Please recommend a rom for a noob

Guest freebooter

Guest freebooter

Hi, I have just got a 2nd hand Racer. I would like to install a newer rom (currently stock 2.1) but I am unsure which one to go for, there is too much choice :o

All I want to do with the phone is basic calling/texts, wifi and gps at the moment. So I am looking for a basic reliable rom that is fully functioning and gives good battery life.

Is the pinned 'How to' still the best method to install a new rom on a stock phone?

thanks

ps My phone is a UK one if that makes any difference.

Guest redhawkuk

A lot of the 2.2 and 2.3 ROMs are mods from unofficial sources ( http://raceroms.co.uk/ ) you may find some work better than others or have missing features.

To start with you need to install CWM aka ClockworkMod it's what you need to install / backup ROMs from your memory card.

If you're not really bothered about gaming then I would suggest you try Ricky Wyatt's v2 Android 2.1

It's essentially the same ROM as your existing phone but with the Three UK crap removed, rooted and comes with 5 desktops.

Richard S.

Guest equiliym

well, as plegdroid once said, you can try racerboys 2.3 roms, they are working and are fast or if you want something different, you can try my wbs or wbm roms, different looks and style :P

Guest freebooter

Thanks for the replies. I have seen version 244 of racerboys roms recommended for a reliable version so I am tempted to try that one out to start with although the Lewa version looks very nice.

However, the roms listed on raceroms have a with swap and without swap version. Which one should I use? Also the 244 without swap link seems to be dead.

thanks