid edition only I think) to move the Dalvik cache to the System partition to save memory (see http://android.modaco.com/topic/349043-which-stock-apps-are-safe-to-remove/ and http://android.modaco.com/topic/349194-tip-for-getting-another-20meg-back-rooted-devices-only/ ).

I used to use the standard Froyo method to transfer apps to the SD card, but then I decided to partition my SD card and use links2sd, which can move more apps (including widgets) and retains the use of them when the phone is connected to the computer. This tutorial was useful - http://androidforums.com/x8-all-things-root/295488-root-install-use-link2sd-your-x8.html. I now have lots of apps installed and still have 90MB free.

I would suggest you use the phone for a few days before rooting it, though, to check that the hardware works OK.

Thanks for all your answers.

I've now rooted the device and have also installed T&L custom ROM.

My question is, do I need to partition my SD card? What do I need to do it for and what is the benefit of doing so?

Thanks

Edited by Petexx