Acer Liquid Metal, problem when upgrading from 2Gb to 16Gb

Guest ginella

Guest ginella

Hi all,

I recently bought an Acer Liquid Metal which came with a default 2Gb microsd card.

I decided to upgrade the memory to 16Gb and went for a really cheap offer on amazon where I bought a microsd for less than £10 delivered(bargain!).

Then I've upgraded it as without following any procedures at all :-) and that's where I think I went wrong.

All I've done was to :

- Take a backup of what was on the old card (just a simple select all, ctrl+c)

- Paste all the content into the new new card.

- Swap the cards over

- While doing this I've unmounted the card via the settings options/phone, switched off/on,etc...so the phone is seeing the 16Gb of available space

Unfortunately I've got the following issues:

- I'm still getting messages/errors re: space issues when I install/use apps as if the 16Gb aren't there! I can use the space by copying files/videos on the card, which is fine, but the apps seems to be clashing with it or maybe the phone is still not seeing/recognising there's plenty of space!

- As a workaround I've moved all the apps I could into the SD card using the standard options

- I cannot remove those apps that were installed by defaults(eg standard browser,etc)

- Sometimes it takes a while for the screen to wake up with the power button and/or to unlock it while I'm using the default app/folding page as a screensaver/lock....(this happened before the upgrade as well)

Could someone please let me know if/what I could do to fix the above ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best Regards,

Ginella

Guest Smeelious

Could someone please let me know if/what I could do to fix the above ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best Regards,

Ginella

Your SD card is working correctly. Apps are stored by default into the internal storage of the device, which is limited to 512MB, of which you can only really access 200MB or so. Of that 200MB probably 100MB or more is taken up by apps you can't get rid of without Rooting your phone.

So regardless of how large your SD card is, your app storage doesn't change, unless.....

You root your phone, create a second partition on your SD card, and use something like Link2SD to move the apps to the SD card.

Check k0zmic's guide here;

http://android.modaco.com/topic/346043-guide-how-to-install-a-custom-rom-partition-your-sd-root/

for help on that.

Guest ginella

Hi,

Thank you so much for redirecting me to that post. I think I will try and go ahead with it.

I'm totally new to android, rooting, etc but I believe the current OS/options of limiting the memory down proves quite a lot of inflexibility, which is a bit disappointing :-( 100Mb for any new/different ups? That's nothinggggggg :blink:

I've got two more questions I'm hoping you guys could help me with :

1) I would like to make sure that if I get something wrong I will be able to bring everything back to as it was before without any trouble but I'm not sure if/how I could do this? Which are the steps that I would need to perform to restore everything back to as it was before I started ? Ideally a section could be created on the guide as a separate section ?

2) Is the guide working on ANY liquid metal with ANY configuration ? eg back in the days I remember I modded the xbox360....there were different actions depending on the HW configuration and some models couldn't even be modded at all...I'd like to make sure this would def work before I start

This is def the first thing I will look into for my new baby while the second one will have to do with batteries(I have to recharge it daily and as soon as I do a full recharge and disconnect it from the USB the battery goes down to 80% and by the end of the day I'm down to 20% with a very sensible use of wifi, gps,etc). Again this is another let down (and again this is my personal opinion only) :P

Thanks a lot in advance for all the help you are going to give me! :)

Your SD card is working correctly. Apps are stored by default into the internal storage of the device, which is limited to 512MB, of which you can only really access 200MB or so. Of that 200MB probably 100MB or more is taken up by apps you can't get rid of without Rooting your phone.

So regardless of how large your SD card is, your app storage doesn't change, unless.....

You root your phone, create a second partition on your SD card, and use something like Link2SD to move the apps to the SD card.

Check k0zmic's guide here;

http://android.modac...n-your-sd-root/

for help on that.

Guest Smeelious

I've got two more questions I'm hoping you guys could help me with :

1) I would like to make sure that if I get something wrong I will be able to bring everything back to as it was before without any trouble but I'm not sure if/how I could do this? Which are the steps that I would need to perform to restore everything back to as it was before I started ? Ideally a section could be created on the guide as a separate section ?

You can return your phone to factory settings / stock ROM fairly easily. People on the forum have done it with their screens not working. As a quick note, it's very hard to permanently mess up the Metal. Follow the guides and you should be ok.

2) Is the guide working on ANY liquid metal with ANY configuration ? eg back in the days I remember I modded the xbox360....there were different actions depending on the HW configuration and some models couldn't even be modded at all...I'd like to make sure this would def work before I start

This shouldn't be an issue. As far as I've seen no models of the metal have had this problem. (My TF101 on the other hand...)